Differential Oil E280 CDI (7 speed tip)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

handiandi

Car
E280 CDi Avantgarde (7G tip)
Hi

My 57 plate E280 CDI with 7 speed tiptronic box has got a slight whine from the rear of the vehicle and having searched on here is sounds like a good start to change the differential oil, especially as I can not tell whether it has ever been changed. Have booked the car into the garage but we are having difficulty working out which oil it should be. I think it needs to be TITAN SINTOPOID FE 75W-85 or equivalent to meet Mercedes-Benz spec MB-235.7. Is that correct please?

Thanks

Andrew

I've been thinking of changing my diff oil at 50,000 miles and TITAN SINTOPOID FE 75W-85 is the oil that I concluded meets the MB-235.7 spec.

I doubt the oil change will cure the whine though but good luck with it anyway. Any chance it could be a wheel bearing.

Last edited:
It could be a wheel bearing, could just be worn tyres, but it is only there when the throttle is on and goes away on the over run, plus seems to be from the centre of the rear of the vehicle. I read on a couple of posts on here that the diff oil can break down and then the teeth being in contact give the whine. Hence given I can not find evidence it was changed, for the same of a few pounds I would rather get it changed and then at least I know it has been done. Just want to make sure I get it right and not do more damage than good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom