Dipsticks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chimp400

Car
C180 K
Hi All
My dad has just bought a 2005 C180 Kompressor saloon, a W203 I’m assuming?
He’s old school and would like a pair of dipsticks for transmission and engine oil checking.
Has anyone fitted some they can recommend or know what length they should be?
I see lots advertised but wouldn’t buy until sure they fitted.
Thanks.

Your W203 C180 Kompressor is fitted with an engine oil dipstick.

If the car is automatic, then the transmission ATF level inspection tube is at the back of the engine on the left side (when viewed from the front), it does not have a dipstick in it, and it is capped with a red tamper-proof seal (to prevent anyone from trying and pour engine oil into it by mistake).

You can buy a transmission ATF dipstick, though this is not normally required unless you are planning on replacing the ATF yourself.

Also, your car will have the 1.8L M271 engines and 5g gearbox, known issues are:

- Premature timing gear failure. You can replace the timing gear preemptively with modified parts if this has not yet been done.

- Oil leaking from the Camshaft Position Sensors at the front of the engine and making it's way up the wiring loom and into the ECU: remove the two plugs and check that they are dry.

- Split vacuum hose under the air filter box: look out for rough idle and hissing noise.

- Blocked engine crankcase breater: will bring-up EML on the dash.

- Leaking Pilot Bush: check the electrical connector on the transmission under the car to see if it is wet.

- Failed thermostat: check that the car reaches 80 degrees within 10 minutes from cold, and does not ho below that while driving.

Welcome. ^^^ As above , the M271 engine cam chain/sprocket issue is well documented , as suggested search the internet for information and tips on how to spot imminent failure which - if it happens -will normally put the car beyond economical repair...ie: scrap.

The cam chain/gear failure has even been known to have happened on cars with full MB service history, but on a lighter note many M271 engines have gone on for many many , miles without issue. Do research and check the service history for any repair work in this area of the engine.

Thanks for the responses.
At present there is no engine oil dipstick, just a cap over the tube.
My dad (A mechanic) plans to change the transmission oil himself.

Thanks for the responses.
At present there is no engine oil dipstick, just a cap over the tube..

I find that unlikely... I think you are looking at the transmission dipstick tube, not the engine oil dipstick.

The transmission tube will have a black cap with red tamper-proof seal (though some garages don't bother putting a new seal after checking the ATF level).

The engine oil dipstick will have a yellow plastic hook at the top. If it's missing, it's bad news... :)

I will double check but I’m sure he had to use the electronic level display on the dash when he carried out an oil change recently.

I will double check but I’m sure he had to use the electronic level display on the dash when he carried out an oil change recently.
Hmmm.... a 2005 C180 Kompressor should have the M271 4-Cyl 1.8L supercharged petrol engine, which does not have electronic fuel quantity gauge.... unless it's an engine variant I am unfamiliar with. Can you post a photo of the engine bay? Also the first part of the VIN would be helpful (up to the letter in the middle), e.g. WDC2030462Rxxxxxx.

Vin is : wdc2030462r
unable to provide photo due to not being close to car.

Sorry Markjay but it will have the electronic oil level check, which I hate as much as Chimp's Dad. The dipsticks can be bought but the information as to what they should read cannot. Usually there is one very long dipstick used for both levels. it's too long to live under the bonnet, the trans security caps are cheap enough, you have to break them off. Getting the correct figures for levels is VERY difficult, Mercedes keep it to themselves, of course if Dad knows a man who knows, that's different. :)

So does you car not have this?:

20200120-163314.jpg

Yes, but it's only a cap, no dipstick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom