Dipping Mirrors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzowner

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6Diesel
Well only one:confused: If I have the nearside mirror selected on the adjustment switch inside the car and put the car in reverse, the mirror dips to show the ground somewhere near the rear wheel. When the switch is on the off side, nothing happens. What is going on? I've only had the car 6 years and just discovered this.

Geoff2 said:
Well only one:confused: If I have the nearside mirror selected on the adjustment switch inside the car and put the car in reverse, the mirror dips to show the ground somewhere near the rear wheel. When the switch is on the off side, nothing happens. What is going on? I've only had the car 6 years and just discovered this.

That is correct, its to allow you to easily select (turn off) the dipping function that allows you to see the kerb when reverse parking.
Sometimes you briefly want to flick the mirror back up again - so you select the switch the other way and it moves up again.

You can re-set the position it dips to (if its not quite going down far enough) - how to do that is in the manual (sorry, I forgot how to do that!)

Cheers

Richard

Geoff2 said:

Just another coded feature. PArking assist.

Check your cluster preferences to see if it is indeed on.

richard said:
That is correct, its to allow you to easily select (turn off) the dipping function that allows you to see the kerb when reverse parking.
Sometimes you briefly want to flick the mirror back up again - so you select the switch the other way and it moves up again.

You can re-set the position it dips to (if its not quite going down far enough) - how to do that is in the manual (sorry, I forgot how to do that!)

Cheers

Richard

I had exactly the same issue recently and even sent my car back to the dealer to complain the dipping nearside mirror wasnt working when in reverse only to be told that its only supposed to work when that mirror is selected on the mirror adjustment switch:eek:

What Richard has said is 100% correct.

Thanks guys, a pita imo, is it supposed to reset when you put the car into drive? mine doesn't

Geoff2 said:
Thanks guys, a pita imo, is it supposed to reset when you put the car into drive? mine doesn't

No, it resets when you reach a speed of a few miles per hour - I guess thats to stop it moving up and down as you move in and out of the parking space trying to get the car in ..

Richard

richard said:
T

Any idea how to do this?? Im curious, and its not in my manual!! Thanks!

frog1520 said:
Any idea how to do this?? Im curious, and its not in my manual!! Thanks!

I think you select reverse with left mirror selected, and wind the mirror fully down keeping the switch held down for 20 seconds.

(i.e same sort of thing as setting the auto-up limits on the mirror)

For this to work you need memory mirrors (otherwise it can't put the mirror back again to the same position !)

Richard

richard said:
I think you select reverse with left mirror selected, and wind the mirror fully down keeping the switch held down for 20 seconds.

(i.e same sort of thing as setting the auto-up limits on the mirror)

For this to work you need memory mirrors (otherwise it can't put the mirror back again to the same position !)

Richard

Believe it or not that timing delay is entirely controlled by the instrument cluster. I tried it with 3 clusters and the behaviour was different.

I just check in my manual and to set the parking position you adjust the mirror to the required position then press the M button and then one of the adjustment direction buttons within 3 seconds. The mirror should not move if the programming was accepted.
The mirror moves back up 10 seconds after reverse is disengaged or when the speed goes above 10 Km/h (forwards or backwards) or when the drivers mirror is selected.
Taken from my 2004 211 manual so it might be different on yours.

Ahh.. nothing I try makes it work on mine!! Its got memory seats, so I'd expect it to work!!! Argh! :crazy:

frog1520 said:
Ahh.. nothing I try makes it work on mine!! Its got memory seats, so I'd expect it to work!!! Argh! :crazy:

Check cluster preferences. It must also be switched on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom