Digital Clima Unit retrofitted in CLK W209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W209_nikal

Hello

This is my first post in the forum which I read for a while now in order to find may usefull info about retrofitting various parts into my Mercedes.

Recently I bought a Digital Clima Unit (the one with the LCD display) for my 07/2003 W209 car. I tried to install it today but the unit never worked. Originally my car is comming with a non-LCD control unit for the clima. I knew that the digital module offered some additional functions that couldn't be added to my CLK but I was hopping that I could have the standard operations and in addition the LCD display.

Do you think that the device is defected or that my car isn't compatible with this unit ?

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It is impossible to tell without a diagnostic unit.

From what i believe when trying these it's a bit of luck. I think there are 2 or 3 different model numbers.

Someone may prove me wrong!

Wully said:
From what i believe when trying these it's a bit of luck. I think there are 2 or 3 different model numbers.

It may also refuse to work because the settings in the control unit do not match the positions of the heater flaps.

Without synchronisation there is no clear answer.

Wully said:

There are indeed a number of different versions, see my previous post on this from research I carried out at the time:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16038

I've done this on my W203 as has another forum member ckember (on a W209). If you get the unit to work you also should perform a reset on the unit, can't remember the key sequence but it's supposed to remove the fault codes that may be present from the previous car.

I'm no expert on this stuff, all I can say is I've done this on my W203, other than the digital display you won't gain anything. Miro knows much more about this stuff.

Good luck...

Hello to all of you and thank you for your replies.

The unit has the following P/N

A209 830 02 85

I have red all the posts regarding this unit and the available P/N that may or not fit into W209 model. But in that case I have a module specificaly designed for my car.

Looking around I found a tip in order to reset the motor flaps and maybe the unit its self by pressing both the "Defrost" and "Air circulation" buttons for some time. I didn't test it yet but I am going to do it soon.

So I will keep you posted for any progress.

TIA

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

By the way when you say the unit doesn't work, does the LCD display light up and display anything? does the switch illumination work? Does the rear heated screen still work?

Other more detailed information may help others to help you.

It has no signs of life..... No LCD no Lights no nothing. The Guy who sold me this unit insisted that the unit was checked by Mercedes and worked fine.

we will see...

Last edited:
Finally I was very impatient to wait for the daylight so I did it now.

And guess what.... A big nothing !!!

The original module (the analogue one) has reseted the flaps (pressing Air Circulation and Defrost together) but the digital one did nothing. And again no any sign of life. I tried many things but I didn't make to have it working.

I am wondering if the car needs a reprogramming in the dealer so that it can recognise the new module. I will speak to my dealer during the next days.

To be honest if you're not getting any activity or life (no display, no illimuntation) from the unit it sounds like it really is faulty.

Sorry but it doesn't sound positive from the description so far...

W209_nikal said:
Finally I was very impatient to wait for the daylight so I did it now.

And guess what.... A big nothing !!!

The original module (the analogue one) has reseted the flaps (pressing Air Circulation and Defrost together) but the digital one did nothing. And again no any sign of life. I tried many things but I didn't make to have it working.

I am wondering if the car needs a reprogramming in the dealer so that it can recognise the new module. I will speak to my dealer during the next days.

eBay is becoming a place to distribute garbage.

Is the "pressing Air Circulation and Defrost together" the correct method of resetting? I remember reading it on here somewhere but i can't seem to find it again.

R2D2 said:
nikal can you post a photo of the unit?

Unfortunately I left the device to my dealer today in order to check it(I told them to fit it in a car originally equiped with Thermotronic just to be sure that it's not a reprogramming issue). So, if the device won't work then I will be sure that it is completely defected. But then, I should have to do something with the fraud who sold me this scrap....And here I need your advices!

Wully said:
Is the "pressing Air Circulation and Defrost together" the correct method of resetting? I remember reading it on here somewhere but i can't seem to find it again.
having the thermatic module orignally installed in my car, I tried the combination of those two button and it did something for sure cause after 3 or 4 sec the leds on those buttons started to blink one after the other and I was hearing a sound from the flaps motors.

Other combinations did nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom