Disabling brake assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

996jimbo

Car
GLC250
Dear all,

Advice sought re. my '98 W202 C43.

Is there a simple way of disabling electronic brake assist without affecting all the other gizmos?

A couple of times now I've hit the brake a little swiftly then off but have continued braking for a split second and I don't like the experience. I am happy that in any sphincter-troubling situations I will be able to press the brake peddle quite hard enough on my own.

Thanks

hmmm. I'm wouldnt it saved my life on one occasion! Very high speed, when a car moved from the inside lane to the mercedes lane with no notice at all. A staggering emergency stop saved my neck!

R2D2 said:
hmmm. I'm wouldnt it saved my life on one occasion! Very high speed, when a car moved from the inside lane to the mercedes lane with no notice at all. A staggering emergency stop saved my neck!

Fair enough but I seem to be doing staggering emergency stops when I'm only looking for a startled slight reduction in speed!

Suggest you get it looked at rather than disable it

plgibson said:
Suggest you get it looked at rather than disable it

I agree; it shouldn't be detectable ever apart from in an emergency.

Well if I suddenly slam my foot on the brake it obviously feels it is an emergency - I think it's working fine. This happens occasionally (say three times in the last 10,000 miles) when I'm barreling down a narrow country road a little quickly and meet a car coming the other way.

The problem is that if I slam my foot on the brake and then realise there is no emergency whatever mechanism is operating the brake assist is slightly behind me. Hence it continues to brake for a split second longer. Hence I don't like it.

Its saved my bacon once or twice! I would definately keep it active. I think it is incorporated with the ABS so not sure whether its a simple disconnection.

996jimbo said:
Well if I suddenly slam my foot on the brake it obviously feels it is an emergency - I think it's working fine. This happens occasionally (say three times in the last 10,000 miles) when I'm barreling down a narrow country road a little quickly and meet a car coming the other way.

The problem is that if I slam my foot on the brake and then realise there is no emergency whatever mechanism is operating the brake assist is slightly behind me. Hence it continues to brake for a split second longer. Hence I don't like it.

Surely it is better to "Overbrake" than "Underbrake".

Overbrake saves your LIFE. :rock:

Underbrake caused you Painful Damage and NO car. :eek:

You will Never react as Fast as the Electronics.

Think again Mate, for your own Safety.

Maybe get your system checked.

Durung spirited driving, I have often had the ABS cut in under braking, but to my recolection, never brake assist. In fact, I have tried to induce it on an empty road before because I have never knowingly experienced it.

Gotta agree with Brian, don't think your driving skills are better than they are. Most people who do this end up in nasty accidents.

I was bowling along the Fosse way one Friday evening when a Learner pulled out of their drive on a bend. Brake assist got me from 65 to 10 in about 3 inches and I avoided killing both of the occupants in front. The guy behind me in a Mondeo couldn't stop in time and swerved violently to avoid mounting my tail. I've never seen it in use since, and never want to !

Got to agree with all that's been said.

This past week one of my rear speed sensors went and that threw the BAS and ESP out and I could tell the difference straight away! :rolleyes: . Had an interesting conversation with the dealership guy when he was saying they couldn't look at it for two weeks (and let me have a courtesy car) and how could I have felt the difference :rolleyes: . The conversation went along the lines-

"So you want me to drive around in a car with it's safety features diabled?"

"Yes - you'll be fine"

"erm - you don't know how I drive"

that look of - "you're a woman"....

I reminded him of the engine size and power of my car and that unlike perhaps many woman he deals with I do use it well :devil: and that as such an immediate repair was required to protect my life!

Car was done in two days ;)

Moral of the story - BAS is an essential safety feature of the car and not one to be tampered with. It is there to save you and other people's lives, not disconnect because it might not be working properly.

Sorry if that sounds like preaching - but would you disconnect your lights if they became faulty? No - you'd get them fixed. ;)

Now why doesn't that attitude from the dealer surprise me.

Many years ago, my mother went to look at replacements for her Suzuki SJ, one of which was a Rover Metro GTI (which I'm glad in hindsight we didn't get, but we were considering all hot hatches).

The salesman dropped the ultimate clanger with the question "Are you going to be ok in a car with such a large amount of power?" (what, a mighty 120hp?), which earned him the biggest glare in existance from me mum, and the words "Don't take the piss, son"

I then had the consummate pleasure of explaning to him that her car before the jeep was a tuned Renault 5 Gordini, which regularly used to see the wrong side of 125mph.

Never ever make an assumption about an owner based on looks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom