Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuannyH

Car
C class premium plus
The disc brakes on my c class have gone a horrible orange rusty colour. What’s the best stuff to use to remove safely as to not damage anything?

Is this the mating surface with the pads? If so then drive the car normally and it will clean itself.

If the car was left to stand for a very long period, the rust might cause deep pitting, and in this case new discs and pads will be needed. But drive the car first and see what the discs look like afterwards - if the mating surfaces are smooth and shiny with no signs of pitting, then you're fine.

If you are talking about rusty callipers, then they can be cleaned and repainted.

Is this the mating surface with the pads? If so then drive the car normally and it will clean itself.

If the car was left to stand for a very long period, the rust might cause deep pitting, and in this case new discs and pads will be needed. But drive the car first and see what the discs look like afterwards - if the mating surfaces are smooth and shiny with no signs of pitting, then you're fine.

If you are talking about rusty callipers, then they can be cleaned and repainted.
I used a rust preventer then took the car out as you suggested. You were right, the discs seem to be silver in colour now. Although it doesn’t seem to take that long before they discolour again. Many thanks!!

Duraglit or autosol before bed will keep them shiny.

I used a rust preventer then took the car out as you suggested. You were right, the discs seem to be silver in colour now. Although it doesn’t seem to take that long before they discolour again. Many thanks!!
The discs are usually made of cast iron so they will discolour overnight in some cases depending on humidity /temperature. It's perfectly normal for this to happen.

I used a rust preventer then took the car out as you suggested.

Is this a wind up ?

Don't put rust preventer, Duraglit, Autosol or anything else on your disc braking surfaces or you will ruin the pads. In fact don't even put brake cleaner on unless you really need to decontaminate them.

As said , depending on the material some brake discs can discolour overnight and unless stood for a very long time in adverse conditions the surface 'rust' will be light and gone after a few brake applications.

A photo would help.

Bilt hammer Atom mac will stop surface rust. Spray on after washing the car, it will prevent surface rust, or take the car for a run round the block, braking a few times.

The disc brakes on my c class have gone a horrible orange rusty colour. What’s the best stuff to use to remove safely as to not damage anything?

Slight surface rust is normal on steel discs.
Should come off with Normal driving.
Do not add anything which may harm your pads in my opinion.

the mating surface will usually discolour after washing or wet weather if left for a few days. A sort drive will make them bright again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom