Digital speedo wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nomiS36

Car
Focus st250
It seems to thing the analogue speed is kph. Only noticed it today so I got my son to take a snap to show you. Why is it doing this?
bc4cc8c16ddc904a507628405247309e.jpg

Are you sure that the 38mph on the digital readout is not just the average speed? Have you checked with the cars manual?

If the analogue dial is in kmh then your amg will be off the dial at 125 mph..

It's not the average speed because it goes up and down immediately then when I stop it shows 0mph. As indicated in my pic, 38kph is nearly 60mph. When the analogue shows 100 (on my private race track) the digital is showing 62.

And get that "C" off the display and replace it with "S"....:D

Tony.

Done that and even had it showing M!!!! [emoji1]
I had the fuel gauge down to 1 bar when that pic was taken so thought I'd better take it easy. [emoji6]

100 -> 62.5 is the kmh to mph conversion. Are you actually doing 38mph or about 60 in the pic ?

Have you had a new cluster at some point ? Sounds like it needs re-coding - but not sure why it would go wrong.

Richard

100 -> 62.5 is the kmh to mph conversion. Are you actually doing 38mph or about 60 in the pic ?

Have you had a new cluster at some point ? Sounds like it needs re-coding - but not sure why it would go wrong.

Richard

I was doing 60. I've only had the car a few weeks so I'm not sure if it's had another cluster. BMW's I know have a tamper dot that appears on the display if they're messed with, do merc's?
Anyway, it doesn't really matter, just curious really.

I think your first thoughts are quite correct the digital readout is showing the MPH equivalent of a KPH analogue figure. My SL shows MPH on the analogue speedo and KPH on the digital which I find very irritating I would much rather it showed MPH on both. A trip to the dealers is need I fear!

It's like the digi dial thinks I'm doing 40mph so tells the analogue dial to show 60kph which I wasn't, I was definitely doing 60mph. The digi should really have been showing close to 100 as the analogue dial doesn't show kph as well as mph which every uk car I've ever driven does.
Mind you, the way this thing accelerates I sometimes wonder if the speedo is actually in kph! [emoji48]

It is a minor niggle tbh and certainly not something I would like to be financially bummed by the dealer to correct [emoji57]

Isn't 38mph just over 61kph? If so, it looks like the analogue is reading under, assuming digital is more accurate?

I have to admit I thought speedometers were allowed a small margin of error but only to over-estimate the actual speed, not to underestimate it, presumably because otherwise you could be caught speeding when you thought you were driving at or below the limit?

The analogue is correct. In the picture it shows I was doing 60MPH which is what I was doing. The dispute is why the digi display is showing 38MPH.

I didn't think you could change what the analogue units where, only the digital - unless there is something in the engineering menu. Do you have an option to change the digital units in your normal menus?

There is nothing wrong with the analogue speedo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, 60kmh is 38mph. I've had this issue myself after the dealer coded my cluster for star but messed up the region coding. Easily fixed, but does need a star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom