Disappointed with service from Audi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
I'm not really sure what to say. Very dissapointed with the quality of service and product from my Audi dealer.

I have had my (leased) 2005 A4 Cabriolet in for a service at my local Audi dealership. After several warranty issues relating to suspension, steering, clutch and gearbox, headlight and electronic items it's become a bit of a 'friday' car in my mind. However, I have had these issues largely resolved (it now only squeaks everytime the suspension is compressed and only fails to go into gear occasionally...)

Back in the summer when it was in for it's last warranty visit, they managed to ruin the finish of the alloy wheels by using a screwdriver to remove the centre caps - finally resolved by refurbishing one of the wheels...Suspension still noisy (I suppose fixing 2 out of 3 items isn't bad :rolleyes: )

Anyway, service was recently due so I duly booked it in. Upon collection of the car I was informed that it unfortunately hadn't been cleaned as they had been working on it late (I've come to take this with a pinch of salt as it's happened quite a few times). Anyway, I was tired and stressed, have been really busy recently with moving/work etc so I was just hoping to pay up and be done.

The service advisor proceeded to inform me that there would be no charge for the service. I, quite surprised, said that I did not believe this to be the case as I was *sure* that the contract I had didn't include maintenance - but he was adament so it was left at that.

Get a phonecall in the morning to say that he'd made a mistake, and that I was supposed to be paying for the service (as I had originally said). He proceeds to tell me the amount, which is slightly higher than that on the paperwork I'd been given (apparantly BOS leasing get a lower rate) - just over £300 instead of high £200ish. (something like £40-50 difference from memory)

Anyway, that was paid and I'd not really given it any more thought. Although obviously disappointed at the level of service I was just glad that I'd got it out of the way as I've got so much else on.

Driving along yesterday, I could hear a rattling noise from under the bonnet. When I had stopped, I opened the bonnet to find the battery cover had come off. First thoughts are that they've obviously not put it back on properly following the service (I'd been under the bonnet a few days before hand to top up the screen wash). Realise then that every single mounting lug has been snapped off, then look down to see that someone has wrenched the audi logo off from the engine cover (it looks to have been wedged off as there are marks where it came from and there's a few plastic pins that have been snapped from where it mounts)

There is also oil over the top of the engine - sloppiness.

I haven't got time for all this sort of crap tbh - I rung the service manager this morning to make him aware of the problem, and he says he'll order in the new parts and arrange for the car to be cleaned, not really the point though IMO. Still involves me having to drop the car off again (don't think I'd want anyone driving it from now on :crazy: )

Really let down and disappointed - I'd never buy a car from or service with Audi based on this. :mad:

Will

Hi Will,
Sorry to hear about your experience. It is heart breaking to be treated in this way and it just goes to show those fields aren't always green.

I have always been a bit of a dealer man as opposed to a brand man. A nice car with bad dealer is usually a recipe for disaster. Hopefully you will get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck,
John

Please dont talk about audi's... took one in part exchange a few months back, sold it and the engine blew up. Have just got the bill for £3450 for new engine, turbo and lots of other bits...

All this on a 2003 car with 45K on the clock!

My brother has tried 2 different Audi dealers for servicing and has been badly treated by them both.
His wife took the car in once and the service receptionist called her a liar when she said she'd booked a courtesy car! They refused to do anything about it and said it was her problem, not theirs.

glojo said:
Hi Will,
Sorry to hear about your experience. It is heart breaking to be treated in this way and it just goes to show those fields aren't always green.

I have always been a bit of a dealer man as opposed to a brand man. A nice car with bad dealer is usually a recipe for disaster. Hopefully you will get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck,
John

I'd back up what John says here. When I had my (much loved & missed) A6 I was driving 60k/year so saw the inside of the dealer pretty regularly and they were always excellent. Not the world's cheapest but they never made any mistakes and always polite, helpful, punctual etc etc. I've not been treated as well before or since and as a result always have a warm feeling towards Audi.

Sorry to hear you've had problems. It can be incredibley frustrating when this sort of thing happens. It does sound like the response to the damage has been swift and decisive though.

As has been said, it's the dealer that makes the difference, rather than the brand - more specifically the individual. Never heard anything but the highest praise about Lexus though?

People moan about MB service but I've heard mixed things about all our local dealerships in the same sort of category. Changing brands for reliabilty and service can be out of the frying pan into the fire - at the end of the day, many dealerships are part of a bigger multi-brand group, their staff have usually worked in several dealerships, and so it's no surprise that the service and experience is usually pretty similar regardless of brand.

The MB dealer I use has been pretty good by and large - but mainly it's due to one specific Service Advisor. They've got the message now, and the same three guys deal with me - Service Advisor, Senior Tech, and Tech - which is a great move from a relationship management perspective.

They have made a few minor mishaps to be honest, but to be fair to them I probably see them far more than the average customer, and so occasionally a ball will inevitabley be dropped.

It's how it's an issue is resolved though that will influence whether you're a happy camper or an angry beaver. A complaint is in fact an excellent opportunity to shine...

Having had a Lexus, Mercedes and BMW in a row the Lexus customer service is definitely the best! Followed by BMW with Mercedes last. I don't miss my local MB dealer at all.

In the past if i was unhappy with a mechanic i would phone in and give a message to be passed on to the mechanic who worked on my car, ie: Wan*** & bar him from working on it again!:devil:

Keith Garages in Aylesbury is one of the most favoured Audi dealerships according to the Audi Driver awards.

They have a very good recommendation and I have used both the VW and Audi sides of the dealership myself.

If you have outstanding issues, and need a friendly dealership to go to, they are worth considering.

Thankfully they are local to me.

My Audi's were always ultra-reliable - the engines and gearboxes seemed to be bullet-proof but service at best was neutral and at worst somehwat casual or uncaring. A complete contrast to my MB Dealer who sets the standard who sets the standard for excellence.
Absolute worst of all was the Mitsubishi Dealer who, afer the car developed a blown head gasket after about 3000 miles, tried to blame me and refused to do anything.

Well talking about Lexus... I lost about £3k on a IS200 bought at Lexus Bolton...

GrahamC230K said:
Keith Garages in Aylesbury is one of the most favoured Audi dealerships according to the Audi Driver awards.

They have a very good recommendation and I have used both the VW and Audi sides of the dealership myself.

If you have outstanding issues, and need a friendly dealership to go to, they are worth considering.

Thankfully they are local to me.

Jeez, are they still going? I remember going there as a child with my grandmother to pick up her Audi 100 from servicing (early 80's).

Could be handy seeing as I still have family in the area, and am very much considering an Audi. :rock:

I'm not really sure what to say. Very dissapointed with the quality of service and product from my Audi dealer.

I have had my (leased) 2005 A4 Cabriolet in for a service at my local Audi dealership. After several warranty issues relating to suspension, steering, clutch and gearbox, headlight and electronic items it's become a bit of a 'friday' car in my mind. However, I have had these issues largely resolved (it now only squeaks everytime the suspension is compressed and only fails to go into gear occasionally...)

Will

Wow. I have been thinking of leasing an A4 cabrio myself as I really fancy a soft top for the summer. Merc cabrios are out of my range price wise unless I get another w208, and I fancy something newer. Looking at the (depressing) trade in value of my 320, leasing looks like a real possibility, the A4 cabrios can be had for really quite low monthly payments. Plus the fact that it would be a brand new car, so no repair cost worries, only service every 2 years or 22k miles, no residual worries, it was starting to look like a no-brainer. then I read this... :(

Unless you are intending to use the very same dealership as Will used, have read other similar reports about the same dealership, there is nothing here that should put you off.

Are Audis troublesome though? I wouldn't want to be in and out of the dealership every 5 minutes.

Unsure what to do really.
Option 1: Keep the 320, watch it's value disappear to nothing (along with the rear arches) ;)
Option 2: Sell, buy an A4 cabrio for circa £16k on a 52/03 plate. 1.8t, 2.4, 3.0 or TDi?
Option 3: Sell, lease a brand new A4 cabrio for around £400 per month (albeit a fairly basic spec 1.8t for this money), pop the proceeds of the Merc into my savings.

Just thinking out loud here...

Maybe I should start another thread. ;) :eek:

I quite fancied a used S4 cab as a 4-seat replacement for my R129 at some point (significantly cheaper than an equivalent W209 55 or even 500 cab).

I also heard quite a few (anecdotal) horror stories about A4 quality though. I guess as with all cars you can get a good 'un or a bad 'un?!

Aston Green Stealership have done more than enough to put me off from ever buying an Audi...!!!

Are Audis troublesome though? I wouldn't want to be in and out of the dealership every 5 minutes.

Well, the S6 has turned out to be...we've had the car a month, and tonight has been the last straw.

When I collected the car, the engine management light was on. I was due to be in Newark that night, so having raised it with the salesman and explained the situation, they said it would be ok for me to drive the car, so off I went.

Went back a week later to have the light cleared, only to have it pop up after 3 days. I phoned them up and organised a time the following week to go back and have it cleared, along with a full check up to see what was wrong. The day before the appointment, the drivers seat height switch stops working. It will go up but not down, leaving the seat in my mum's driving position. At least I can at least work around this, she would be incapable of driving the car from my seating position.

Last week the car went back, the light is cleared, the seat problem traced to a failed seat motor, and a new one is currently being ordered from Recaro.

Tonight, the climate control has decided that it is in charge, and is randomly changing fan speeds and switching on economy mode, it will not allow you to switch it off again unless you turn the ignition off and back on again, at which point it works if you do it straight away. I'd noticed over the previous weeks that the fan setting was not always the same as it was when the car was previously used; sometimes the fans were completely shut off. I guess it has now upped the ante and has decided to go its own way.

Frankly this is not what I would expect from an Audi, we simply don't have the time to keep taking it back to be sorted, and we don't need the stress and doubt that the unreliability is causing.

I'll be phoning the sales dept in the morning, and asking for a refund. It's had to go back to the workshops practically every week since we collected it, and we still haven't been given proof of the cambelt change (so that's another workshop visit if it doesn't turn up).

Well, the S6 has turned out to be...

Sounds like a Merc in disguise... ;)

Maybe I should hang on to my CLK, it's been as good as gold for a week now. :D

*touches wood*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom