Digital Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibrar

Car
55 plate LWB Sprinter and soon to be C220 AMG Sport Plus
Hey guys,

Need some advice as I know there are some keen photographers on here. Can anyone recommend a good digital camera, price limit is £300, also what should I be looking out for when I browse/purchase one. I've been keen on a few Sony's, only because it will be easily compatible with my Sony laptop.

P.S. I dont want an SLR (not the automobile type :) )

Thanks

Ibrar :)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18

I asked two professional photographers the same question, people with upwards of 10 cameras, they both came back with the same answer...the one above.

This camera does everything you could possibly want as a non professional, and a lot of professional thing to boot.

My father can use it, so it must be user friendly!

Get them on eBay, make sure it's new and not a factory refurb (read the small print)

Budget will be just under £200

If you're after a compact camera, I can thoroughly recommend the Canon Ixus range.

I have an 850IS, a couple of years old (now discontinued) it takes excellent photos and will slip into your pocket.

You don't have to buy a Sony camera to work with your laptop - any digital camera will work the same way..

Cheers,

Gaz

Panasonic DMC-FZ18

I asked two professional photographers the same question, people with upwards of 10 cameras, they both came back with the same answer...the one above.

I'm with you on this one. The Panasonic range have more flexibility than others, only down side is that in point-shoot-auto mode they're beaten by the mainstream for producing sharp and vibrant pics - there's less in-camera processing (so more scope for post-processing) which translates to softer images unless you edit them a bit afterwards.

We have a little 8 mp olympus and a Panasonic LX1, the LX1 is superior in every technical way but in the hands of the kids the Oly produces better pictures.

Thanks for the help. I shall keep an eye out for both the Panasonic and the Olympus. Are there any decent compact Sony cameras?

is the Panasonic one ok for close up shots? or do you need to change the lense?

is the Panasonic one ok for close up shots? or do you need to change the lense?

It's not an SLR, although it has the appearance of one.

Yes it's fine for close ups it has a macro facility.

Unless you're a serious professional, this is one of the best all rounders I've found. Even the two pro's I know have them for snap shots.

So to find a decent SLR , its a few quid more!!
I have been looking at reviews etc and this one seems to have a good write up. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-REBEL-XTi-EOS-400D-CAMERA-LENS-4GB-6-BONUS-BLK_W0QQitemZ120289807344QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120289807344&_trkparms=72%3A982%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318
But reading into the ad, the camera is refurbished and only has a 90 day warranty. If there are so many refurbished ones, does that mean they are maybe not so reliable? Has anyone got one of these?
Cheers.

Both of my Cameras are Canon Refurbs, however they were bought direct from Canon UK with a 12 month warranty.
Refurbs may have minor blemishes and my 30D had a very small scratch, my 5D was absolutely mint with no signs of any use at all. Both have been amazing cameras though :)

You really need to decide if you intend to spend any more on your photography though before buying into an SLR system - as the urge to buy lenses comes quickly and you then learn that cheap lenses are in general not very nice. This leads to a lens "habit" that your significant other may not appreciate :D

SLR's - great image quality but the kit lenses will disappoint when compared to the focal lengths available in the cheaper cameras.
It is much easier to make 10x & 12x zooms for the smaller sensors that simply require a lot less glass. Any of the cameras listed below will deliver wider angle shots and much greater zoom capacity then the 400D. The 400D will always be able to produce the technically superior photo and the big point is that you CAN add lenses as you wish or can afford

DMC FZ18 great camera if slightly bulky
Panasonic LX2 - my choice for a point and shoot for my wife and evenings out where I dont want a bulky SLR
Canon G9 - I would have bought this one it if it had been available when I bought the LX2 :)

Panasonic DMC-FZ18

This camera does everything you could possibly want as a non professional, and a lot of professional thing to boot.

My father can use it, so it must be user friendly!

Get them on eBay, make sure it's new and not a factory refurb (read the small print)

Budget will be just under £200

Thanks. Everybody (who knows anything about cameras) seems to be recommending this one. It has fantastic reviews as well.
So I just bought one from ukdigitalcameras.co.uk. Comes with a 2 year warranty too. :D

.........and I went out and bought a Canon G9. WOW!! what a nice machine, was intending to get the SLR 450d but really, this G9 does way beyond what I need and on some things better than the SLR.

So, thanks for the advice aswell!!

Great result.

.........and I went out and bought a Canon G9. WOW!! what a nice machine, was intending to get the SLR 450d but really, this G9 does way beyond what I need and on some things better than the SLR.

Learn to shoot in RAW with a G9 as soon as possible

RAW is the native sensor format and is considered a digital negative. Once you convert to Jpeg you will lose a lot fo that information Consequently YOU choose what is saved and what is discarded. This gives a much greater lattitude for exposure compensation

You can shoot Raw + Jpeg but that eats storage space. I havent shot Jpeg in more than a year now as RAW allows me to save shots that would otherwise have been lost/discarded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom