Disabling auto wipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geofrobins

Car
CLK 320CDI coupe 2008
Am I alone in not liking auto wipers? Mine seem to have a mind of their own, either wiping too fast or too slow and sometimes going quite berserk.
I would like to disconnect the auto function, as I believe the wiper stalk would default to intermittent wipe when switched to the 'auto' position.

To achieve this, I would like to disconnect the lead from the sensor behind the rear view mirror but this has three wires going into it - presumably for the auto headlights as well. I want to keep that function if possible, so does anyone know which wire(s) go to the wipers and which to the lights?

I've had them on the previous car and on this one and they work very well. Before that you were either continuously fiddling with the variable interval or the fixed interval was always out of tune with the rainfall.

If they don't work properly, perhaps it's a matter of getting their sensitivity adjusted or a case of a bad sensor?

Usually it is about bad wiper blades (dirty and/or worn), could be dirty windscreen too. In an extreme case you could have the sensor adapter like suggested above.

Been down that road. Can't be disconnected afaik cos of the canbus interface. Fixed mine by concealing sensor with duct tape which seemed to trick the 'puter into working correctly. Also. Fit new blade (as has been said) which makes huge difference. Trouble with dissing the sensor is that it also interfaces with the brakes (I think) so they touch the pads in wet weather on SBC brakes.

I really don't like the auto wipers either. I will try new blades before I give up on them completely but mine are hyperactive as well.

I was spoiled by my old E34 BM. The intermittent wipers were a stroke of genius. Starting in the Off position you turn them to Intermittent and back Off again. Then after the desired time back to Intermittent and leave them alone. It remembered the delay until you changed it.

I would love to be able to add that circuit into the car instead of the sensor but I don't really know how.

I do like the auto lights so it's not all bad.

I was spoiled by my old E34 BM. The intermittent wipers were a stroke of genius. Starting in the Off position you turn them to Intermittent and back Off again. Then after the desired time back to Intermittent and leave them alone. It remembered the delay until you changed it.

Sounds clever, for a car that does not have a rain sensor. ;) You would get tired with that if the rain changes or you turn and get the wind from another direction etc. etc. The rain sensor would handle all cases well (if you just take care it works like it should, as explained above).

As has been said, erratic auto-wipers is usually down to a dirty screen (even the faintest of films across the sensor will cause problems) and/or worn blades.

Really make sure the screen is clean, not just clear, especially this time of year as the salt can film and cause problems.

Final resort would be to have the senor re-adapted to the screen, this involves use of STAR and a visit to the dealer or indie.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I'll fit new wipers and hopefully it will be problem solved.

My auto-sensing wipers sometimes just stop for no apparent reason. I was recently driving on the motorway in light drizzle and the wipers were working fine, but then they just stopped. I waited for them to start again but they didn't! So, I pressed the washer button but that didn't work either!! By the time I switched them to normal mode, I couldn't see a thing!!!

Very, very dangerous.:crazy:

Auto wipers on both mine and my wifes car are a pita and we have both said std intermittent would be much better, screen is spotless and both cars have new gen mb blades still rubbish:( .

Forget they are on ign on screen frozen and wiper attepmts to clear screen not good for wiper blade.

Lynall

Mine cope well with dizzle and road grot but not big spotty raindrops, which is annoying

I have not got them on my new car.:devil:
I had them on the old one, :D
I do miss them.
I may retrofit them at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom