Disabled /blue badge scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. B

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Do we have any views on the abuse of the disabled / blue badge scheme ?

I hear it's big business in the cities where a badge can be exchanged for £100's.

Should be tougher penalties for abusers of blue badges,really bugs me.

Digressing, but connected - I know a guy who lives in a house that used to be occupied by an elderly blue badge holder and had a "badge" painted on the road outside his house.

The new guy got his white paint out and painted the fading sign back in (very badly too).

Now he uses it to reserve the space outside his house - it makes me mad too.

A Merc owner too.

Some of the elderly assume they have a right to a blue badge (based on age) when there is naff all wrong with them.

Nip out one night with a tin of black paint :D

Digressing, but connected - I know a guy who lives in a house that used to be occupied by an elderly blue badge holder and had a "badge" painted on the road outside his house.

The new guy got his white paint out and painted the fading sign back in (very badly too).

A Merc owner too.

Might I suggest an anonymous telephone call to the Highways Dept.

One of the neighbours tried it and was told that the road marking was advisory and anyone could use it - they weren't interested in removing it.
However, nobody parks on it, except the guy in the house.

One of the neighbours tried it and was told that the road marking was advisory and anyone could use it - they weren't interested in removing it.
However, nobody parks on it, except the guy in the house.

"If it's free and you need to park there get it used".

I know it's easier said then done.

All the neighbours need to stick together and all use it.

What percentage of blue badge use is illegal? 80%+ is my guess.

What percentage of blue badge use is illegal? 80%+ is my guess.
I dont know where you get the idea of such a high percentage of Blue Badges being illegal , however , i can tell you that a very high percentage of genuine badge users ( including my wife) would very much rather that they did not need them. Incidentally my wife had to make several attempts to get her badge and needed a letter from our G.P.

An acquaintance has a blue badge. Her only medical condition is malformed hands, no mobility problems. She drives a completely standard vehicle and no problem using the gearshift and other controls. Why should she qualify for a blue badge?

Perhaps she can't insert a coin into a parking meter.......it's a mad world

A Merc owner too.

A phone call to the local councillor would probably get it sorted .

Alternatively , the local rag might print the story .

An acquaintance has a blue badge. Her only medical condition is malformed hands, no mobility problems. She drives a completely standard vehicle and no problem using the gearshift and other controls. Why should she qualify for a blue badge?
If you are correct that these are her only problems then she would definitely not get a Blue Badge without lying and without her GP lying to back her up.

Nobody wants to be disabled.

GPs are no longer involved in the Blue badge process. Most applicants I have dealt with were all genuine however as with everything there were a few rogues who did not get their paperwork signed by me. It used to be based solely on how far you could walk unaided and around 50-100m was the qualifying point. Now its much more complicated. I have had several people make appointments just to get help filling the form in.
Just bear in mind patients lie to us all the time about things to do with benefits etc. Most of us can tell when its happening but cant prove it.

A Merc owner too.

John
A disabled space outside a house is assigned SOLELY for the use of the person to whom it was designated. For ANYONE else to use it, including Blue Badge holders, they risk incurring a fine.
Therefore what your neighbour is doing is illegal in two ways. One marking it out and secondly using it.

Last edited:

Compensation for not being able to flick V's at traffic wardens ?

;)

There are two types of disabled parking outside private property (including Council houses) There are courtesy bays...these are advisory ( cannot be enforced) these can be identified by a lack of any other signs apart from the marking of the road.
The second type has a pole with a 'Disabled Parking Parking Only' on it, these are enforcable, however, these places can be used by anyone with a valid Blue Badge.These type of disabled bays are rarer, the local authority has to apply for a 'traffic order' cost roughly £2000.
Some Councils go further and provide 'Private Bays' these have the above plus a sign showing a reg number.
The above facts came from various places on the internet,they are not what I think I know, or what I think is what should be correct.

I dont know where you get the idea of such a high percentage of Blue Badges being illegal.

Not so much illegal badges but illegal use of badges. To get a badge you're supposed to have diffuculty walking yet watch any disabled carpark and note the number of people who use one then sprint off for an afternoon's shopping or whatever.

Not having a pop at anyone who genuinely needs one of course, just they seem to be in the minority.

The new guy got his white paint out and painted the fading sign back in (very badly too)
As you have stated thes spaces are arbitary. Anyone can use them disabled or not as they have no road restriction order on them The only ones that are mandatory must display a vertical sign and are yellow lines not white as you often see or with any other type of emblem on them. As also stated a call to you local council either the highways dept or even adult services should stop him if he is not entitled to the space. Our local council have now stopped from doing these bays due to the mass applications especially in busy areas.

You nowqualify for a blue badge through your benefit entitlement and you need a medium or higher rate of mobility component to qualify. The medical is now being done for this mostly as part of the benefit review package where people are examined or reviewed.

As for abuse, I doubt there is many badges that are not abused whether its by partners or other familiy members using them or an excuse to park illegally with them which more often than not only attracts a warning as the sympathy card fits in.

GH3382

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom