Discs and Pads - any recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jmarkha1

Car
s212 e350 AvantGarde
2012 W212 350 cdi

discs are half worn and pads need changing soon.
thinking of 'upgrading' to drilled sport pack discs at same time (both stock and drilled are 322mm up front.
was going to order OEM MB from a dealer via auction site - prices are approx 150 for front and 112 for back axle - inc pads, sensor and fitting bolts.

quite a few other brands - brembo, ATE selling similar - some with protective coating - any advice other than stick with standard?

Stick with Mercedes. Mercedes in Edinburgh, Essex and Newcastle have some very good offers on parts
I got 40% discount on front discs and pads for my old C63 from Edinburgh

I've gone with OEM pads & Sensors from M-B Newcastle and Brembo Discs from ECP for the S212. Certainly the rear discs on the C63 are made by Brembo so don't see why they wouldn't be good enough for an E350.

I've gone with OEM pads & Sensors from M-B Newcastle and Brembo Discs from ECP for the S212. Certainly the rear discs on the C63 are made by Brembo so don't see why they wouldn't be good enough for an E350.

I done a similar thing.

OEM from MB Southend on the front and Brembo on the rear, the combo seems fine to me.

my car currently has 332 x 32 non drilled discs on front.
MB OE discs advertised as 'sport package' are drilled - 332 x 32
do not see any reason these would not fit ?

I done a similar thing.

OEM from MB Southend on the front and Brembo on the rear, the combo seems fine to me.
Hi Chris, I m researching everything online and can not find an website to show how much are the "OEM" discs and pads...This is my first car here in UK, I have never maintained any car myself (DIY) but checking some articles I thing I will give a go on my MB w203
Question: Have you replaced the discs and pads yourself? any advice ? Have you done it before or was this your first time? would you do it again??
I have played a bit with my other cars but this is years ago but I m very confident in doing it mysef

Ref your parts, were the OEM much more expensive than the other brands such as brembo?? Do you know any website or place here in London that I can go to check OEM prices ? Thank you so much! my ride is MB W203 2005 Advantgarde

Hi Chris, I m researching everything online and can not find an website to show how much are the "OEM" discs and pads...This is my first car here in UK, I have never maintained any car myself (DIY) but checking some articles I thing I will give a go on my MB w203
Question: Have you replaced the discs and pads yourself? any advice ? Have you done it before or was this your first time? would you do it again??
I have played a bit with my other cars but this is years ago but I m very confident in doing it mysef

Ref your parts, were the OEM much more expensive than the other brands such as brembo?? Do you know any website or place here in London that I can go to check OEM prices ? Thank you so much! my ride is MB W203 2005 Advantgarde

Changing discs and pads is really very easy on the W203, get a new wear indicator for the front though.

I put pagid front drilled discs on my 350cdi about 4 months ago, from ECP. Discount code used so were usefully cheaper than from merc direct. They have been absolutely fine.

Got the rears to fit this weekend. Got some "bendix" stuff from GSF, 60% discount code so only about £50. Can't see why you really need to source these things from mercedes.

In fact, I have some pagid front pads that I removed when doing the swap, I totally forgot that when I bought the car the dealer changed them out (but not the discs!). They have about 10k miles on them. You can have them for free if can pick them up from Leeds.

Changing discs and pads is really very easy on the W203, get a new wear indicator for the front though.

They are it took all of 30mins, I also ordered pins, springs and bolts as they cheap from MB Newcastle.

In fact, I have some pagid front pads that I removed when doing the swap, I totally forgot that when I bought the car the dealer changed them out (but not the discs!). They have about 10k miles on them. You can have them for free if can pick them up from Leeds.
Thank you buddy, really appreciated! I will order all parts online ;-)

Thank you guys, I m planing to replace the rear discs and pads first, if all goes fine I will jump to the front side ;-) Thank you for all the help

Thank you guys, I m planing to replace the rear discs and pads first, if all goes fine I will jump to the front side ;-) Thank you for all the help
Did you buy all the parts for inside the drum brake for the hand brake ? would be a shame to change the rear discs and not do the handbrake shoes and springs at the same time. Even worse starting to remove them and finding the shoes stuck or damaged and no new parts readily to hand. Be prepared :thumb:

Did you buy all the parts for inside the drum brake for the hand brake ? would be a shame to change the rear discs and not do the handbrake shoes and springs at the same time. Even worse starting to remove them and finding the shoes stuck or damaged and no new parts readily to hand. Be prepared :thumb:

Ooh eck.....I', doing my rears this weekend and haven't got any handbrake bits. My feeling is that given I hardly ever, ever use the hand brake there should be bugger all wear on anything so I'm leaving it well alone. Fingers crossed!!

The rears are potentially a little more time consuming than the fronts, for the cost involved and as others have said replace the parking brake shoes etc at the same time.

When fitting discs make that the hub faces are completely clean and free of any corrosion or you run the risk of the disc not running true.

Ooh eck.....I', doing my rears this weekend and haven't got any handbrake bits. My feeling is that given I hardly ever, ever use the hand brake there should be bugger all wear on anything so I'm leaving it well alone. Fingers crossed!!
They do not wear per say but it has been known for the friction material to come away from the metal shoe (old age) and the springs to break. Worst case scenario (rare) is that they have been previously poorly adjusted and worn a groove inside the drum making it almost impossible for the disc to be removed without destroying the brake shoes, you will only find this out when it is too late to go back.

'Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail'

Not trying to put you off , just letting you know. Good luck :thumb: Let us know how you get on.

2012 W212 350 cdi

discs are half worn and pads need changing soon.
thinking of 'upgrading' to drilled sport pack discs at same time

I am unsure why the thought of having holes in your brake discs is seen as an "upgrade" I believe the idea of the holes was to prevent "gassing" where certain pads under very hard use (i.e race conditions) can emit gas or vapour that might limit pad pressure on the disc, thus the holes allowing it to dissipate?

For driving on public roads I cannot see any advantages except slightly reduced unsprung weight, you do of course loose thermal mass, if there is less disc material then it has a lower thermal capacity. I think fashion plays a much larger part in disc design and the marketing of "performance" brakes.

Also, you should technically inform your insurance company if you change to an "upgraded" part.

Some might see your fitting of enhanced brakes as an intention to drive faster and increase your premium of even refuse cover and, in the unfortunate event of you being in an accident you may have given them cause for not paying out on a claim if you have not informed them.

Last edited:
I am unsure why the thought of having holes in your brake discs is seen as an "upgrade" I believe the idea of the holes was to prevent "gassing" where certain pads under very hard use (i.e race conditions) can emit gas or vapour that might limit pad pressure on the disc, thus the holes allowing it to dissipate?

For driving on public roads I cannot see any advantages except slightly reduced unsprung weight, you do of course loose thermal mass, if there is less disc material then it has a lower thermal capacity. I think fashion plays a much larger part in disc design and the marketing of "performance" brakes.

They look cool though mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom