Disintegrating soundproofing in engine bay..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

conor1n

Car
E350 S212 M272 3.5 // SL 500 R230 M113 5.0
Hey guys,

Well.. as you can see in the photos the sound proofing has started to deteriorate and break away. It's annoying as if you touch off it it starts to break off and find its way into the MAF.

Anyway, I am wondering what I could do with it while I have the bulkhead out. Is there some kind of heat proof compound I could apply to seal it up and stop further deterioration?

I was also thinking of just folding it back into it's self so it's out of the way?

Any thoughts? Thanks

Sounds exactly like what I need.. I didn't even know to ask about that!

Would this be what I am looking after?

What would you suggest I do? Replace it all, overlay or just cut out the worn bit and replace.. is it super sticky adhesive on this stuff? I suppose after 190k miles, I could do worse than replace the lot.

I guess if it's good enough to be used in a Bugatti.........

1601970284721.png

So much to chose from I wouldn't know where to begin .

But using the opportunity I'd definitely add some panel damping as I did during lockdown.

2020-05-09 12.49.23.jpg

So much to chose from I wouldn't know where to begin .

But using the opportunity I'd definitely add some panel damping as I did during lockdown.

Have you a thread on this? Do those little spots make a difference?

Did you remove the OEM stuff, then add this and plan to re-add the OEM?

So many questions lol..

Sounds exactly like what I need.. I didn't even know to ask about that!

Would this be what I am looking after?

What would you suggest I do? Replace it all, overlay or just cut out the worn bit and replace.. is it super sticky adhesive on this stuff? I suppose after 190k miles, I could do worse than replace the lot.

I guess if it's good enough to be used in a Bugatti.........

View attachment 103179

If you are not looking to transform the car into a concert hall... and all you want is to restore what was originally there... why not look for a second-hand one on eBay? There would be a sticker with the P/N on it somewhere, or you could look it up on EPC.

BTW, these are about the best in the business:

But again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks guys,

I'll have a look. The E350 this is going into has 198k miles so i'm not looking to spend big bucks really (Dynomat). Just want to restore at least what was there before.

I have EPC and will have a quick look.

Also, it's petrol not diesel and is generally pretty well behaved from a sound perspective anyway :)

Yes reinstalled stock liner .

There are many quality alternatives to Dynamat products often cheaper .

Silent Coat & CTK .

Another MB one is going to be quick & easy and probably not too expensive (and should last another 198k miles :D). I replaced the one in my SL a few years back.

Considering what the car is, I'd go for the original.

And I'd go for one from a vehicle sound proofing company , the product will be far superior .

20201006_155714.jpg
20201006_155653.jpg

5b3defe91846b_e9706900-8832-423d-9ce2-890c8601b35e.jpg

Last edited:
Could well be, but it's not Mercedes, besides, do you really want to silence that engine ?

Stating the obvious really but if you are going for a stick on, buy some quality degreaser first otherwise it could end up more trouble than it's worth. 10 minutes of thorough cleaning will pay dividends

Stating the obvious really but if you are going for a stick on, buy some quality degreaser first otherwise it could end up more trouble than it's worth. 10 minutes of thorough cleaning will pay dividends

Yes thank you, I appreciate any and all comments. I am still very novice so what might be obvious to you, I could easily miss.

I have degreaser but also break cleaner and I have been loving break cleaner for cleaning bits as it's a lot less messy. Splush splush -> rag -> clean.

On one hand I think I want to leave it.. on the other I want to go all out and replacing that OEM proofing with some better stuff and also dress up the bonnet too.. If I go down that route would I see much of a difference?

Thanks.

....On one hand I think I want to leave it.. on the other I want to go all out and replacing that OEM proofing with some better stuff and also dress up the bonnet too.. If I go down that route would I see much of a difference?...
I think you need to decide what you wish to achieve. Is it for aesthetic purposes, practical, i.e. soundproofing, or returning to OEM look?
Decide on this then you can see what is the best option for you

Clatter yes , exhaust no .

Amen to this!

I have done a little driving with the bulkhead out and the clatter really comes true. It is the same clatter that is muted a lot with the panel installed..

I also took a drive in an S Class recently of the same vintage and that was dead quiet in the cabin. No clatter (Same engine).

My feeling is that I will go for a dedicated deadening brand which should be better than OEM and I would hope it will reduce clatter.

Currently looking at Silent Coat, isolator + buffler for two layer approach. Is there any value in doing the bonnet too. Will that only add value for when I drive with window open? I can't imagine it would make a difference with engine close.

Not interested in OEM as I think better bang for buck on others. Hidden in engine bay anyway and I plan on driving this baby into the ground..It represents my first foray into DIY wrenching and I must say I am secretly enjoying things breaking in it :p

Two layer approach always best , can't remember what car but here's it's oem soundproofing in the boot sides .

20201011_061450.jpg

Sound deadening material companies then up the game with higher grade , water proof , heat and chemical proof materials .

Scotty gets it .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom