Dipped beams - intermittent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingpin!

Car
R350 (W251) & R350 (V251)
Hi, forum!

Went to the carwash some days ago, upon exiting I got the message "Dipped beam, left". Checked the cables/connectors around the beam but couldn't see anything special and turning off and on the ignition a couple of times didn't have any effect either. The next day the message didn't appear and all was fine (thought that it was a bad connection after all).

Today on the afternoon the message came up again but this time it was the right beam instead (left was ok now).

If it was the left one again I would have suspected the bulb/beam but now I wonder if there can be another joint connector somewhere? Or the control unit for the beams?

Car is an R-Class W251 R350 (2006) so I guess it's the for ML & GL as well.

Thankful for any ideas.

Chassis earth connections?

I can't see anything loose.

It also seems like it has stabilized a bit, the right beam is permanently out the last days.

How does ballasts work, are they interconnected in some way that it makes sense that the left side was out a few times before shifting to the right (because perhaps the right side is the real problem)?

Also, I assume that lethal voltages are only present when the ignition is on (no capacitors holding charge)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom