dip stick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoros

Car
SL55 AMG
Enough is enough.
Simple request - I have an sl55 and the dip stick is 4" long with a sensor on the end (I think?).
I simply want to buy a NORMAL dip stick which actually checks the damn oil level please?:dk:

Any advice? Suggestions?

The oil level sensor is in the sump. I suspect you are removing the gearbox oil dipstick tube.

The engine oil disptick tube with have a white or grey cap on it normally and is on the right hand side.

At just 4" long I'd say that's the PS/ABC dip stick?

I'm sure you can check the oil level on the dash??

Yes you can it's easy. No dipstick ime afraid, think you can get a special one that the dealers use for around a 100 quid. Could be wrong on that cost though.

Ok, I may be a 'dip stick' but I know where the engine oil dipstick is in the car for starters! It is orange and about 4" long. It's got a knob on the end (giggle). The knob does nothing - it just stares at you!
So here's the situation. You look at the readout on the dash and it says: oil level normal. Whatever that means! "X" miles further down the year you get a red caption on the dashboard saying low oil - fill up. Stop car until oil level correct???? What good is the warning then when you are driving down the motorway at night???
Next scenario: You top the oil up because of the above (eventually) but you don't know how much to put in???? Final scenario: You inadvertently put too much oil in - caption says: overfilled - remove some oil??? How on God's earth do you do that in a forecourt half way to Somerset, at night in the rain????
The bottom line is that IF IF IF the damn car had a damn dipstick (other than the driver) he/she could check the oil frequently and keep it EXACTLY at the correct level. As one always did with everyother car on the planet - and not get into this stupid mess one finds oneself in now.
Talk about nanny state: no spare wheel, no dipstick, self parking, distronic FFS!

Now - where can I buy a bog standard 170mm calibrated metal dipstick for an SL55 please? OTHER than the rip off merchants called MB main dealers.
Z

Now - where can I buy a bog standard 170mm calibrated metal dipstick for an SL55 please? OTHER than the rip off merchants called MB main dealers.
Z

Try EBay US, usually some for sale, mine was approx £18 a few years ago.

Russ

Ok, I may be a 'dip stick' but I know where the engine oil dipstick is in the car for starters! It is orange and about 4" long. It's got a knob on the end (giggle). The knob does nothing - it just stares at you!
So here's the situation. You look at the readout on the dash and it says: oil level normal. Whatever that means! "X" miles further down the year you get a red caption on the dashboard saying low oil - fill up. Stop car until oil level correct???? What good is the warning then when you are driving down the motorway at night???
Next scenario: You top the oil up because of the above (eventually) but you don't know how much to put in???? Final scenario: You inadvertently put too much oil in - caption says: overfilled - remove some oil??? How on God's earth do you do that in a forecourt half way to Somerset, at night in the rain????
The bottom line is that IF IF IF the damn car had a damn dipstick (other than the driver) he/she could check the oil frequently and keep it EXACTLY at the correct level. As one always did with everyother car on the planet - and not get into this stupid mess one finds oneself in now.
Talk about nanny state: no spare wheel, no dipstick, self parking, distronic FFS!

Z

You could buy an Austin Mini 1000 if you prefer simplicity.

I think?????....if you do nothing and just wait for the car to ask for oil it will tell you how much it wants.......not certain about this because in 106k miles my car has only ever asked for oil on two occasions (0.5 litres from memory) which could easily be a function of how much oil was put in at the last service.

I have learned to relax and just drive.

Mic

What year SL55? Sealey do a dipstick but it is the same as the workshop tool in that it is graduated for multiple engines and it is removed from the engine once the reading is obtained.

Sealey

Probably too early for your car.

My 203 never required oil between services, the AMG on the other hand has, twice after approx 9k miles from the last service. Each time the dash chimed a message to add 1ltr of oil at the next service stop. I add 1/2ltr and check, via the dash, if OK. Each time fine.

One gets plenty of warning to top up if required.

One gets plenty of warning to top up if required.

I'd take anything it says with a pinch of salt. As an experiment during an oil change, I found that after syphoning all the oil out of the sump, it still said I had 2.4 litres in the engine. When adding oil, it went up to 6.4 litres, my engine takes 6.8l, but no matter how much more I added, it never went above 6.4l.

Along with the spurious "oil level too high" messages you get from time to time, I just ignore the electronic dipstick and use a real one instead, it cannot lie.

Russ

rf065 - exactly.
MicB - try relaxing at speed in the outside lane in the rain at night when the caption says:

ding dong: "please be advised kind sir - your extremely expensive engine block is being starved of lubricant and if you don't pull over NOW, I'll do it for you - sucker".
All because the driver didn't do a 2 second check of the oil level before embarking on the long journey - it's called due diligence, which came naturally before the nanny state arrived.
I'll follow up the links - thanks guys.............................

I have one of the multiple-engine ones, bought from the USA last year when I got the 55K. Used once (basically, to check the accuracy of the electronic check), comes with instructions. Yours for £15 including p&p; PM me if you want it.

E55BOF. I'll have that thank you very much. PM sent let me know if it arrives.

E55BOF delivered.
Dip stick used and working beautifully thanks to some advice from him too.
Much happier bunny now I can check properly - the correct amount of oil in my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom