Dipstick for auto box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
Can someone tell me how I get correct auto gearbox dipstick for my car please 2006 220cdi sport.
I did buy one but it’s far to long. I can feel and hear it hit the bottom of the pan with about 4” still left to go in.
I will go back to the blanking plug put would feel happier knowing it’s spot on.
can I order by chassis number ?
Thanks

Last edited:
You probably have the correct one. It is not intended to stay in the tube, only for measurement.
It does not hit the bottom of the pan. There is a constriction that sets the height of the dipstick.

You probably have the correct one. It is not intended to stay in the tube, only for measurement.
It does not hit the bottom of the pan. There is a constriction that sets the height of the dipstick.
But I would have expected it to go down until the end sits on the dipstick tube top.
is that not the case?

If you look at the plastic bit on the end of your dipstick you should see the shoulders that stop it going right in. This sets the dipstick at the correct level to give you the proper reading.

It is designed as a tool for all 722.6 gearboxes and is exactly that - a tool. Use it for measuring and then remove it and put the cap back on.

It is designed as a tool for all 722.6 gearboxes and is exactly that - a tool. Use it for measuring and then remove it and put the cap back on.
So I can just put the stick in until it stops and then read it? Even with 4” still sticking out the top.

Thanks

Also, it's a good idea to refit the locking tab:

Mechanics have been known to try and pour engine oil into the transmission dipstick tube......
When I started in a garage from school many years ago. Another apprentice got nearly a gallon of engine oil down the dipstick tube Before help came.

When I started in a garage from school many years ago. Another apprentice got nearly a gallon of engine oil down the dipstick tube Before help came.
Have a cap locking pin on order thanks

So I can just put the stick in until it stops and then read it? Even with 4” still sticking out the top.

Thanks
Yes

Also, it's a good idea to refit the locking tab:

Mechanics have been known to try and pour engine oil into the transmission dipstick tube......
Wow that's expensive! Much cheaper on ebay

Thanks
Measure it after a 30min drive at 80 degrees , on the flat , engine running , gearbox in Park .

Yes

Wow that's expensive! Much cheaper on ebay

I can't see the price anyway on my Amazon app - it just says 'does not fit your vehicle' (I no longer have the W203) - the link was so that you can see the make and model of the part.

I can't see the price anyway on my Amazon app - it just says 'does not fit your vehicle' (I no longer have the W203) - the link was so that you can see the make and model of the part.
It's one of these strange ones that doesn't display a price unless you click on 'from these sellers'. £5.23 + £17.95 delivery :eek:

Do we really need to replace with a new cap f doing a DIY?

Years ago since I did mine, but IIRC the clip can be released from underneath the cap with a thin screwdriver, then I cut the bit off the cap that stops the clip just pulling out. So now it's place, but the clip can be removed without breaking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom