Disappearing Cursor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
Not a disappearing curser, which is what I am when this happens.

OK - I have XP Pro and the cursor skips right off the application fairly regularly and for no apparent reason. A lot of mouse scrabbling brings it back in view.

It's apparently a known fault. But does anyone have a cure?

Btw XP is set to auto-update when closing down so I believe I'm on the latest release.

Laptop or Desktop? If it's a desktop are you using any third party mouse drivers (like Logitec?). What application? Are you using a wireless mouse?

It's a Dell desktop system with a wired mouse called 'DELL'.
As for applications, well, this one, and any and all of the bundled MS Office applications. Everything, really.

If you are using an optical mouse, a patterned mouse mat can make the cursor jump about a lot.

Did a search on 'Logitec' and came up with three files. The contents of Notepad reads:

"The currently installed driver for Logitech MouseWare or Logitech iTouch is not compatible with Microsoft Windows XP and will be disabled during the upgrade. You should uninstall the Logitech drivers and software before continuing with the upgrade.

For more information about this driver, visit the manufacturer's Web site at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=383. Web addresses can change, so you might be unable to connect to this Web site.

For a list of software supported by this version of Microsoft Windows, see the Microsoft Windows XP Compatibility List at http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=whistler&ar=help&sba=compatible." "

So could it be that the auto update didn't do an uninstall and I should do this - or will that disable the pointing device and leave me mouseless???

Btw there is a red light emanating from under my mouse, which is also wired in, so is it optical or noptical??

masqueraid said:

According to Sling Code at the above address, the mouse with the attitude problem is the Dell Optical USB mouse, DP/N: 0C8649, M/N: M056U0. The mouse that Dell sends to replace it looks identical at first glance (he writes) but is made by Logitech. DP/N: 0C8639, M/N: M-UVDEL1.

After turning it over and examining it with my Holmes lens I see I have the replacement mouse already, as original equipment!

I also have a luridly multicoloured mouse mat courtesy of Sophos Anti-Virus so I have turned it upside down and the matt black underside is now the mouse pad.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll post the results in a day or three....

Turning the mat has stopped the problem. So PJH is on to something here. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Here's something else: since altering my security levels after a trojan alarm (that proved unfounded) I haven't been able to auto login after clicking the 'remember' box. Any thoughts on the settings I need to change (on Firefox)? Btw I use Zone Alarm too or I probably wouldn't be here....

Birdman said:
Here's something else: since altering my security levels after a trojan alarm (that proved unfounded) I haven't been able to auto login after clicking the 'remember' box. Any thoughts on the settings I need to change (on Firefox)? Btw I use Zone Alarm too or I probably wouldn't be here....

Have you got your Privacy settings in Zone Alarm on Maximum? You'll probably have to reduce the Cookie Contol slider to medium to use site login cookies

It's already on medium tho I could put it in learn mode - on low setting. Would that help?

I pulled this out of the FAQ's

This forum also gives you the option to use a cookie to track your current session, ensuring that you remain logged-on while browsing the site...... If in doubt, we recommend that you select 'yes' to enable the cookie. After you have registered, you may alter your cookie options at any time by changing the settings on this page.

How do I select 'yes' to enable cookies? I can't find anything in User CP to allow this and maybe cookies are disabled. It would explain some of my probs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom