Disaster! Smashed underside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Somehow, jacking on the front centre point, my car has come off the jack, which has smashed through the underside tray and damaged something, causing a fluid leak!

Needless to say, feeling sick as the proverbial tropical bird and anxiety level has soared through the roof!
20201201_141136.jpg20201201_141119.jpg

Atf line, Oil cooler line, Coolant pipe

What car is it?

Sorry to hear.
Don't get too stressed, you are ok which is main thing.

Easy to get stressed out in such situations, all that matters is how you resolve it now so take some time.
After shedding a few drops from the eyes, I phoned my local indy. Got the number for recovery to him, at a good price, so will then have to wait and hear the physical, and financial, damage.
Considering only last year, this sort of thing would have had me doing something likely to lead to hospital, the fact that I've not resorted to that is something in itself.

After shedding a few drops from the eyes, I phoned my local indy. Got the number for recovery to him, at a good price, so will then have to wait and hear the physical, and financial, damage.
Considering only last year, this sort of thing would have had me doing something likely to lead to hospital, the fact that I've not resorted to that is something in itself.
From the location of the hole in the undertray the only pipe in that area that your jack would have hit is the one running vertically upwards in your first picture. Rubber coolant pipe? Hopefully not too pricey.

From the location of the hole in the undertray the only pipe in that area that your jack would have hit is the one running vertically upwards in your first picture. Rubber coolant pipe? Hopefully not too pricey.
It bent one pipe right up to to bottom pulley of the belt system.

if its a steel pipe you could dry it up and apply some epoxy Chemical metal/Quick Steel, ive done this before to other bikes and cars, You could then drive it the garage.

Or even cut it and Join it with some H/duty Rubber fuel line or similar.

It bent one pipe right up to to bottom pulley of the belt system.
Hopefully you will just have to replace said pipe. The aux belt system and especially the pulleys themselves hopefully were not damaged. On a positive note may be an opportunity to get the garage to change the aux belt while they are in there anyway for peace if mind. Fingers crossed all is fixed easily.

Hopefully you will just have to replace said pipe. The aux belt system and especially the pulleys themselves hopefully were not damaged. On a positive note may be an opportunity to get the garage to change the aux belt while they are in there anyway for peace if mind. Fingers crossed all is fixed easily.
Had the belt done only a couple of years ago.

Somehow, jacking on the front centre point, my car has come off the jack, which has smashed through the underside tray and damaged something, causing a fluid leak!

Needless to say, feeling sick as the proverbial tropical bird and anxiety level has soared through the roof!
View attachment 105499View attachment 105501
Good to hear that u are ok. Cost may be lesser.

Okay, a few hours later, I'm self-medicating (as I have learnt it's called). Still feeling totally gutted, as I love my car.

Bad luck that is. Like has been said least you're not been hurt physically. It's hard to scope what's been broken from the pics. I made myself up some Ramps, that i made up of scaffold boards. They really do make things much easier when want to raise either end of the car up. Hopefully not to costly to repair.

Bad luck that is. Like has been said least you're not been hurt physically. It's hard to scope what's been broken from the pics. I made myself up some Ramps, that i made up of scaffold boards. They really do make things much easier when want to raise either end of the car up. Hopefully not to costly to repair.
Does make me think ramps might be a good idea. Just scared of driving over the top!

Does make me think ramps might be a good idea. Just scared of driving over the top!
You can assemble them making a buffer type stopper on the top runner. Or like I do put a marker down to the middle of the top runner.

You can assemble them making a buffer type stopper on the top runner. Or like I do put a marker down to the middle of the top runner.
Knowing my luck, I'll still drive over!

Commiserations Chris. At least you weren't under the car at the time!
Ideally, chocks behind the rear wheels, a trolley jack to lift the front and axle stands carefully slid under the front suspension should safely raise the car ready to work on. Lifting it one side at a time is far safer than balancing the whole front end on a single jack as you have found out.
Hope the fix isn't too hard on the wallet:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom