Digital Oil Level Reading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cons2348

Car
C class 280 cdi sport 2006 facelift
Hi Guys, very new newbie here.
I never in considered a Mb, but now the very proud owner of a E280 cdi Sport Estate 2006 face-lift. I am totally besotted and wonder why I have waited 40 odd years.
Any way just hoping for a little help.
I think I have, well hope I have the 3.0 Ltr bomb proof V6
Coupled with the very highly praised 5G auto transmission. Have trawled every site and forum and it has been a massive learning curve, but I think I have goodun.
There appears to be limited information about my specific model and it is very difficult to see what information crosses over from other models.
In any event I was hoping for a help with the following questions :
1. On trying to find the oil level electronic read out, I follow all the instructions however on the screen which should say oil level and then you wait for it populate.
I have a blank line it does not say oil level. I don't think I am doing anything wrong and just wondering if my model actually has this facility.
2. Drivers seat first bottom panel bolster worn two 10" bad cracks.
This must be a common problem. Have been quoted £400 if I leave the car or £50 if I take the leather off myself. I simply do not have the required skill level. Is there a patch, sticking solution that works, primarily to make it look better and to stop further deterioration. Think this is a case of wishful thinking.
Well that's the extent of my problems so far.
On a final note the manual and command centre book in a nice leather wallet, which came with the vehicle relates to a 2004 E Class 3.2 Avant-garde Saloon.
Would be lovely if some wanted a swop for the correct manual.
Many thanks Steve.

Are you sure its a 5 speed?

The oil level reader can be a pain on the 211's. You may find that the coding is incorrect on the cluster especially if its been changed at some point. Stick to the manual way of checking the oil. Its more reliable for starters.

With the temp displayed push the arrow button on the steering wheel down once with the ignition on. Engine must be HOT and on the car must be completely flat. The level will then be checked and reported if its ok.

The biggest thing in this is that the engine oil must be up to operating temperature. A 20 minute drive will do it.

Are you sure its a 5 speed?

The oil level reader can be a pain on the 211's. You may find that the coding is incorrect on the cluster especially if its been changed at some point. Stick to the manual way of checking the oil. Its more reliable for starters.

With the temp displayed push the arrow button on the steering wheel down once with the ignition on. Engine must be HOT and on the car must be completely flat. The level will then be checked and reported if its ok.

The biggest thing in this is that the engine oil must be up to operating temperature. A 20 minute drive will do it.
Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.
Sounds daft but no I am not sure about the five speed box. Nothing visible, nothing on decoding vin.
But I can only count five changes. Think I will have to look a bit harder.

If it's any comfort, I fully de-upholstered both front seats in my Vauxhall insignia at Christmas last year to allow my to fit new heated seat pads. Took a full day per seat, but nothing hugely complicated. I can't speak for the W211, but process was:
- disconnect battery for a good while
- remove a million bits of trim and tiny hidden screws of a variety of screwdriver fittings from around all the plastic seat trim base, seat belt etc (a plastic trim removal tool set for under £10 comes in very handy here)
- disconnect all electrical connectors
- undo the seat rail bolts (I just took the seats out attached to the rail system)
- pull a load of 'leather' seat upholstery out from push clips that run the entire length of the back of the seat backrest
- remove the headrest
- cut off all of the metal hog rings between the underside of the leather and the seat cushions to detach the seat covers

I watched a SnapOn heated seat pad replacement video on some large Hyundai SUV from the USA to get a feel for the process. It was broadly the same for the Insignia, and I expect a lot of modern (post 90s?) cars are trimmed in very similar ways for the seats. I just guess filming and access on a massive SUV makes it easier.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you are counting 5 changes on your gearbox then you do Not have a 5 speed gearbox, do you, if a 5 speed gearbox it would only be 4 changes! Would suggest that you have a 7 speed gearbox. Likely the gearbox may well be starting off in 2nd or possibly you do not notice the more subtle change from 6th to 7th, the engine speed drop is less than the other gear changes.

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.
Sounds daft but no I am not sure about the five speed box. Nothing visible, nothing on decoding vin.
But I can only count five changes. Think I will have to look a bit harder.
Hi tried what you suggested. Lol nope nothing happened. Think I should just stick to the dip stick.
I was told it was a 5 speed auto box. There is nothing I can see in the vehicle. V5 or vin decoder. Today played in manual with paddles, not a fan but probs a new driving style I have never used before. Yes 5 gears defo.
I thought this was a good thing, I wondered why you doubted. Some other person made a derisory comment suggesting it had 6.

I'm not doubting your gear counting, and I have no idea which gear boxes are in which models. But, I think if you put your VIN into www.lastvin.com

in the result at the top, it should like a car number, or engine number, and May be a gear box number? If it has a box number, can you share it please?

I'm not doubting your gear counting, and I have no idea which gear boxes are in which models. But, I think if you put your VIN into www.lastvin.com

in the result at the top, it should like a car number, or engine number, and May be a gear box number? If it has a box number, can you share it please?
Hi Mr greedy, happy someone out there taking an interest.
Well now I am very perturbed.
Did the vin decoder gave a bit more info than another one I tried. Gave the transmission part number. A search on that not specifically led to 7G transmissions.
A further search states 7G not fitted untill W212 in 2009.
And I can only feel 5G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-205558.png
    Screenshot_20200924-205558.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 6
There we are! 722.902 gearbox!

what ever that is.
BlackC55 might be following and can advise if that sounds right

There we are! 722.902 gearbox!

what ever that is.
BlackC55 might be following and can advise if that sounds right
Lol stop worrying confusing me even more. That is the link that says not fitted till W212.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-205558.png
    Screenshot_20200924-205558.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200924-204917.png
    Screenshot_20200924-204917.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 2
Sorry my phone skills as good as car mechanics crap.
In addition to last picture goes on to say 5g box best ever transmission and when finding that soo happy. Having said that mate has a 2014 3.2 avangarde e class, less tax, faster and better mpg. Have had jags in past before x crucified me. But can not fit fishing gear in jag and 16 mpg is so silly. I love this eclass 3 grand banger rolls Royce. Used to think jags complicated, Mb puts complicated five levels higher.

Sorry my phone skills as good as car mechanics crap.
In addition to last picture goes on to say 5g box best ever transmission and when finding that soo happy. Having said that mate has a 2014 3.2 avangarde e class, less tax, faster and better mpg. Have had jags in past before x crucified me. But can not fit fishing gear in jag and 16 mpg is so silly. I love this eclass 3 grand banger rolls Royce. Used to think jags complicated, Mb puts complicated five levels higher.
That should read 2004.

Just had a read of that wiki on the 7G Tronic.

My reading is that for the 6 and 8 cylinder engines, they moved over to the 7G early (mid 2000s), but for 4 cylinder/across the range, that was much later. So when it says 2009 for the w212, it means across the range for the w212 it was 7G, which is from inception as it was released in 2009.

You have a w211 if you have a 2006 E class.
From the wiki, I would expect you to have a 7G. Odd you can only detect 5 shifts. Or course, odd build spec or previous replacement can't be ruled out

You have the 7G that is certain unless it has been changed.

Remember unless you are in Sport it will pull away in 2nd. ;)
The 7G can also quite easily "skip" a gear when changing depending on the circumstances.

You have the 7G that is certain unless it has been changed.

Remember unless you are in Sport it will pull away in 2nd. ;)
The 7G can also quite easily "skip" a gear when changing depending on the circumstances.
Thanks for that. Stuff there that the inexperienced would not know.

Advice says I have 7G
Vin plate decoder certainly points to 7G
I have just been out and played in sport mode and can still only note 5G.
Have also just driven a friends A class with 7G and it is very easy to note 7G.
Maybe I have 7G but two of them don't work lol.
In any event the car drives like a total dream. Thanks for all the interest. Surprising how something so simple you would think turns out to be far from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom