Directline: now cheaper to renew than new!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Every year I take out my insurance with Directline as I find them cheapest for both cars and the house. Rather than accept the renewal though go online and get a fresh quote as if I were a new customer, and each time I save enough to make it worth my while.

That's what I did last month when the house insurance came up for renewal and it saved a fair chunk (I forget how much). When I called to cancel the auto renewal the lad I spoke to said next time give them a call as they could adjust my renewal.

So I've just got online quotes for both cars expecting to get cheaper quotes than the renewal and so I could follow his advice and call. I got a shock:

ML270 CDi - Comprehensive with protected NCB
Renewal: £299.25 with option of 0% APR if I want to pay monthly.
Online: £318.15 with interest at 23.9% if I want to pay monthly.

C32 AMG - Comprehensive with protected NCB
Renewal: £374.85 with option of 0% APR if I want to pay monthly.
Online: £394.80 with interest at 23.9% if I want to pay monthly.

In both cases the renewal is £20 cheaper, and I have the option to pay monthly without interest!!

I don't like paying interest and so would normally pay up front, but at 0% I'd be daft not to take it as that money could work harder for me elsewhere.

Anyone else found similar?

I'm with Norwich Union/Aviva, my renewal/upgrade was £200 cheaper through them than I could find anywhere else.
I had assumed that I would be moving companies, but on that basis I stuck with them!

I'm with Norwich Union/Aviva, my renewal/upgrade was £200 cheaper through them than I could find anywhere else.
I had assumed that I would be moving companies, but on that basis I stuck with them!

I generally find NU best value.

Every year I take out my insurance with Directline as I find them cheapest for both cars and the house. Rather than accept the renewal though go online and get a fresh quote as if I were a new customer, and each time I save enough to make it worth my while.

That's what I did last month when the house insurance came up for renewal and it saved a fair chunk (I forget how much). When I called to cancel the auto renewal the lad I spoke to said next time give them a call as they could adjust my renewal.

So I've just got online quotes for both cars expecting to get cheaper quotes than the renewal and so I could follow his advice and call. I got a shock:

ML270 CDi - Comprehensive with protected NCB
Renewal: £299.25 with option of 0% APR if I want to pay monthly.
Online: £318.15 with interest at 23.9% if I want to pay monthly.

C32 AMG - Comprehensive with protected NCB
Renewal: £374.85 with option of 0% APR if I want to pay monthly.
Online: £394.80 with interest at 23.9% if I want to pay monthly.

In both cases the renewal is £20 cheaper, and I have the option to pay monthly without interest!!

I don't like paying interest and so would normally pay up front, but at 0% I'd be daft not to take it as that money could work harder for me elsewhere.

Anyone else found similar?

I've had this situation (cheaper renewing online rather than accepting the renwal in the post) on a regular basis with MORE THAN and I think on-line is naturally cheaper because it saves admin charges.

I cannot speak highly enough of MORE THAN who are excellent when it comes to making a claim. They don't quibble and go way beyond the call of duty - sometimes embarassingly so.

I've had this situation (cheaper renewing online rather than accepting the renwal in the post) on a regular basis with MORE THAN and I think on-line is naturally cheaper because it saves admin charges.

I cannot speak highly enough of MORE THAN who are excellent when it comes to making a claim. They don't quibble and go way beyond the call of duty - sometimes embarassingly so.

That's how it's always been for me too.

I've never known anyone ever have a cheaper renewal through the post that can be had from the same company as a new online quote though.

Maybe the insurance companies are listening to grumbles from customers about loyal customers losing out, etc. Or maybe they've noticed how many existing customers stay with them, but via an online quote rather than renewal.

Looked up on "compare the market .com" and cheapest 2 were brokers.....both these were offering insurance from Aviva (NU)......so I decided to go direct to Aviva on their website and I managed to get a 12 months for the price of 10 deal that was about £50 cheaper than the cheapest quote on "compare the market .com" even though the insurance was basically being provided by the same company!!

Maybe Directline are trying to hold on to their client base in view of their upcoming sale (as mentioned by Grober)?

FWIW, I have various policies with both Directline and Aviva covering motor, buildings, contents and travel. In the last 12 months I haven't paid the quoted renewal premium on any of my policies and I haven't moved any of them either. I just phone up and ask nicely what deal they're prepared to do bearing in mind what prices I can get from other providers and that "times are hard". In each instance I've ended up not only paying less than their renewal quotation, but less than last year's premium too :)

This happened on my daughter's car a couple of months ago with Admiral.

The policy is on auto-renew, and it's the regular drill to check a few comparison sites then go back and say we want to cancel the renewal. They transfer us to someone (I guess a rententions type of thing) and allegedly play with some numbers and match the price. Most years the difference is around £100.

This year, went through the same process and the price from the rentention people was higher even than the renewal! They knocked £60 off for loyalty but were still miles out.

Zurich Connect provided an acceptable quote in her case. They seem to be pushing for business.

I'm looking for insurance on a clk55 amg. Anyone got suggestions. I've had a quote of £650 from Elephant so far.

I'm looking for insurance on a clk55 amg. Anyone got suggestions. I've had a quote of £650 from Elephant so far.

I've found Directline very AMG friendly.

For the last few years, I've been with Morethan as I found them the cheapest for me. This year, I mentioned to the sales guy on the phone that the web quote was cheaper so he just processed it for me there and then :thumb: On the down side my insurance went up over £80 when I switched from the Scorpio to the E Class 300TD, quite a hike but I have to say but the car is worth every penny :D
£302 fully comp, 15000miles for a 43 year old with a clean licence & umpteen years no claims.

Cheers Jim

I insure both my AMG's for less than that.....try NU Direct :D

Looked up on "compare the market .com" and cheapest 2 were brokers.....both these were offering insurance from Aviva (NU)......so I decided to go direct to Aviva on their website and I managed to get a 12 months for the price of 10 deal that was about £50 cheaper than the cheapest quote on "compare the market .com" even though the insurance was basically being provided by the same company!!

That's exactly the way to do it :D........and when, just at the paying stage, you appear to be to be wavering ;);)....they throw in a £30 JL gift voucher :D:D

Liverpool Victoria seem to be the new kids on the block. I took policy with them this year and scored £40 cashback through Quidco.

:bannana:

I find Direct Line works for me. Been with them for a few years now. I was a bit cheeky/persistent this year. I rang back thrice and went back with their best quote asking them to beat it. Only on the third attempt did I find someone else from their loyalty department willing to pull a rabbit out of a hat and find something else to give me a little more discount. I was able to beat the Meerkats by £60.
In my experience though you can't find one Insurance company that works out cheaper for everyone.
For instance I've never got a good quote from NU even with a good driving record and low risk post code. Don't know why.

Lowest quote I have just obtained for a CLK500 Convertible was £324 from Aviva (NU)...... I would try them direct......

Equity Redstar - broker in Colchester is ££££££££ cheaper. Recommeded via First Direct (HSBC) when I last insured the 280.

I have been with Direct Line for years and the previous E55 I had was only £400 a year.

But they have become increasingly expensive and wanted £80 extra for factory tinted windows on my Volvo. I told them how I felt about it (option was £200) and the waived the charge.

Next year we'll see who will get the business....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom