Disaster in the household.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Dolly Dyson has died after 4 years of hard work. I'm put off by the price of new ones.

I'm contemplating a Henry. The reviews seem almost 'godlike' and I am just a bit concerned that a lot of them may be from the manufacturer.

Any one have any experience of these - how do they perform on carpet?

Opens to the wisdom and knowledge of the great collective @ MBclub.co.uk :thumb:

I have both, a Henry at work a new ball dyson at home.

The Dyson sucks up far more and doesn't need bags.

A friend killed his Dyson after hoovering plaster dust. Peeved off he bought a Henry and continued to hoover anything and everything during his house DIY sagas. It's still going strong after ~5 years of abuse. It can also be bagless, so he tells me.

HTH

Henrys are good but i still think for a normal house, dysons are the best... however go for the standard one, im not impressed by the new ball one... it keeps falling to bits wheres our standard DC07 has lasted for over 8 years now.

wemorgan - I did the same to one of our dysons... thought id hoover the garage!! Luckily i just blocked the filters and so a change of those and a good wipe down and all was well.

Funnily enough, I have never known anyone to replace a Dyson with a Dyson, they usually replace it with a Henry. We've had our Henry just over 10 years now...it gets dog's abuse and is still going strong. BTW we have not used a bag in it for maybe 8 years. I'm a big fan of them.

And house is usually having some project or another performed on it so plaster dust if the norm. And the garage before it was carpeted was always Henryed..

Last edited:
Ours died early last year. They are indeed expensive to replace and it was out of warranty. I rang dyson they offer a fixed price repair no matter what needs to be replaced even the main motor. It was about £65, the guy came out replaced a few parts and it was up and running like new. Still going strong today after 6yrs. Cheaper than replacing the unit.

To arrange a repair call: Dyson Ltd UK Helpline (7am - 10pm) 7 days a week: 0800 2980298 or for Eire call 01 475 7109

Last edited:
Dysons do appear to be quite fragile?

I have noticed that the quality of the plastic mouldings has deteriorated through the later models. Mine is quite old now, ~10 years, and the plastics look well made. But on later ones you can see visible injection, venting and flow lines. Definitely not automotive quality.

They are certainly not made for commercial use, they will fall to bits if used without care..

We use ours every day without fail..

KEEP THE RECEIPT as the after care is great..
Who can argue with a 5 year warranty and they come to your house to sort it out... Whenever we have had an issue, they have replaced all the seals etc too ensuring no problems.

If you dont keep the receipt its the £65 fee... which is not bad for what they do.

FWIW I got one of these for Christmas (I love aging!) and it's really very useful, around the house and in the cars - makes a dustbuster look like a mouse breathing in through a straw.

Dyson DC16 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

41NZ2RY294L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ps. if all our girlfriends/partners/wives could read this thread I'm sure they'd be smiling. All these men which such strong views on hovering, what next!? :)

Funnily enough, I have never known anyone to replace a Dyson with a Dyson, they usually replace it with a Henry...

We replaced our Dyson three times with other Dysons before seeing the light and buying a Henry. After all a cheap cleaner with a silly face painted on can't be any good, right?

Mmmm....The Henry is Superb :bannana:

Funnily enough, I have never known anyone to replace a Dyson with a Dyson
We did our first one (original DC04 upright - purchased via a neighbour back whan Dysonstaff were allowed to buy as many as they liked for half price). Second DC07 didn't last more than 3-4 years though, replaced with a cheap panasonic which lasted about 5 years, just (well on Valentines day :devil:) bought a Miele S7260. £290 from John Lewis + £30 for a 10 parts and labour warranty - so no hover expenditure for 10 years now. :D

I'm with Jay. Henry's great for the garage but it doesn't have a beater-bar on the carpet attachment (or rotating brushes) so all it can do is sook. Get a DC07 for carpets, and the warranty is fantastic.

Dont all Dysons have a 5 year warrenty.... if its only 4 years old give em a call

The pity is that the warranty needs to be so good. Nobody gets a warranty with a Henry...no need.

We got through umpteen vaccuum cleaners at work, any kind of variety you can name. That was, until, we bought 2 Henrys and they have done the job for a good 4/5 years now.

When I needed a new vaccuum for home, it was a no-brainer to buy a Henry. It'll never get a 10th of the use that the ones at work get..

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom