disable B180 airbag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
Hello all and happy new year.
I have recently acquired a lovely B180 - 2005 (except for the turning radius ..... What the hell did they think when they build that car???? [emoji848][emoji849]).
Anyway, now that the missus in the 9th month pregnant I am thinking about disabling the front pax airbag.
Has anyone done that on that model and how difficult is it to do?
Any advice/info is greatly appreciated [emoji2]
Thanks

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

No no no

If you are that worried put your wife in the back.

Unless you have the option to switch it off - the owners handbook will tell you how

On both me MB cars there was no option to manually disable the front passenger airbag when the front passenger seat is occupied (I did have this option on other non-MB cars). Not sure if MB do that across their range, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be done on the B-Class either.

But, as greenmanslk said, regardless of the airbag, if she's in her 9th month, move the front passenger seat all the way forward and let her sit in the back... much safer this way. And you only have to do that for a couple of weeks at most anyway :)

Not advising to do that, as above already mentioned, however the front passenger airbag will deactivate, when ISOFIX is detected, i.e. contacts engaged (closed or open I don't know).

The indicator under the hazards button will stay illuminated.

Thanks for your replies!
I didn't know that about the isofix.

Apparently it's not call ISOFIX, if it's a front seat - it's BABY SAFE PLUS or DUO PLUS or KID. The rest above is correct.

I hope we're not asking the OP's preganant wife to seat in an ISOFIX baby seat in order to get the airbag deactivated....? :)

Apparently it's not call ISOFIX, if it's a front seat - it's BABY SAFE PLUS or DUO PLUS or KID. The rest above is correct.
I believe this is also called Automatic Child Seat Recognition (ACSR).

Reactions: GLK
I hope we're not asking the OP's preganant wife to seat in an ISOFIX baby seat in order to get the airbag deactivated....? :)
To paraphrase Lev Landau, essentially every function can be narrowed down to either a closed or open circuit (he said every malfunction can be traced to either a closed or open circuit, where it should be otherwise) - so just a matter of finding the relevant pins and ... o_O

An airbag, a pair of wire cutters, soldering iron, tin wire, and a preganant woman.

Doesn't sound like a healthy mix...

Isn't the front the safest place to sit rather than back?
Appreciate your wife if pregnant but can't you get a harness which attaches to the seat belt or reposition the belt appropriately around the bump?
Congrats btw mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Isn't the front the safest place to sit rather than back?
Appreciate your wife if pregnant but can't you get a harness which attaches to the seat belt or reposition the belt appropriately around the bump?
Congrats btw mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes, we got the seatbelt reposition hook, she's using it for the past few months while driving with the car but the belly is now too big therefore she's now confined to be a passenger.

Update: had a chat with the MB dealer people today...
Airbag can't be deactived for a passenger, only if the the baby seat has the sensor build in or weight is within certain parameters.
So the options are, the pregnant lady sits in the back or if she sits in the front she uses the seatbelt reposition hook and moves the seat as far back and as low as possible.

That makes sense. Any problem with sitting at the back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom