Different tyres on the rear??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
Noticed today my rear tyres was getting low ( c63 ) conti’s all round. I have a nearly brand new Dunlop sport maxx in the garage from when I had to get one as an emergency cos I got a blow out and couldn’t get conti’s.

Dilemma is to save some dosh and buy one sport maxx so I’m running conti’s on front Dunlop’s on rear or go with all matching.

As long as they match across the axle then it should be fine if they’re different front to rear. But that said, it can cause irritating or even dangerous behaviour in extreme conditions. Personally, I’d sell the Dunlop and buy a matching set.

You can definitely feel mismatched tyres front to rear. I've done it several times whilst changing brands and it's always a relief to get them all the same. I wouldn't choose to mismatch.

It depends a lot on the tyres. If you mix tyres with significantly different performance than yes you will notice the difference. I had Goodyear’s on the rear and Michelin on the front. No noticeable difference when I changed the fronts to Goodyear’s. That said you don’t want to be driving a car like yours and scrimping on budget.

Cheers guys. Going on the advice I’m going the single Dunlop route. Prob won’t be on there long judging on how quick the conti’s have lasted. And it’s not a daily drive either lol.

Save yourself the money. Makes no difference whatsoever unless you have OCD.
The only time it can cause issues is in extreme wet weather but AMGs can skid/tramline with all 4 Tyres the same anyway.
I wouldn’t bother. Mercedes would sell you a car with 4 different Tyres on their used scheme as long as they’re all legal.

I'd run the Dunlop personally.

I've run mismatched/same axle tyres in the past on my previous car and current car.

Never had any problems.

If you get to the stage where you are reliant on matched tyres, then unless you are on the ragged edge constantly (on a public road?), you are doing something wrong.

I did it whilst transitioning from conti’s to Michelin PSS, ran PSS on the rears for a year until the fronts wore down and got a pair of PSS for the front

Dunlops are awful tyres, I found a constant lack of grip and under little throttle they would spin up. It takes a lot to get any heat in them. If you have the budget get some Michelin PS4S and never look back, brilliant tyres any time of year and long lasting. Just my pennies worth.

Dunlops are awful tyres, I found a constant lack of grip and under little throttle they would spin up. It takes a lot to get any heat in them. If you have the budget get some Michelin PS4S and never look back, brilliant tyres any time of year and long lasting. Just my pennies worth.

This is to save a few quid and use a tyre the OP already has.

Then a decent pair of tyres can be bought to replace in future! :D

Put the Dunlops on and run them off then get whatever you like.
There is no harm in running different brands as long as you have the same on each axle.
In an ideal world we would all fit the same brand of tyre on each corner.
In the real world we do the above as there are times when our choices are forced upon us.

This is to save a few quid and use a tyre the OP already has.

Then a decent pair of tyres can be bought to replace in future! :D

I personally think he would be wasting money on another Dunlop, they are a poor tyre. Sell the Dunlop (£100-150) and take the sting out of buying two Michelins, at least he would have decent quality grip and drivability. My opinion again of course.

I did also say if he had the budget :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom