Discovered something new...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheFoX

Car
CLS 350 CDI Sport
It doesn't matter how well you think you know your Merc, or how many times you've read the manual (as if any of us really read from cover to cover), something new pops up to surprise us.

Well today, I popped in to Van Hague looking for some boulders to border my front lawn (my neighbour thinks my lawn is a turning point for her visitors and encourages them to use our grass to back round), when I discovered a railing system that was reasonable.

After doing some rough calculations, I bought fourteen panels and 15 posts and took them home in the B Class. A short time later I realised I needed another couple of panels, so rather than take the B Class back to Van Hague I took the CLS.

Now the CLS has split folding rear seats, which I have never used, so this is the first time dropping them down. To my surprise, as soon as you pull the lever to release each side, it automatically moves the rake of the front seat forward so as to not to allow the rear seat headrest to foul the back of the front seat.

How clever is that?

My CLS never fails to impress me. You often hear tales of woe, such as six months to top up the windscreen wash, or the airmatic suspension that keeps hissing at you, but isn't it nice when you read something positive about a Merc?

What has your Merc done to impress you? It could be anything from some gadget that has made your life easier, to finding the love of your life after she became enamoured by your car.

I discovered how well the crumple zones work in my SL getting sploshed in the rear by a dustbin wagon doing 60

Well so far mine has wafted me through Germany and into Gothenburg without a murmur or any sort of backache etc averaging over 50mpg even with 130mph +, we're on the way to the Atlantic road btw :D

I didn't realise the shopping bag hooks were shopping bag hooks till I unusually went shopping with the Mb :eek:

Discovering 2 years into ownership that both front seats have pneumatic lumbar adjustment. I was vacuuming out the interior and noticed the little disc adjuster at the bottom on the outside of the seat, wondered what it was so sat in the seat and tried it out. Lo and behold, it seems I have lumber adjustment that I wasn't told of. :D

Just found out something else my CLS does.

Had to take a trip to the big city this weekend, and discovered the HOLD feature that keeps the brakes on after you release the foot brake.

Where I live, you would rarely need this function. After all, traffic lights are few and far between, and major congestion is being held up by a tractor doing just 17 mph.

Where I live, you would rarely need this function. After all, traffic lights are few and far between, and major congestion is being held up by a tractor doing just 17 mph for fifteen miles and not letting any of the irate tailback past

FTFY. My in-laws live in the fens, I may have been scarred by one or two overly long journeys to see them :wallbash:

CLS again , i found out that if you move the seat forward the headrest lowers automatically moving the seat back does the opposite - surprisingly.

Kenny.

I discovered that if the rear headrests are down they will go up individually if a rear seat belt is buckled up. Very neat, as our American cousins would say.

Now the CLS has split folding rear seats, which I have never used, so this is the first time dropping them down. To my surprise, as soon as you pull the lever to release each side, it automatically moves the rake of the front seat forward so as to not to allow the rear seat headrest to foul the back of the front seat.

How clever is that?

It's because you have memory seats, it doesn't do it otherwise.

Brilliant feature though, I remember Developer showing me the same function on his S211 a few year ago.

I recently found my car has ambience lighting, can't notice it in daylight so only turn it on when I'm driving at night, looks really cool in the dark

The sunroof closes automatically as you approach a tunnel and opens when you exit. I think you may need Comand for this as it uses the satnav.

The sunroof closes automatically as you approach a tunnel and opens when you exit. I think you may need Comand for this as it uses the satnav.

I discovered the automatic closing of the sunroof when it rains DOESN'T apply if the roof is just tilited.

It poured with rain one night, but I was extremely lucky that the wind was blowing a certain way, not a drip inside.

I discovered the roof closes from full open to tilt when it's in the garage overnight.....

OK. In my trusty old SAAB 93, you could open the sunroof standing outside the car using the key fob. However, you couldn't close it. You had to sit in the car, switch in the engine and do it that way.

So I assumed it was the same with the Merc all last summer.

I pressed the lock button on the key fob, and lo and behold the roof closed and the car locked up.

A Eureka moment for my childish mind!

Last edited:
Apart from the sun roof, will this happen to my CLS 250Cdi 2013 or is it just the new ones??
My jaguar Windows would come down with the fob held on but not up for safety reasons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom