Disable or Disconnect Cruise Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Does anyone know how to disconnect or disable the cruise control (tempomat) in a W201?

Mine stuck on full throttle tonight, and scared the pants off me :eek:

Ended up with smoking brakes and an engine that (in neutral) was going to rev itself to destruction.

No idea why it would do it of it's own accord - as I don't use the cruise, and certainly didn't this evening.

The only point of any possible relevance is that I changed a rear brake bulb on Sunday afternoon (as it had blown).

Removing the fuse is not an option, as the same fuse controls other elements which are required.

Many thanks in advance,

K

Would it be better to book it in to find the cause rather than do the above?

I appreciate that must have been a scarry situation but I for one find cruise very relaxing and comfortable.

Hopefully someone will be along with some possible causes?

Cruise is not a feature I use - so quite happy and content to disable/disconnect it.

Are you sure it's not just a stuck throttle cable/linkage?

Will

When it happened, and I managed to find a safe place to stop, I phoned a friend who talked me through a few things.

Unfortunately the engine was pretty hot, so I wasn't able to check the CC itself. The throttle was stuck open, which I believe is as a consequence of the CC. I (eventually) pushed it back into place and all was OK from then on.

Bar the smoking brakes :eek:

I'll get Den in Sunninghill to give it a once over, although I'm not sure how soon/quickly he could do that.

Cant see it being cruise because as soon as you touch brake or clutch pedal (if manual) should knock it out, or put it in neutral should do the same.
I would agree as said you have a problem with throttle linkage somewhere.

Lynall

So it wasn't my imagination then!!!!!!!

A few years ago the CC on my '94 W202 floored the throttle from standstill at the entrance to a roundabout on a wet road. You can still see the outcome. Two new(ish) barrier panels at the St. Margarets roundabout on the A316 and a written-off car.

I'll have a look for those 2 panels next time I'm over that way!

It was fine this morning and this afternoon - but I was ready and had my escape routes sorted at all time.

The problem I had last night was that it kicked in just as I came into the roadworks on the M3 between Camberley and Bagshot .... and there was no hard shoulder - just a barrier to protect the workforce :eek:

Anyway, I've handed the car over to Den a little earlier - and am letting him look at it and sort it on Friday.

He's going to disable the CC and give the throttle linkage a good going over - so between the 2 of them hopefully it'll be solved.

I'm at Goodwood on Friday so may not have an update until the weekend.

I'll have a look for those 2 panels next time I'm over that way!

It was fine this morning and this afternoon - but I was ready and had my escape routes sorted at all time.

The problem I had last night was that it kicked in just as I came into the roadworks on the M3 between Camberley and Bagshot .... and there was no hard shoulder - just a barrier to protect the workforce :eek:

Anyway, I've handed the car over to Den a little earlier - and am letting him look at it and sort it on Friday.

He's going to disable the CC and give the throttle linkage a good going over - so between the 2 of them hopefully it'll be solved.

I'm at Goodwood on Friday so may not have an update until the weekend.

that wasnt you that caused the crash on the a30 at Windlesham today was it? :eek:

John,

What time was that at? Looks like I missed it.

There was also a VERY nasty one on the Monday evening of Royal Ascot, just by the Windmill

The cruise control actuator will likely be at fault if the linkage moves freely.
I've only known this to happen on one car which was sat for many years before being put back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom