Disaster !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grahamcol

Car
2007 CLK 220 and 2001 SLK230
Had the ladder up at my porch on Sunday doing some DIY on the roof. I happened to be round the back of my house getting some bits & pieces when I heard a teriffic bang. Came round to the front to see the ladder had crashed onto my lovely v6 W202, causing a very large and ugly dent on the top of the nsf wing. Was gutted ! Now I have to have a new wing but I hate body shops and have never, ever had a really good job done before so you can imagine I'm not looking forward to this, especially as I'm a very fussy so and so about fit, finish, no overspray in funny places etc. I'm rather hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a really good body shop in the West Midlands. I'm not bothered about how long they take to fix it but I do want it right and obviously cost is a consideration, however I don't want a pattern wing but a proper MB part. Therefore, I would appreciate other members' advice as follows:-
1) Can you recommend a first class body shop in the West Midlands.
2) Does anyone have any idea how much this is likely to cost ?

Many thanks.

How big is the dent,is the wing rustfree?PS Sorry to hear about it

How big is the dent,is the wing rustfree?

The dent's about fist size. The wing is totally rust free. Trouble is I don't think one of the dent guys could do it as the metal's stretched a bit and the paint is definately scored right down to the undercoat meaning it will definately need painting. To be honest, I'd rather have the wing repaired if possible but I can't see this happening, unless maybe it can be filled?

The dent's about fist size. The wing is totally rust free. Trouble is I don't think one of the dent guys could do it as the metal's stretched a bit and the paint is definately scored right down to the undercoat meaning it will definately need painting. To be honest, I'd rather have the wing repaired if possible but I can't see this happening, unless maybe it can be filled?

Get the wing repaired imho :thumb:

Someone recommended verbally a compay called Brico in Aldridge, Near Walsall, West Midlands. Anyone any experience of these please ?

Guess nobody from this forum has a recommendation then ??? I'm just loathe to entrust my pride & joy to the mercy of just anybody who may / may not do a good job.

Get in touch with your local MB Dealer and ask them who they use.

UPDATE.
Firstly thanks to stevieb for your suggestion and I approached these people who quoted around £660 inc vat to replace the wing. However, in the end, I've decided to take it to Brico in Aldridge (Near to where I live in Walsall) who have a very good reputation. The proprietor, a guy called Roger, says the wing can be repaired without too much difficulty at a cost of around £230 inc vat. He's been in business for many years and is recommended by one of the local MB Indy guys. I'm assured by Roger that I will be happy with the result so we'll see after the car goes in on 5th July. Thanks again to those who responded to my original post.

£660, they are having a laugh, even with a new wing! £230 sounds about the right price.

Sorry I wasnt able to help but definitely let us know how things go. You never know when you are going to need reliable repairs, and your not too far from me :D. Piccys before and after would be useful :thumb:.

Thanks Fizzer. Sorry but I'm not good with pics but it's quite a nasty dent and has creased the metal too so it's very obvious. Car's going in on 5th July for 3/4 days so I'll post back once I've got it back. I've seen some of their other work in the meantime and it's superb and I'm hoping mine will be too.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune .

Just a thought - because of what happened , maybe you can claim against your house insurance for this one as it was a 'household' item that caused the damage ?

If you went via your car insurer , they might in turn be able to recover from house insurers thus making it a 'no fault' claim and preserving your NCD . Remember , legally in insurance terms , you cannot be negligent towards yourself , so they cannot refute claim on these grounds .

Worth considering as claim may well be more than policy excess . You could phone your motor insurer , explain circumstances and ask them to advise whether worth claiming or just paying it yourself .

For £230 I'd just take it on the chin. Too complicated and the excesses will probably mean the saving is negligable.

Bit of a shame about the damage, but these things happen. At least it was only a wing, not the roof or bonnet etc :)

Maybe get the bodyshop guy to machine polish the rest of the car whilst it's in. Should make the repair less noticable and at least you'll benefit from this incident as the car will look gleaming :cool:

If going for the lower quote , I'd agree .

The £650 also mentioned would be a different matter , perhaps .

If going for the lower quote , I'd agree .

The £650 also mentioned would be a different matter , perhaps .

Yes, It's the lower quote I've opted for. For £230 I'm taking it on the chin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom