Disappointing service at MB Croydon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is what Alfie (one of our forum sponsors) wrote back in 2015:

My understanding of this is that when you get the maps updated at the maindealer, they also do the COMAND firmware. So the whole process could easily take a very long time.

So no different to BMW then or Range Rover. Both of these update the entire system when you update the Maps/Firmware = 6 minutes.

That includes any device on the MOST Loop. It looks for it, shakes hands with it, interrogates it, then updates (or not) it. All in 6 minutes.

It sounds like the difference is that MB requires an Internet connection to Germany. Not that that should take 5 hours though, but there definitely seems to be a difference.

I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff, but I'm clueless!

It sounds like the difference is that MB requires an Internet connection to Germany. Not that that should take 5 hours though, but there definitely seems to be a difference.

I wish I knew more about this kind of stuff, but I'm clueless!

Dave. We can flash systems in outer space (this is not a joke) in seconds. We download mahoosive firmware and log files from Japan in minutes. So unless there is some strange internet connection between Mercedes UK and Germany that only impacts MBUK, I would say that they are making this up. Probably it simply does not fit well with their business model.

In theory. If there is a connection issue? Then they need only download it once to master or get MB to post them a single master copy.

"Can you leave the car with us for five minutes please Sir?" "That will be £200 thank you" Or...... We will need the car for the day, but will only charge you £200

That does seem to be the most logical explanation, but the only thing that has me questioning it, is that they don't want to do it. They don't want to do it because it takes ages and costs them as their tech/ramp/bay is tied up and not working on something else. If they could do it in minutes, I'm sure they would have no issue doing it when requested and keep their customers happy in the process.

The only thing I can think is that for wherever reason, MBUK can't do it this quick, as if they could, surely they would? I mean they're getting no money out of me. Maybe MB Germany has put certain hurdles in place that MBUK can't bypass? Possibly for financial gain when the cars are out of warranty, and the maps are no longer free, but that seems like a very contrived way of earning a respectively small amount of money. :dk:

Had 1st B service last month, asked them to update Command sat nav, was told they didn't have the update yet, car is two yrs old, and so far not been updated under the warranty , was told if I bring it in for the free winter checks, they could, if they have it, do it then, I told him between now and then, we will have made two more trips to southern Spain, and it hadn't yet been updated from new, he looked a bit embarrassed, but that was it. My screen is currently showing, Tom Tom 2014/2015 (V11.0) Europe, wondering if any on here do have a newer version? This was Lookers MB, they sent an e/mail asking what I thought of their service, they probably weren't overjoyed with my reply.

Had 1st B service last month, asked them to update Command sat nav, was told they didn't have the update yet, car is two yrs old, and so far not been updated under the warranty , was told if I bring it in for the free winter checks, they could, if they have it, do it then, I told him between now and then, we will have made two more trips to southern Spain, and it hadn't yet been updated from new, he looked a bit embarrassed, but that was it. My screen is currently showing, Tom Tom 2014/2015 (V11.0) Europe, wondering if any on here do have a newer version? This was Lookers MB, they sent an e/mail asking what I thought of their service, they probably weren't overjoyed with my reply.

What version of COMAND do you have Peter?

Maybe there is a complaint/ comment email address at MB Headquarters, if the problem is not here then send the comment to the Head Guy. This kind of works for other companies. Or need to put out to a wider internet community as was case of bad publicity for the likes of airlines and such. If the company is selling the "the best" motto then they should be held to that and any short fallings made public. Once a company starts believing it's own BS then the customer is forgotten. The franchises here really can only do what they are told.

Dave. We can flash systems in outer space (this is not a joke) in seconds. We download mahoosive firmware and log files from Japan in minutes. So unless there is some strange internet connection between Mercedes UK and Germany that only impacts MBUK, I would say that they are making this up. Probably it simply does not fit well with their business model.

In theory. If there is a connection issue? Then they need only download it once to master or get MB to post them a single master copy.

"Can you leave the car with us for five minutes please Sir?" "That will be £200 thank you" Or...... We will need the car for the day, but will only charge you £200

Your cynical view may be correct, I don't know. But how about another view. No matter how high speed the link between the dealer and the central system in Germany, the whole system speed is dictated by the slowest part. Now if there's just one central point that's holding all the information (perhaps so that MB have full control of it to ensure its integrity), then the access speed will be a factor of the handling capacity of the central equipment and the number of dealers around the world trying to connect to it at the same time. This could be many hundreds. As many of us have found, lots of dealers appear reluctant to update COMAND without a reminder, surely they wouldn't be so reluctant if they could do the job quickly and make a lot of money from it.

Your cynical view may be correct, I don't know. But how about another view. No matter how high speed the link between the dealer and the central system in Germany, the whole system speed is dictated by the slowest part. Now if there's just one central point that's holding all the information (perhaps so that MB have full control of it to ensure its integrity), then the access speed will be a factor of the handling capacity of the central equipment and the number of dealers around the world trying to connect to it at the same time. This could be many hundreds. As many of us have found, lots of dealers appear reluctant to update COMAND without a reminder, surely they wouldn't be so reluctant if they could do the job quickly and make a lot of money from it.

That could well be correct? I would say that they should "fix" it then. It is 2017. The Internet of Things (IOT) is all around us. To have MB sat as an ancient slow moving island in a sea of fast moving technology does not make sense?

My point is simply this? BMW can do it in 6 minutes, or they allow you to do it yourself, in six minutes. TomTom, Garmin, Apple, Google are all similar. So why is MB FIVE HOURS?

Eventually they will give in to pressure and demand and go with the flow, These systems will not be MB but native TomTom or XX, whoever produces the best in class. Why stick with a system that is entirely dependent on the car/manufacturer, when you can buy a 'better' cheaper, easier system, off the shelf?

I mean, they moved away from Steam Cars did they not?

Apologies if this is seen as a hijack, but how can I find out what versions of COMAND / mapping do I have?

The car is an early 205 with COMAND and I suspect that the maps have never been updated, but will be coming out of warranty soon after the next service, so need an update before then.

Thanks for any help.

Ernie

You have to go into the nav and then I think it's settings (maybe wrong) and then at the bottom is says system information, or words to that effect.

If no one has corrected me in an hour or so, I'll pop out to the car and take some pics :thumb:

What version of COMAND do you have Peter?

All I can say is, "Tom Tom 14/15 ( V11.0) Europe," my wife says this is what the screen shows, so I imagine this is our version, I may well know even less than yourself about this sort of thing, hence Mrs 103 is the navigator. Hope this helps, perhaps this is the latest version. :dk:

Just re-read your question. Command, what version of Command? Don't know, the disc says E class coupe and Cabriolet. How will I know? Sorry to be such a Prat. :doh:

Yes, you need to know what version of COMAND you have. I can't tell you I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will be able to let you know :)

Once you know what COMAND you have, I'll be able to point you in the right direction of what maps are the latest :thumb:

The onboard diagnostics can remotely send the dealer all the parts needed for your service depending how you have driven the car so, they are ready even before you arrive. The map updates is not one of them it seems.

My point is simply this? BMW can do it in 6 minutes, or they allow you to do it yourself, in six minutes. TomTom, Garmin, Apple, Google are all similar. So why is MB FIVE HOURS?

The latest TomTom's have built in WiFi & do not need connected to a PC anymore. In fact, I can do minor updates on mine in less than a minute with the car parked on the driveway, new map versions take a bit longer though.

Russ

Just throwing this out there....having skim read this thread...

I work for another car brand that also has free mapping updates that we carry out upon customers request, they also take several hours to do.

The car has to have the engine running so the unit can take the update, no exceptions.

Problems we encounter:

You used my fuel where you had it idling for half a day, I want free fuel!

I have a black box fitted by my insurance company, since you had the car idling for half a day my online points score for being a good driver has gone down as the insurance company see this as bad. I want compensation!

I dont like the new functionality of the mapping updates, please put it back to how it was before. (Some mapping updates cannot be completed without firmware updates).

The list goes on....

As well as not being paid for the tech time to do it all, because the manufacturer does not pay you to do it and the customer certainly wont pay. With regards to tech time, in reality, it's about half an hour. Most of it is press this button and walk away, after you download the right update for the unit onto a PC, un-zip it, extract it to a USB, go to the car and set it in motion. Oh and the licence key issues to make it free for the dealer to download. Maybe 3/4 hour per car.

When you factor all that in, lost revenue from tech not doing 'paid' work, lost part sales for that time, lost oil sales for that time, you are pushing on for £125 in lost sales. Note this is lost sales and not lost profit.

Some customers that do not buy their cars from us and go to independent garages for the servicing, come to us and want the map updates for free. Our time, our cost and not a penny in return.

It's not all 'bad dealer' there are problems we face that are unreasonable from customers as well.

Thanks for the insight.

Isolated, perhpas, but unfortunately this comes on the backdrop of long history of poor customer service from (many) MB main dealers over many years.

And some people here who also own other brands commented on the difference between MB and Audi, Lexus, etc.

More to the point, I noticed that comandonline used a trickle charger when updating the maps on my old W203 in order to not have the engine idling. And also on newer cars they can download the maps to a PC and install them via USB flash drive which is much faster. There seem to be some reluctance among MB dealers to deal with the map updates, possibly as you pointed out the compensation from the manufacturer isn't enough, or it occupies a bay, or it requires a more senior member of staff, or all of the above - I don't know.

The latest TomTom's have built in WiFi & do not need connected to a PC anymore. In fact, I can do minor updates on mine in less than a minute with the car parked on the driveway, new map versions take a bit longer though.

Russ

I know it isn`t exactly the point .....but this is the reason if i use a SatNav i prefer the mobile type which can even be set to Pedestrian use.

My top of the range Garmin with the touchscreen has map update`s for life, no extra charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom