Different Reg. at registration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ice643

Hi,
can a car have a different registration no. at reg. and then change.
Because i have found out that my car had a different reg. no.
On the logbook it does say car may have been used overseas/ registered.
It has a different reg now on the logbook.
In the service book its different .Everything else is fine VIN no.
also it had a Private Reg.
Thanks

Can have any plate as long as it isn't a newer date plate than the car actually is.

Can have any plate as long as it isn't a newer date plate than the car actually is.
So the DVLA can change the no. anytime.?
At time of reg. it had x939hrd and now it has a different no starting with x. in between it had a private reg and maybe used overseas.
Thanks

Last edited:
No, but when it returned from being overseas it sounds like it was assigned a new number.

Nowadays DVLA tend to reissue a car's original number when a personalised plate is taken off, providing said original number hasn't already been reissued elsewhere.

However, that hasn't always been the case (I forget when it changed) and a car would often have been reissued with an age related number relevant the the local DVLA office. They would consider requests for the original number, if it was still un-issued, ie if you had the regn number etched in the glass etc..

I've had several cars that were sold with different numbers to the original number) after the personal plates had been taken off.

In short, yes, it's quite possible.

Nowadays DVLA tend to reissue a car's original number when a personalised plate is taken off, providing said original number hasn't already been reissued elsewhere.

However, that hasn't always been the case (I forget when it changed) and a car would often have been reissued with an age related number relevant the the local DVLA office. They would consider requests for the original number, if it was still un-issued, ie if you had the regn number etched in the glass etc..

I've had several cars that were sold with different numbers to the original number) after the personal plates had been taken off.

In short, yes, it's quite possible.
Thanks for all the replies,its put my mind at rest.

Usually the original would be retained and subsequently reissued, however if the car was UK registered, taken abroad, and then returned and registered in the UK then the DVLA may not have been aware that it was previously registered in the UK and issued a completely new number. Just a hunch.

Usually the original would be retained and subsequently reissued, however if the car was UK registered, taken abroad, and then returned and registered in the UK then the DVLA may not have been aware that it was previously registered in the UK and issued a completely new number. Just a hunch.
Its showing clear on HPI and has only 1 owner, think it went abroad.

The car I run had the number changed to a cherished number in 2010 it was after a couple of years changed back to the original number I then put my personal reg on it ,and when I sell it I suspect I will get the old reg back it helps if that happens because you have the old plates,I have never had to have a different number from DVLC I accept it could happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom