Disabled parking bays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont think BB holders can park on double yellows, they do because they get away with it. I think some BB holders think the badge gives them the right to park where ever they want.
I think that they can, they do in my village.

I dont think BB holders can park on double yellows, they do because they get away with it. I think some BB holders think the badge gives them the right to park where ever they want.

Yes you can and it helps make life that bit easier for those in need.

You may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours if it is safe to do so but not within 15 metres of a junction or where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and/or signs on plates.

I think that they can, they do in my village.
I should have googled this first. You ard correct, BB holders can park on double yellow lines for 3 hours providing they are not causing an obstruction. I always thought the purpose of yellow lines was to alert drivers that parking there was an obstruction but hey ho!

I really do understand that people resent abusers of the BB scheme. However I do sense a complete lack of empathy & compassion for genuinely less abled folk. Using BB ‘s really isn’t life or death but it does make life’s struggle just a little bit easier.

People are too quick to judge. They see a person (using a disabled parking spot) for less than a minute and make judgment on the persons circumstances (because they are smiling? Or seem cheery?) They don’t see the person for the remaining 23 hours of the day.

Maybe next time you see someone in a space, ask them if they need help with their shopping. It’s nice to be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do understand that people resent abusers of the BB scheme. However I do sense a complete lack of empathy & compassion for genuinely less abled folk. Using BB ‘s really isn’t life or death but it does make life’s struggle just a little bit easier.

People are too quick to judge. They see a person (using a disabled parking spot) for less than a minute and make judgment on the persons circumstances (because they are smiling? Or seem cheery?) They don’t see the person for the remaining 23 hours of the day.

Maybe next time you see someone in a space, ask them if they need help with their shopping. It’s nice to be nice.

I completely agree Ant, a few days ago I was in the Tesco car park. An elderly gentleman, with his wife in a wheelchair was clearly struggling putting everything into the car. I was surprised absolutely no one stopped to help, so walked over from the other side of the car park and helped him. Some people are so selfish :(

I (because they are smiling? Or seem cheery?) They don’t see the person for the remaining 23 hours of the day.
They may well be Cheery etc as Happy has said, some poor sods only outside home contact or family contact is being taken/going to tesco's etc...it can be a very isolating thing being disabled...Further more, when they get home they more often than not have no energy to put the shopping away, but just flop down in a chair & sleep to recuperate. This is worth it to them just to actually "Feel" part of society, they really do not need judgemental looks etc. If i was that ill I would have home delivery...but maybe not if you were lonely, stop & try to consider other peoples life's ...then think how lucky you are ....

I need to hold my hand up here. I was rather naughty one day. It was my first day driving after my foot was rebuilt and I had not been allowed to put my foot down for twelve whole weeks of purgatory. Anyhoooo, I went to Brantano (now defunct) to see if I could get a pair of shoes that would more or less fit and not hurt. There was a Bentley parked across TWO disabled bays, no badge. I "borrowed" my husband's badge and parked across the back of it, blocking it in. Then I went shoe shopping (by that time on just one crutch). :p
I suppose you weren’t actually IN a disabled space , therefore did nothing wrong!

First of all, Derek, your comment made me laugh! And secondly, french's comment is all too true. My husband can go to our small Tesco store, put his car in a disabled bay and show his badge. He's good for about 15-20 minutes in the shop hanging on to the trolley and can get the bags in the car, but by the time he gets home, he's exhausted. I've told him to phone me on arrival so I can get the bags in...

Until suffering a stroke 10 years ago my wife worked practically full time , and whilst not athletic , she was always very active , and quite trim for a 56 year old. As a result of inactivity she has put on quite a bit of weight , and together with now suffering from arthritis her mobility is slowly but surely getting worse. I am not noted for being the most patient of people , and frequently wander ahead of her when we are out. My poor excuse is that for thirty five years I was used to her rushing around , and keep forgetting her lack of mobility. Likewise friends and family assume that because she is chatty and outgoing , she is fine. However , I can assure you that after a day out , or a now rare night out , she will be absolutely shattered the next day . Hence , I now reserve judgement when I see an apparently fit person using a disabled space . It is also quite amusing to see some people’s reactions when we park the 450SL in a disabled bay . For some reason it seems the disabled should not travel in a convertible . This would be rather like thinking all BMW drivers are inferior ......................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom