Discount on Mercedes after purchasing the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Isn't this just a hindsight thread?

Some you win some you lose.
Part of lifes games.

If only.....

The distance selling rules do not apply when financial services are involved.

That's meant for things like pensions and investments etc.

If you buy a car on finance there's two things going on - you can withdraw from the finance for 14 days (a common thing to do to take advantage of deposit contributions) and, if it was completely a distance sale, you can withdraw from the car purchase too.

Some firms will reprice items if they drop in price. I did at Costco last year when a TV dropped by £100.

I dont think you can when the car has been delivered and the finance is still active.

Folks,
After going back and forth, the dealer offered 3 Year service (worth GBP 1,500) plan. Initially there was hard pushback from the dealer : 1) 14 days is applicable only on used car 2) Its not distance sale etc etc. After not getting anywhere with the dealer, I reached out to the corporate complaint department. They reached out to the dealer on my behalf. Not sure what helped, but the dealer offered 2 years service plan eventually. I asked for 4 year. Finally, we settled on 3 years. My main learnings from this adventure:
1) As pointed out by MrGreedy, Distance Sale is applicable only when its truly digital. i.e. one hasn't visited the store at all. So one has to be mindful of this pitfall.
2) Dealers are hard negotiators. So one has to be persistent with them.
3) Everything takes lot of time. So if your time is worth few KGs of gold then don't think about it.
4) Things go your way if you are on the right side of the rule (however convoluted it may be) :)

Folks,
After going back and forth, the dealer offered 3 Year service (worth GBP 1,500) plan. Initially there was hard pushback from the dealer : 1) 14 days is applicable only on used car 2) Its not distance sale etc etc. After not getting anywhere with the dealer, I reached out to the corporate complaint department. They reached out to the dealer on my behalf. Not sure what helped, but the dealer offered 2 years service plan eventually. I asked for 4 year. Finally, we settled on 3 years. My main learnings from this adventure:
1) As pointed out by MrGreedy, Distance Sale is applicable only when its truly digital. i.e. one hasn't visited the store at all. So one has to be mindful of this pitfall.
2) Dealers are hard negotiators. So one has to be persistent with them.
3) Everything takes lot of time. So if your time is worth few KGs of gold then don't think about it.
4) Things go your way if you are on the right side of the rule (however convoluted it may be) :)
Glad you got it sorted - just shows persistence can work!

However:

thumb_is-it-acceptable-for-me-to-use-the-term-reach-28190061.png

That’s an excellent result as they didn’t really owe you anything. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom