Dipstick Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

limby

Car
C320 CDI W204
Hi all,
Checking oil level on my car today for the first time. The dipstick is a bit unusual, I'm used to the straight strip of metal with a couple of notches in it that pulls straight out but this is like a bendy wire with a plastic piece on the end with the min/max markers on and when removing the dipstick it kind of twists round as you remove it. Guess its an MB thing ;)

I'm always paranoid about oil levels so I'm going to risk sounding like a noob and ask the question anyway. Can can someone please post a pic of their dipstick :eek: showing a normal reading? Bit hard to explain but because the thing is cylindrical I was expecting the oil level to show all the way round, but it's like a smear of oil on one side so just wanted to check all was well.

Thanks in advance..

Is that not the gearbox dipstick?

I could be wrong but the oil level is checked via the dashboard, well it is on my 209 cdi anyway.

Pretty sure the one I checked is the engine oil, it matches the picture in the manual. I managed to get a reasonably consistent reading and it was a little on the low side so I put in half a litre

Is that not the gearbox dipstick?

I could be wrong but the oil level is checked via the dashboard, well it is on my 209 cdi anyway.

And yet my 209 definitely does have an engine oil dipstick located at the rear right (as you look at it) part of the engine.
Mine has a 7 speed box and so there is no ATF dipstick on those.

I agree that they're a pain to check. Mine (350Cdi) is the only car that I have ever found, in many moons, 'less than easy' to obtain a decent reading with the flexible wire dipstick. So it isn't just you :)

I think MB went through a period where some were only able to be checked electronically.

The engine oil dip-stick on our E430 is just as described in post #1.
A bendy-wiry thing that twists as you withdraw it.
It has a red plastic stick on the end with arrows for the min/max.
I've never found it a problem.
At least - There is a dip-stick to dip with !!
A normal reading is pretty-much near the top mark with the car on the level and the engine switched off for more than half an hour.

And yet my 209 definitely does have an engine oil dipstick located at the rear right (as you look at it) part of the engine.
Mine has a 7 speed box and so there is no ATF dipstick on those.

Strange, I have the 6 speed manual and only way to check my engine oil level is through the dash. Must be different for different models.

Its important to follow the instructions for checking engine oil level exactly. On level ground after the engine has sat for a least half an hour with the engine off. When the engine is running a certain volume of oil is taken up into the oil galleries of the engine- this can give a lower reading on the dipstick prompting people to top up when its not necessary. Further to that overfilling with oil can damage your engine--due to aeration of the oil leading ironically to bearing oil starvation. If when you measure the oil level correctly it appears to be above the MAX mark- don't ignore-- it remove 500cc/1 litre and check again till you can detect the level is below max. Quick throughput garages do this all the time. At oil change time they routinely refill with the recommended oil capacity ignoring the fact the engine will contain a considerable residual volume of oil leading to overfilling. The bendy dipstick can be difficult to read- best thing is to remove it wipe it clean with a lint free cloth and reinsert fully - whip it out and read quickly as modern oils tend to "run"---- repeat till you get a consistent reading you are satisfied is a true indication of the oil level.

I agree that they're a pain to check. Mine (350Cdi) is the only car that I have ever found, in many moons, 'less than easy' to obtain a decent reading with the flexible wire dipstick. So it isn't just you :)

I think MB went through a period where some were only able to be checked electronically.

Thanks, glad it's not just me!

The engine oil dip-stick on our E430 is just as described in post #1.
A bendy-wiry thing that twists as you withdraw it.
It has a red plastic stick on the end with arrows for the min/max.
I've never found it a problem.
At least - There is a dip-stick to dip with !!
A normal reading is pretty-much near the top mark with the car on the level and the engine switched off for more than half an hour.

Its important to follow the instructions for checking engine oil level exactly. On level ground after the engine has sat for a least half an hour with the engine off. When the engine is running a certain volume of oil is taken up into the oil galleries of the engine- this can give a lower reading on the dipstick prompting people to top up when its not necessary. Further to that overfilling with oil can damage your engine--due to aeration of the oil leading ironically to bearing oil starvation. If when you measure the oil level correctly it appears to be above the MAX mark- don't ignore-- it remove 500cc/1 litre and check again till you can detect the level is below max. Quick throughput garages do this all the time. At oil change time they routinely refill with the recommended oil capacity ignoring the fact the engine will contain a considerable residual volume of oil leading to overfilling. The bendy dipstick can be difficult to read- best thing is to remove it wipe it clean with a lint free cloth and reinsert fully - whip it out and read quickly as modern oils tend to "run"---- repeat till you get a consistent reading you are satisfied is a true indication of the oil level.

Interestingly, according to the manual it says if the engine is at normal operating temp you can check the oil after about 5 mins, but if the engine has just been started for a short time and not reached temp, you must leave it at least 30mins. I didn't really understand this.

It's annoying as my drive is on a slight incline so I don't trust the reading - I have to drive down the road and park it up on the flat to check the oil! I left it for about half an hour as recommended and checked the level, several times to get a consistent reading. Even then I wasn't completely happy with it as it doesn't seem to give a clean line around the red marker piece. Anyway it seemed to be a little bit above the min marker, I'd say somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of the way between the min and max markers so I put 1/2 litre in as the manual said 1 litre if its at or below the min level. I figured that way I wouldn't risk overfilling if my reading was a bit off.

Going to check it again tomorrow on the flat in my work carpark!

The difference in time is because after 5 minutes the oil will have reached all the galleries and the sump level will be lower. Because the oil+engine is still cold it will take some time [30 mins] to flow back into the sump under gravity after the engine is switched off. Once the engine+oil is hot it will drain back into the sump quicker on switch off which allows you to get an accurate reading after 5 minutes.
Take it to work leave it parked for the morning/day and check it just before you leave for home at the end of the morning/day before starting the engine.:dk:

Last edited:
Hi
My issue is similar. I have a flat driveway and when I check the oil in the morning, I am showing half way between the markers. This however is only on one side of the dipstick. When I re insert the dipstick, the oil is showing ABOVE the full marker on both sides. I am getting the feeling that somehow, the plastic markers are dragging some of the oil up the tube, so the second reading is false? Would it hurt the operation of the engine in any way to "Dremmell" the plastic markers away and cut two slight groves where the markers are? Failing this, I am going to have to have an oil change and see at what point the oil is showing at the correct level. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

I wouldn't be too sure that using the book oil change volume will correspond exactly to the dipstick full mark. It certainly doesn't on mine.

When I put in the stated 5.5 litres it comes up to 1/3rd on the dipstick when cold and half way when hot. I've never been tempted to add any more oil as long as it stays above minimum.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have similar issues though when checking the oil?

Ok, I have removed the plastic lugs and cut small grooves where the low and high marks were. I am now getting consistent readings. I can't see the lug removal as a problem, unless anyone knows better?
Cheers

Strange, I have the 6 speed manual and only way to check my engine oil level is through the dash. Must be different for different models.

You still have a dipstick tube, buy a dipstick on EBay and then you will have another way to check your oil level which is 100% accurate unlike the electronic method.

Russ

Yeah mine doesn't have dip stick either, just the electronic method, which I just don't trust, so I'm going to buy a dipstick, apparently they should not be left in the engine when it is being run, according to the dipstick suppliers.

Hi,
I have made my own dip stick from a £2 drain cleaning rod from the local market :confused:
its flat steel strip about 4mm wide and 2-3m long
hidden menu was showing the level at 5.6 litres and "add 1 litre" was the message so inserted the strip down the dip tube to get a reference level
cut off to a reasonable length and bent a loop over on top so it always "dips" to the same depth and marked where the level was.
added the 1 litre as the message said and marked the new level
hidden menu stated 6.5 litres
so I now at least have a reference level on the dip stick

and enough strip to make another 3 or 4 dipsticks !!

the confusing bit is the manual states 7.2 litres as oil capacity :doh:

Hi,
I have made my own dip stick from a £2 drain cleaning rod from the local market so inserted the strip down the dip tube to get a reference level

the confusing bit is the manual states 7.2 litres as oil capacity :doh:

For me the confusing bit is using the electronic level as a reference when it is notorious for being wrong. Mercedes will have a distance already published for your engine that tells you how many mm's from the end of the dipstick is the correct level.

Russ

Hi all,
Checking oil level on my car today for the first time. The dipstick is a bit unusual, I'm used to the straight strip of metal with a couple of notches in it that pulls straight out but this is like a bendy wire with a plastic piece on the end with the min/max markers on and when removing the dipstick it kind of twists round as you remove it. Guess its an MB thing ;)

I'm always paranoid about oil levels so I'm going to risk sounding like a noob and ask the question anyway. Can can someone please post a pic of their dipstick :eek: showing a normal reading? Bit hard to explain but because the thing is cylindrical I was expecting the oil level to show all the way round, but it's like a smear of oil on one side so just wanted to check all was well.

Thanks in advance..

Looks as though you are the V6 the same as mine.

The amount of oil is 8.5 litres including Filter.

From the bottom level to the top level is 2 litres of oil. Don`t OVERFILL.

The level should be at the top of the cylindrical part where it touches the square part...all in orange plastic.

You have to drive at least 4 miles for the oil to heat up then leave for 5/8 mins before you dip the oil level for accuracy.

If you dip too soon when not hot the level will be down as heat expands the oil. It tells you in the handbook manual exactly how to do it!

I agree the type of dipstick is awful with the bendy bit of wire ....i pull up with the plastic part on top then hold the wire bit about half way up as when i put back i don`t want to bend the wire. MB mechanics just seem to get on with it first go straight in...i expect it`s because they don`t have to pay for one if it bends or kinks...lol

Just had mine changed with MB oil and i only gave my friendly garage 8 litres for a start as i cannot see where the level is as it is so clean ...i had to dip about 4/5 times.
Decided to leave until it gets a bit dirty so i can see clearly to top up if any at all.

Last edited:
It's amazing that a simple system of checking oil level that has worked well for 100 years now seems to be so troublesome.

I had full confidence in the old rigid dipstick in my 190E as it correlated exactly with the MB's stated 5.5 litre oil refill. Now I have the new bendy wire dipstick in my W204 it reads a full litre low when the book figure of 5.5 litres is added. It takes a 6.5 litres to get to the dipstick full mark. On the basis that overfilling can be harmful I'm trusting the book figure rather than the dipstick and will not add more than 5.5 litres of oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom