Difficult to remove key from ignition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
W204 c250 facelift saloon petrol

The key would disengage easily out of the ignition when switching the engine off.

It has now become difficult to remove the key, I'm literally having to force to pull the key out of the ignition!

I thought it maybe the key, so tried the 2nd key, same issue!

Is my ignition lock on the way out?, Not sure if it would help but mindful its electronics, was thinking of applying some grease

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Any trouble with gear selection,about the only reason I can think off for a key not coming out of ignition is the car does not know it is park

I wouldn't use anything oil based such as grease but you could try spraying some silicone lubricant spray into the mechanism, it freed off the ignition barrel on my CLS when it wouldn't spring back after turning the key to start.

Car is definitely in parking mode and states on the dash that it is.

I've pushed the gear lever forward whilst releasing the key no difference

If i pull out the key upwards it releases a little easier

Don't force it.
You need to get your fault codes read to see what's going on. It's not mechanical like your old Mondeo.

Ash , be very careful what you do here. Ignition barrels and keys can be ruinously expensive to replace. I do not know the answer , but forcing the key out is probably not going to end well.

Hopefully someone on here will have the answer.

I'll get it plugged into the diagnostics and report back

Would a low battery cause this fault?

Went for a long drive, parked up and the key came out the ignition without any difficulty! Seems to be ok now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom