Disabled parking bays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Its funny how some things really get your goat!

I went to Asda earlier today and was walking from my remote corner parking spec past the disabled bays towards the store. I watched an 08 IS Lexus pull into a disabled bay and watched a 40-odd year old couple get out. He walked with a very bad limp which made me feel sympathy for him. The pair then fell about laughing and he walked perfectly able-bodied into the shop.
Now for an able-bodied person to use a disabled bay is despicable but what really ground my gears was the fact that they thought it hilarious to make fun of being disabled and be so arrogant to assume they had the right to behave in this way.
I saw them again in the shop and he was still larking about like a schoolkid.
I hate the thought of someone's car receiving car park damage but in their case I would have welcomed it!
Rant over.

Very annoying.

Hopefully Karma does exist and his luck might change.

What goes around etc...maybe he will really need a disabled car space one day ( not wishing Ill on anyone of course)

As for these two try this " excuse me is that your lexus in a disabled space? I think someone has just run into it" And see how fast they move!

Just a note of caution regarding jumping to conclusions re: disabled bay use. Disabilities can take a variety of forms, some of which are not immediately obvious to the casual observer. For example heart and lung conditions that may make walking even short distances something of a trial, yet the sufferer may look perfectly healthy to you or me.

Just a note of caution regarding jumping to conclusions re: disabled bay use. Disabilities can take a variety of forms, some of which are not immediately obvious to the casual observer. For example heart and lung conditions that may make walking even short distances something of a trial, yet the sufferer may look perfectly healthy to you or me.

But the car should always have a blue badge on display.

There was no blue badge, I looked.

But the car should always have a blue badge on display.
If taking advantage of statutory provisions for disabled access on public land, yes, but a blue badge has no meaning on private land - although the landowner may choose to require display of a valid blue badge to use restricted facilities, in the same way that they may say that "only red cars may park in these bays".

There was no blue badge, I looked.
If there's no blue badge, the car should not be parked there, even if the driver or one of the passangers have a temporary disability.

If the car does have a legit blue badge.... then as said we should not make assumptions about the driver's or occupants' disability.

Said that, making light of a disability is poor show under any circumstances.

While I won't condone the Lexus driver actions I have to say disabled parking bays can be a bit of a nonsense in terms of their numbers. At the supermarkets I visit it's common sight to see a dozen of them all unoccupied. The principle is right, I just think they got the sums wrong in many cases.

While I won't condone the Lexus driver actions I have to say disabled parking bays can be a bit of a nonsense in terms of their numbers. At the supermarkets I visit it's common sight to see a dozen of them all unoccupied. The principle is right, I just think they got the sums wrong in many cases.
Been to Westfield White City last night, the underground car park was very busy, and yet there were rows and rows of empty disabled bays... said that I am assuming there's a certain standard in terms of percentage of disabled bays that the developer must meet in order to obtain planning permission etc.

I suppose the only way to guarantee there are enough is to have far too many. The problem is it's not doing the cause any good at all when people see something that appears not to be sensible.

I watched an 08 IS Lexus pull into a disabled bay and watched a 40-odd year old couple get out. He walked with a very bad limp which made me feel sympathy for him. The pair then fell about laughing and he walked perfectly able-bodied into the shop.

Fiver says they will cop it for real one day. :devil:

Maybe disabled people gave up shopping at such places due to coffee-shakers parking in their spaces.

:D

Years ago when I was (much) younger and carefree I parked in a disabled bay as the car park was full and it was right in front of the cash machine I wanted to use. I never parked in the disabled bays before. As I got out, an elderly gentleman (who had trouble walking) said 'I hope you don't need to park there for real one day'. I did feel bad even though I was there fore 2 minutes as I had prevented a blue badge holder from using a designated bay.

Fast forward 15 years and now I need the bays and it pi$$es me off when non-badge holders use them. Karma I guess.

At my local supermarket I forgot to display my badge and was questioned by security (rightly so) and I showed my badge, he was happy. The only annoying part is every time I go there, there are regularly non-badge holders parked there but I have never seen anyone else being questioned. Maybe because I am young and don't have a wheelchair or a walking aid?

I do get some dirty looks when I sometimes park in these bays, until they see my badge and then look away.

Disabled bays are very convenient but I would rather not need a badge and park in the normal bays

My Dad is 92, dreadful eyesight(macular degenration) which resulted in his licence being revoked about 3 years ago. He had a blue badge as a carer for my mother before she passed away and kept using it in the 15 years since.
When he stopped driving, he became friendly with a "Black Widow" kind of woman and she drives him around, still using his blue badge. Not happy about it really because even at 92 he isn't disabled, nor is she, but I keep quiet to avoid any rows.

I had a trike built for me on return to the UK. it could carry 3 people and my wheelchair. I was often questioned as to why I had a blue badge.
There is a splendid organisation for disabled motorcyclists N.A.B.D. National Association for Bikers with a Disability. I was a member for a good few years. They help people to keep their driving licence and will assist in modifying motorcycles.....including solo machines that can be ridden by most people. This includes amputees.
There are 'clicktronic servo unit's that change gear electrically from the handle bars. Also adaptations that lower stabilizers when coming to a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom