Differential oil change and service plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matt1977

Car
W205 C63 S
Can anyone confirm the w205 c63 S differential oil change is included in the service plan?

Matt

So I called MB customer service after being given the run around by the dealership.

Apparently as its the S model it has an electronic unit which is sealed and does not need the oil changed. The non-S has a mechanical one and does need changing.

davidcarr1980 said:
Does the oil need changed on an upgraded quaife LSD?? If so how often?

Nope no need.

Conventional LSD's use wet clutch plates to partially lock the drive between the wheels. In use the friction material wears and the oil becomes contaminated and therefore needs changing. The Quaife diff uses a novel gear arrangement to achieve similar ends, and doesn't therefore suffer the friction material contamination of the oil.

I really can't see how anything like a diff, gearbox etc with metal against metal won't need fresh oil at some point. Not sure about Mercs but I know when I had bm's the dealers used to say gearbox and diff are lifetime. ******!!

Modern extreme pressure lubricants are incredibly long lived. When a car manufacturer says that (for example) the diff never needs an oil change they're basically saying that in the expected lifetime of the vehicle, there's no benefit to be gained from changing the lubricant. In other words it won't be the diff failing for want of an oil change that scraps the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom