Discovered the Holy Grail!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
Back in April, I butted into a thread by relating a tale of woe experienced in France last year. I soon realised the topic was one which dare not speak its name and a veil of secrecy descended once more.

Last Friday, I paid my ol’ Pappy (94) a visit for a chat and to cut his grass – I’m a good boy – and later, leaving with a merry cheerio, zapped the car.

Nothing – not a dickie!

Better to happen here than anywhere else, especially as I only have AA Roadside so they would not have come out to me at home.

I seethed for half an hour waiting for the Patrol and it did not escape me that I had covered less than 3k miles since the journey on a French flatbed last September.

Top service from AA chap who said he could probably effect a temporary repair but we reckoned it would be better to tow me to Western Mercedes to get it fixed properly.

He assured me the car can be safely towed up to 30 miles at 30 mph so, pausing only to place a paper bag on my head, we proceeded through the streets of Edinburgh the four miles to Stenhouse whilst bystanders and drivers of BMWs and Peruda Nippas pointed and hooted with derision! :eek:

Being Friday evening at five o’clock, the car would not be attended to until Monday so Western whistled up a taxi. I went back to the Old Man’s and commandeered his 16 year old SAAB 900S (136bhp, power steering, leccy windows and… err…that’s it - and, yes, he does still drive :eek: )

What a hoot! The car’s worth zero but with 75k is as good as new. Just the job (peterchurch). Noisy and rattly but goes like a MkI or II Golf GTI. A proper SAAB.

Monday dawned, the car was ready. Fault was a blown relay – just one of those things – and therefore the ability to bypass the immobiliser, on this occasion, would have had no effect. Nonetheless, just in case, top man Mark gave me the benefit of his inside knowledge – so that’s one less worry! (Stanley blade and black insulation tape now in tool roll). He also confirmed the state of my wiring loom stating issues only affected pre ’94 cars and even then unlikely in Scotland’s cool climate!

Oh yes – almost forgot – No Charge.

Result :D :rock: .

Immobiliser

I have exactly the same fault with the immobiliser. Any advise on how to bypass it ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom