Discs and pads on E350 estate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
My S212 E350 AMG Sport has just passed its MOT with some advisories. The key item raises was the pads front and rear are 90% worn and the discs all need replacing.

At 35k I had the front discs and pads along with the rear pads replaced. The car is now on 70k and needs the above work.

Are discs really that soft they wear out as quick as the pads? It just doesn’t make sense.

Interesting...…. , I was surprised my E220 Estate had new brakes and pads at 40.000 miles and speaking to a Mercedes technician he said 40.000 miles was quite good. Have you had a quote ? sure mine was about £800 which I thought was not great value.

Did you use decent quality replacement discs? Either OEM/Brembo/ATE etc?

All work including servicing and MOTs are completed by MB.

In the end the rear discs didn’t require replacing.

I asked the guy why they were wearing so fast and it was the usual response....it’s a high performance lump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just did my fronts on my E250 CDI Sport estate (drilled discs) using genuine pads/discs/wear sensor all parts from Mercedes Southend £142.58. Mine will need the rears eventually they are a little bit cheaper than the fronts.

If the dealer wants silly money just buy the parts and pay someone to fit them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£599 including the £30 MOT cost.....

Our 350 saloon just hit 62k. Needed all 4 discs and pads too. Original front discs lasted 62k with 2 sets of pads. Rear discs the same.

The guy said in order to increase the stopping distance performance, the material is softer, but I thought that would be the pads and not the discs as well?

Old style asbestos pads used to last a lot longer than the newer metallic ones and of course the longer the pad life is designed to be the harder the pads will be on the discs, I suspect that it's also easier for manufacturers to calculate stresses and wear patterns these days so they probably engineer for a smaller margin of error and discs may not be getting thicker even though cars are getting heavier, more weight and performance just needs more stopping power, can't do much about that.

If your car sits around a lot so the discs get a coating of corrosion on them or it's used mostly in town the brakes will wear faster than a motorway mile muncher.

Just had another thought, is your car dabbing the brakes to clean water off the discs when it's raining and/or using the brakes for the traction control like mine does?

When I bought mine on 54k the front and rear discs were getting marginal. They might have lasted another year but Maundrell's kindly offered to fit me a new set at cost with no labour. No brainer.

Fabulous brakes. They can really haul the car up.

Old style asbestos pads used to last a lot longer than the newer metallic ones and of course the longer the pad life is designed to be the harder the pads will be on the discs, I suspect that it's also easier for manufacturers to calculate stresses and wear patterns these days so they probably engineer for a smaller margin of error and discs may not be getting thicker even though cars are getting heavier, more weight and performance just needs more stopping power, can't do much about that.

If your car sits around a lot so the discs get a coating of corrosion on them or it's used mostly in town the brakes will wear faster than a motorway mile muncher.

Just had another thought, is your car dabbing the brakes to clean water off the discs when it's raining and/or using the brakes for the traction control like mine does?

Probably a bit of a mixed bag. I suppose it spends as much time on the motorway as it does town and country road driving. Before my wife had her convertible she would use mine the most, so I suppose it would have been more short trips around town, now she’s using her own car more.

I’ve got no idea about the brake dabbing.

Just looking at my Mercedes Me, in 2018 it did 15600 miles. There were exceptions last year though because we put an additional 4000 miles on the car doing two driving holidays to Scotland and the South of France/ Spain. But generally it does about 10-15k a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom