Disguising copper pipe.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

As part of our central heating upgrade, we had a new Chrome heated towel installed, now I have the dilemma of how to best disquise the pipework.

With hindsight I should have requested some chrome piping be used, but didn't think with everything else going on.

The two options that I can think of are to paint them, either some colour to blend in with the tiling or a Chrome finish.

Secondly to use some plastic chrome look pipe sleeves, these would be the easiest but I am not sure how well these work, especially as the piping has a couple of 90 degree bends.

Thanks in advance

Tan

Paint might be the best. But I am amazed he didn't use chrome...for the tiny extra expenditure.

I'd get it changed to chrome. It will never look anything if you try and paint or use the plastic sleeves. It will bug you forever!:)

I spray painted some of mine in white, looked surprisingly good!!!;)

If it bothers you enough to post on it now you know what has to be done. Replaced with chrome has hot to be the way to go assuming that it is 15mm and has been fitted with inline valves and goes straight under floor. I would advise use of a compression fitting below floor to connect to existing instead of a push fit type as the grab rings in push fit fittings have difficulty gaining purchase on the harder chrome surface of the pipe. There should be no need to drain the whole system, if sealed system release pressure and work one side at a time, if open system use drain down bungs in expansion tank/vent pipe.

Edit: Just read the bit where you said it has 90 degree bends.

You can get chrome heat resistant paint.

Last edited:
No problem getting chrome compression fittings, Screwfix for one stock the chrome pipe and fittings. The plastic push fittings I used when installing my CH stated that chrome pipe must not be used only plastic/copper.

Screwfix will only sell you a 10m pack, use your local plumbers merchants for a 2m length, change to inline valves and you wont need the elbows. Screwfix are good but you need £50 in your basket to get free delivery, Toolstation are much the same outfit but deliver free for orders above £10. Handy if you only need a couple of things.

Polish the copper, it will look good, and then a coat of varnish, best appled when heating is off, left to dry then turn on heating.

Polish the copper, it will look good, and then a coat of varnish, best appled when heating is off, left to dry then turn on heating.

Unfortunately, all of the other metal work is polished chrome, so copper will look out of place.

Unfortunately, all of the other metal work is polished chrome, so copper will look out of place.

Ah, only getting half the story:D I know they did a plastic white clip on thing to conceal pipes a little, I wonder if a chrome finish would be available. Or failing that, stick baco foil shiny side out to the pipes:D:D

Can't believe the pipeologist didn't use chrome with the union under the floor (if poss)

Pipeologist. I really like that one.

I would never put a compression fitting under a floor, especially if it is going to be tiled.

When we did bathrooms and used chrome tube I would file off the chrome to reveal the copper and use a Yorkshire fitting. If the pipe was coming from the floor then there would be a fitting just below the ply substrate. If the pipe was coming from the wall I would pull the 90 degree bends with a bender.

Chrome compression elbows remind me of a urinal in a grotty boozer.

Where do the 2 pipes to fead the towel rail come from, the floor or the wall? If you can't see too much pipework and the walls and floor are finished then painting them floor-tile or wall colour will be your best bet.

Last edited:
Where do the 2 pipes to fead the towel rail come from, the floor or the wall? If you can't see too much pipework and the walls and floor are finished then painting them floor-tile or wall colour will be your best bet.

The pipework comes from the wall and there is about a metre of of the copper pipe on show. After looking at my options today I have decided to try and match it to the wall tile colouring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom