Disappointment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Germgh0st

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW G20 M340i
So...it seems that whilst Mercedes have a list of cars you can order, and a list of optional extras that you can select and add to your order and then they will take your order and a healthy deposit there's no actual guarantee they will be able to fulfill your order....

I ordered my C43 saloon in February. I'm still waiting for a build date, and apparently there's some sort of 'restriction' on C43 saloons at the factory which means they can't build a car with the spec I've chosen. Worse, nobody can tell me what it is about the spec that is holding it up.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. It's kinda putting me off the marque...why allow someone to order a car that you can't build?

I ordered a VW some years back that never got allocated a build slot. After a couple of months of pushing they found it was because it been ordered with a sunroof. The factory system wouldn't accept this because the car was a 4Motion version, and the very slight reduction in body rigidity was only permitted with FWD. Deleted the sunroof from the order and all was fine - of course the sales system should never have allowed this combination in the first place. So unfortunately it's not just MB.

Reactions: 219
I can well imagine your upset by all this,like you I am amazed that MB can allow that to happen,ok there are supply problems every large company has them,but I would have thought they could tell you in detail whats happening,this joins a long list on here of people left hanging about new car deliveries.

It's very unfortunate, but this kind of thing does happen from time to time with all manufacturers. All it takes is for one part to be unavailable from a supplier, or a minor change of spec and it throws the whole system out.

Your sales exec should be able to find out why though, even if they don't know themselves. They obviously know that there is a restriction, and the admin staff who order the cars will know what that restriction is. The trouble is that these sorts of thing are not usually communicated down very well...

Good luck, and I hope you get to the bottom of it!!

You could trying asking JBD on this thread: he is a Merc dealer who is good at troubleshooting and has insight into what’s going on at the factory. He might be able to advise.
What do you want to know?

You could trying asking JBD on this thread: he is a Merc dealer who is good at troubleshooting and has insight into what’s going on at the factory. He might be able to advise.
What do you want to know?
If JBD sees this he’ll likely know. An awful lot of delays have been caused by the new WLTP testing as the exact spec has to be tested hence the delay could be because you spec’d an option that hasn't been included in a test car. This was one of the reasons Merc changed the options to a bias to packs rather than numerous individual options. May be wrong, but if JBD doesn't come back I would ask the dealer what the WLTP results are for your spec'd car.

My new one has now been delayed due partially to these emission tests, partially due to it now being an MY2020 spec so a few different bits apparently.

It's frustrating, as the OP states, but there's not a great deal we can do about it in reality. My hurt has been compounded by the fact that I have a buyer for my current car so will be Mercedes-less for a couple of months as I promised him that he could have it at the end on July. This promise was made as I was told I would be getting a July build date but, as mentioned above, that's now all gone pear shaped.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us. :)

I'm in the same boat, a January order for a c63s wagon. No build slot as yet due in part to a backlog and no engine availability before August.

Wow.
Remind me not to order a new car any time soon then.

Ordered car in feb and still doesn’t have a build date?!

Mate, I’d be pi$$ed

I've cancelled the order and got my deposit back.

Found a demo car in Chesterfield with almost identical spec that will be available in September and I'm going to put a deposit on it. Means I'm going to get clobbered for 9 months of the first 12 months road tax but at least I know I'll get a car!

Don’t understand your comment about road tax ?

The vehicle must currently be registered to the garage and taxed by them ; VED does not transfer at a change of ownership , so you will have to tax the car for 12 months from point of purchase .

What am I missing ?

Don’t understand your comment about road tax ?

The vehicle must currently be registered to the garage and taxed by them ; VED does not transfer at a change of ownership , so you will have to tax the car for 12 months from point of purchase .

What am I missing ?

Not sure.
Anything to do with new-car taxation?

Means I'm going to get clobbered for 9 months of the first 12 months road tax
That isn’t the case. The first year surcharge payment has already been made when the car was first taxed, so you will only have to pay the regular rate of VED going forward, i.e. £145 + £320 because it had a list price over £40k.

^^What Phil said up there. ^^

First years premium is only due on initial payment. This will already have been paid by the supplying dealer so all you have to pay is the normal £465. I only know as I had the same issue on my current car.

My new one has now been delayed due partially to these emission tests, partially due to it now being an MY2020 spec so a few different bits apparently.

It's frustrating, as the OP states, but there's not a great deal we can do about it in reality. My hurt has been compounded by the fact that I have a buyer for my current car so will be Mercedes-less for a couple of months as I promised him that he could have it at the end on July. This promise was made as I was told I would be getting a July build date but, as mentioned above, that's now all gone pear shaped.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us. :)
Hopefully worth the wait though:)

That looks like a very nice car, lovely colour;)

video didnt work on mine , I have however seen the new 43 and my head turns every time , must be the 4, pea shooter exhausts. looks better than pre facelift.

by demo car, will it be used for demos till Sept? only reason I ask is I have siphoned two demo cars from dealers before they even made it to a particular dealership to be a demo car :) thanks MB guildford :)

video didnt work on mine , I have however seen the new 43 and my head turns every time , must be the 4, pea shooter exhausts. looks better than pre facelift.

by demo car, will it be used for demos till Sept? only reason I ask is I have siphoned two demo cars from dealers before they even made it to a particular dealership to be a demo car :) thanks MB guildford :)

It will be used as a demo until September. They estimate the mileage will be about 600 when I collect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom