Dip Stick Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacCLS500

Car
CLS500
2005 CLS500 has anybody fitted a dip stick, is it possible or do you just rely on computer dashboard readout for oil.

Have I asked a stupid question as nobody has returned a comment. It was a genuine request for info.

MERCEDES use what they call a "service tool" = a dipstick to measure oil level. Or you can sometimes order them thro a friendly MB dealer or get a cheaper copy through a motor factor [ Sealey make one] or on EBAY.

Sorry, change of plan, heavy snow.

One of these will do the trick:

EBay item no: 121300016481

It's a copy of the OE tool (as, indeed, are the Sealey and others). They ship pretty quickly; I ordered mine on 27 July, and it was here a week later. They had marked it as a commercial sample for Customs purposes, and there was no duty or VAT to pay.

I'm not convinced, though, that the range of measurements (between, presumably, maximum and minimum) given in the instructions is right for the 113 engine. Theirs only spans about 18mm, while the MB measurements for the OE tool span 31mm. I'm off to MSL on Monday for a gearbox service and dyno run, though, and while I'm there, will get them to top it up to the full mark using the OE tool, and that will give me a datum to use.

One of these will do the trick:

EBay item no: 121300016481

It's a copy of the OE tool (as, indeed, are the Sealey and others). They ship pretty quickly; I ordered mine on 27 July, and it was here a week later. They had marked it as a commercial sample for Customs purposes, and there was no duty or VAT to pay.

I'm not convinced, though, that the range of measurements (between, presumably, maximum and minimum) given in the instructions is right for the 113 engine. Theirs only spans about 18mm, while the MB measurements for the OE tool span 31mm. I'm off to MSL on Monday for a gearbox service and dyno run, though, and while I'm there, will get them to top it up to the full mark using the OE tool, and that will give me a datum to use.

Thanks - I'd seen the Sealey one on Ebay.

Should have said my CL is the 600 5513 cc model - is there only the one-sized tool? Seemed to be a one size fits all on Ebay.

Cheers,

Stuart

Almost certainly the universal tool, but no doubt they all come with instructions for the various engines. Tell me your car and engine designations, and I'll check to see what instructions I have - I have both the OE and the aftermarket measuring data.

Last edited:
Almost certainly the universal tool, but no doubt they all come with instructions for the various engines. Tell me your car and engine designations, and I'll check to see what instructions I have - I have both the OE and the aftermarket measuring data.

Thanks - car is a 2003 CL600 Biturbo, engine no. 27595040000326.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom