Different tires or different thread left on the same axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hi,
Me and my dilema about tyres...
I have two option here:

Option 1: I can get 2 michelin Pilot HX tires on the rear axle but, there is always a but, one spanking new and the other with only 4mm thread left... would that change the way the car react? Or,

Option 2: 1 spanking new Michelin HX and 1 spanking now Hankook Ventus K102. The Ventus been a summer tire I am a wee worried there as on the grip in the wet, yes, its very wet here, compare to the grip that is suppose to be better on the Michelin...
Now,option 1, option 2 or both are equaly good, or both are not recommended?

Thank you :)

is the 4mm one the back on currently? if so i say part worn to match it then let them die together and replace together therefore keeping consistency and everything the same, or even if its not the exact same tire in part worn get similar with same tread etc and you are only running them till they go then, i personally wouldn't do either option 1 or two.

Are the Michelin and Hankook the same tread pattern.. i.e. symmetrical or asymmetrical?

From what I can gether they are both symmetrical.
The tyres are not on the car yet.
I only have those 2 ioption, this is why I ask before putting either one on the rear axle.
Cheers.

if theyre both the same pattern then id go for two new, however ive just google imaged them and the michelin is an asymmetrical pattern and i see the hankook is symmetrical so that still leaves in a quandary :'( Any reason why they are the only two options mate?

Any reason why they are the only two options mate?

Because those are the only 3 tires I got right now as I could only afford it. Then there is no other choices.

They say Michelin is symtric?
""
The symmetric tread design provides traction on dry, wet and snow.""
Tyre Reviews & Tests - Etyres - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

Or is it wrong?

Option 1 sounds the best option out of the two posed but what are the remaining three tyres? Maybe there are other options.

my apologies Oliver the first pic i saw seems to be different from the mxm4, you are indeed right its symmetrical (same pattern across the whole tyre). The Hankook is a directional tyre, mixing two different tread patterns can cause uncertainty but of course it depends how you drive.. if theyre the only options then id go one new tyre keeping it the same. You wont notice the extra few mm on your car.

sorry i meant option 1 not one new tyre...

Cheers.
then best option is the Michelin on the same axle but different thread high, is that correct?
My driving style, humm, I drive it... and sometimes cruise it nicely ;)
Hi Spike,
The other two tyres at the front are OK ish. I just need traction, the car is wobbly at the rear end... The fat bottom like to go t the front ...

yeah if it was mine with those options thats what id do and i like to 'drive' too shall we say and of course cruise nicely at times ;)

ps.. its a merc.. course its wobbly at the rear end ;)

I need new rear-subframes bushes too, it doesn't help either.
The first E I had was fitted with SAVA tires, Oh dear, that was scary, I was amazed when I got some Falken fitted, this was night and day in the handling.
I also had the subframe bushes and the shocks replaced. The handling was so much better..
The one now as trouble starting from a slight slope in the wet, there is little grip... Craptires I guess? This is why I need other tyres...

no that wont help :)
haha nice.. my first 208 CLK came with nankangs... like you say.. holy crap! put me off going round corners for life!!

hehe, what tyres are on the rears atm mate? is yours an estate or saloon?
tbh the second a set of new tyres drops below half, then mine wheel spins for fun and i always use decent tyres.

Don't remember what I have at the moment. I look at it and report. That will be in the "not to buy" tires... They are OK on the dry, but its not often at the moment...
with the SAVA I tought the car was just badly handling the road. I was so wrong..
Got few fright on the roundabout...
Its a Saloon, I wish I had an Estate tho... I wonder gow the handling is with the citroen suspension on the Estate? might be a wee sloppy/ soft?

every tyre is 'ok' in the dry haha. yeah let us know so we can avoid too!!
haha yeah amazing what a decent set of boots does, problem with mine (and more than likely my driving) is it goes through tyres like theyre free... i keep telling it theyre not but he never listens ;), i only seem to get a year or so out of a set and i do less than 10k a yeah.. when split size conti's are around £800 a set its borderline insanity frankly! no wonder im a fan of part worns!

there might be a little more weight over the back on an estate is suppose.. more than mine il guarantee lol

ps.. also you say you had falkens? where they the ever common 452's? how did you find them compared to anything else? ive always been tempted by the price of them..

MB officially say that the tyres should all be of the same make and model, and wear, or it will confuse the ESP/ABS (is your car fitted with these?).

And, in theory, having different tread or different wear on tyres on the same axle could also cause premature wear of suspension components (due to unbalanced load on the suspension).

So on the face of it, neither option is a good solution, but it would seem that having the same model but different wear will be less detrimental than having two completely different patterns.

Said that, I often see cars with mismatched tyres, so while personally I am very pedantic about it and always change tyres in complete sets of four, to be honest I am not sure to what extent this has any significant effect on day-to-day motoring.

I had both Falken 452 and 912 ( I think its 912)
topclass for the 452, the 912 less grip but unidirectional then you keep them for longer as you change the tyre in a cross pattern yourself without the need of a tire fitter.

After all this its going to be opttion 2...
The 4mm Michelin was more like less then 3 too me...
The little dot in the thread was very very close to the pattern at some places...No point getting that andpay for the fitting.

I am with you Mark, amazing here how many cars got different tires on the same axle, I saw a merc once with 4 different tyre brands, EEK!
I am going to be part of the group now too for a wee while :(

Last edited:
What I am missing????

Quality product that has performed and after 49,000 miles still has 4m tread remaining (1.6 is legal limit). Fitted 2 Firestones and 2 Michelins at the same time, and after 49,000 miles (and being swapped from front to REAR) both Firestones have even more tread than the Michelins ! Am looking to change for new now, but on current usage these tyres would get to 55,000 miles and beyond and still be legal !...

Firestone Firehawk TZ 200 Fuel Saver Tyres Reviews | Tyres | Review Centre

my tires only last 13000 max...
How do they do :dk::dk::dk:

I've missed something too. I wish I could get that from tyres lol. Think when my avons run out il try the falken 452s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom