Diffuser/bumper trim fixing bolt/rivet/screw?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spitfire

Car
C350 Coupe AMG Sport, V6 Petrol
Planning to remove the standard black plastic rear under-bumper trim to modify it and take a mould from the modified item in order to create my own carbon fibre 'diffuser' from it. Bought a brand new plastic trim a while back (£54 + VAT from my main dealer, surprisingly reasonable, to be perfectly honest) which will be fitted to the car while the used item is removed and modified.

There are numerous moulded-on attachment points and fixings on the black plastic trim,however there are a couple of fixing points on the extreme left/right of it which need removing before it can be detached from the car. Not entirely sure if they are large rivets (?) type of bolt head (?) or screw of some kind(?).

Before I get carried away and either drill the heads off these things (they 'could' be alloy?) or grind them off, does anybody know if they are intended to be removed/refitted or a permanent kind of fixture? Are the three tiny slots in them there for a reason, as an aid for removal? Space for feeling behind them is so tight it is difficult to figure out.

It's a bit awkward to figure out if they are a permanent fixture or removable, while laying on your back, upside-down, faffing about and feeling around on a chilly November weekend.

A couple of pics below of the offending bolt/rivet/screw head, or whatever it could be. Just trying to figure out how to remove the plastic trim with the least amount of fuss and aggro ...... :dk:

Thanks for any help.

They will be one of the many types of PITA security screws so you should be able to find a screw driver bit to fit them. Perhaps MB thought someone would want to nick your trim or perhaps they were just being bloody minded - who knows.

They will be one of the many types of PITA security screws .

Okey doke, thanks for that, I will try and undo them with an old modified screwdriver or something, see if that works.

Cheers!

Just out of interest, does anybody know the actual 'official' (for the want of a better phrase ....) name of this type of fitting? Is there one?

Im pretty sure they are peel rivets.

You would need to drill them out and replace with new ones.

It's a blind rivet part no A0039909497

No 50 0n the attached

Attachments

• Rear Bumper.compressed.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 29
Ah, ok, thanks for that folks. Looks like it could be out with the drill or Dremel to take the heads off then.

Thanks again.

I have just experienced this issuse on my C63 coupe. We are also removing the diffuser to mould and make in carbon.

Let me know how you get on and how you removed said 'Rivets'. Its a tight gap to get into with a drill.
Also are you going to replace with new rivets or use a small nut and bolt?

Last edited:
I have just experienced this issuse on my C63 coupe. We are also removing the diffuser to mould and make in carbon.

Let me know how you get on and how you removed said 'Rivets'. Its a tight gap to get into with a drill.
Also are you going to replace with new rivets or use a small nut and bolt?

Was able to remove them last week, they are a bit of a bugger to get at, having several arms like an octopus would of helped enormously! They are definately alloy-headed rivets and managed to drill the heads off with a 6mm drill bit, the plastic trim needs bending down a bit while drilling them to gain a bit of clearance, if you can find some help to do it would make life alot easier. Just about managed it on my own with plenty of swearing for good measure. It would help an awful lot if somebody can hold the backs of the rivets from turning with a pair of grips or pliers while the heads are drilled off because there is not much to stop them turning while being drilled.

I would assume the fixtures would be similar to the C63, mine also had two chunky black plastic brackets which connect the middle section of the 'diffuser' to the chassis which are simply unbolted, no problem there. When they are removed the standard plastic trim can simply be prised off because it just clips in place around it's circumference.

While the old, used trim is off the car and being modified/moulded in order to make the carbon replacement, I have temporarily fitted the spare new one in place (I used some M5 nuts and bolts with large washers , in place of the rivets. The new carbon one will have rivets again though).

:thumb:

Great, I'll have another attempt at it then. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom