Digital speedo wrong.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by nomiS36, Jun 4, 2016.

1. nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250
    It seems to thing the analogue speed is kph. Only noticed it today so I got my son to take a snap to show you. Why is it doing this?
    [​IMG]

2. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Are you sure that the 38mph on the digital readout is not just the average speed? Have you checked with the cars manual?

If the analogue dial is in kmh then your amg will be off the dial at 125 mph..

3. jotter22

jotter22 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
    And get that "C" off the display and replace it with "S"....:D

Tony.

4. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250
    It's not the average speed because it goes up and down immediately then when I stop it shows 0mph. As indicated in my pic, 38kph is nearly 60mph. When the analogue shows 100 (on my private race track) the digital is showing 62.

5. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250

Done that and even had it showing M!!!!
    I had the fuel gauge down to 1 bar when that pic was taken so thought I'd better take it easy.

6. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY18 GLC63s
    100 -> 62.5 is the kmh to mph conversion. Are you actually doing 38mph or about 60 in the pic ?

Have you had a new cluster at some point ? Sounds like it needs re-coding - but not sure why it would go wrong.

Richard

7. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250

I was doing 60. I've only had the car a few weeks so I'm not sure if it's had another cluster. BMW's I know have a tamper dot that appears on the display if they're messed with, do merc's?
    Anyway, it doesn't really matter, just curious really.

8. Macgd016

Macgd016 New Member

Car:
    SL350
    I think your first thoughts are quite correct the digital readout is showing the MPH equivalent of a KPH analogue figure. My SL shows MPH on the analogue speedo and KPH on the digital which I find very irritating I would much rather it showed MPH on both. A trip to the dealers is need I fear!

9. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250
    It's like the digi dial thinks I'm doing 40mph so tells the analogue dial to show 60kph which I wasn't, I was definitely doing 60mph. The digi should really have been showing close to 100 as the analogue dial doesn't show kph as well as mph which every uk car I've ever driven does.
    Mind you, the way this thing accelerates I sometimes wonder if the speedo is actually in kph!

It is a minor niggle tbh and certainly not something I would like to be financially bummed by the dealer to correct

10. roger574

roger574 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E55 AMG
    Isn't 38mph just over 61kph? If so, it looks like the analogue is reading under, assuming digital is more accurate?

I have to admit I thought speedometers were allowed a small margin of error but only to over-estimate the actual speed, not to underestimate it, presumably because otherwise you could be caught speeding when you thought you were driving at or below the limit?

11. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250
    The analogue is correct. In the picture it shows I was doing 60MPH which is what I was doing. The dispute is why the digi display is showing 38MPH.

12. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    I didn't think you could change what the analogue units where, only the digital - unless there is something in the engineering menu. Do you have an option to change the digital units in your normal menus?

13. OP
    OP
    nomiS36

nomiS36 Member

Car:
    Focus st250
    There is nothing wrong with the analogue speedo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. seymansey

seymansey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
    As mentioned above, 60kmh is 38mph. I've had this issue myself after the dealer coded my cluster for star but messed up the region coding. Easily fixed, but does need a star.