Distronic radar thefts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunner8525

Car
W177 AMG
I’m trying to get an idea how wide spread this issue is, it appears that it’s far too easy to carry out by thieves on the W177 There are more and more used badges and radar sensors appearing on eBay, which are quite clearly stolen items (damaged edges, looms cut etc)

Mercedes are taking no responsibility at all and refuse to even investigate this issue further. It appears the alarm doesn’t even get triggered when wires are cut through. Has anyone had experience of this fault or fallen victim to such crime? I’m hoping a few of us could club together and hold mb accountable. I’m almost afraid to post this as I don’t want thieves to realise just how easy and profitable this theft could be

thanks, as a new mb owner I look forward to engaging on this forum in the future :)
Gunner B

There was a thread about this a while ago

Looks to be ridiculously easy to do.

Welcome the the forum!

Its no more or less prevalent than door mirror theft.

personally I find some of the parts prices criminal. £300 for my X5 replacement door mirror, £1200 for complete assembly.

I do agree that the distronic emblem is too easy to steal (not sure you can hold mb accountable) and the designers should think about these things in future.

but if the thieves want it they’ll steal it anyway

Can't see MB doing anything about it. If they were to integrate it into the grill so it is one piece, consumers would moan that the whole grille needs replacing if one became faulty or damaged.

And people wonder why their insurance is a criminal rip off 😂

Not too long ago there was thriving trade in Landover Discover 3 spare wheels, which were ridiculously easy to steal. Not quite as straightforward but almost as easy were the HiD lamp units but they started disappearing too.

Makes a change to reading about catalytic convertors being cut out whilst the car/suv is parked up.
Unfortunately the scumbag thieves will nick anything of value from your car if there is a market for the item.
Stealing alloy wheels seems to be a thing of the past.

That's two thefts I have read about recently, both in Birmingham area. My best advice is don't live in an inner city, its more than likely teaming with thieving scum bags.

If I had an AMG GT, I don't think I'd look for cheap airport parking, but for secure parking with a firm I'd heard of, preferably one of the national airport parking chains with a reputation to protect. If only the owner knew who'd recently had a front-end smash in an AMG GT, he'd know where to start looking.

If I had an AMG GT, I don't think I'd look for cheap airport parking, but for secure parking with a firm I'd heard of, preferably one of the national airport parking chains with a reputation to protect. If only the owner knew who'd recently had a front-end smash in an AMG GT, he'd know where to start looking.
I have said this before, its a very English problem. People want it all, want to look like they have it all, but wont pay for it. That's why this stuff happens.

Thanks, interesting to hear people’s thoughts on this, I disagree with the notion that mb are not liable to take any action regarding this matter. At the very least it’s negligence by design/manufacture therefore, (traditionally) not something that what result in a recall as on the surface mb would argue safety is not put at risk.. but they should be, at the very least be compensating customers. That said, one could argue you are putting the safety of your customers at risk as after the radar is removed the customer is subsequently losing two key safety aspects of the vehicle; the automatic collision/braking system as well as the adaptive cruise control.

Someone used the analogy of your smart phone being lost then asking Apple to pay for it. I would totally disagree with that idea. I would liken this case more to the Apple fiasco of slowing down iphones and battery life becoming compromised- in which case Apple then accepted liability (somewhat) compensated customers. Another example is Toyota offering catlock’s at a reduced price for those victim to a cat converted theft, where seemingly toyota vehicles are vulnerable to. I think people would have a different mindset if this happened to you. Mb cost for this work is over £1,300 (yeah, got your attention!). All for a measly badge being prized off which takes a thief under ten seconds to carry out. The parts are ridiculously expensive. Hmm who benefits from that.

I seriously urge anyone with the distronic radar kit to protect / apply adhesive as soon as possible. This is like mb placing pop on nut covers on their alloys and not having any lock nuts underneath. now would that be an acceptable design? I think not, you would have alot of alloy wheel thefts. Not good enough to say you live in a city so this is what you would expect, a certain Mr Khan said that and we all know how well that statement went down.
Extremely disappointed and surprised how negligent mb have been here

I think you are setting yourself up to a life of disappointment and frustration..
On the alloy wheel example, MB don't fit locking (anti-theft) wheel bolts, these are a dealer supply and fit. One doesn't see prolific alloy wheel theft simply because everyone has them nowadays.
The loss of the radar is not a safety issue as this is just a driver aide, not replacement, the car can still be driven perfectly safely.

Someone used the analogy of your smart phone being lost then asking Apple to pay for it. I would totally disagree with that idea.

I dare say you would, but I think few lawyers would agree with you. An ambulance chaser might, but not on a contingent fee basis, I suspect.

The analogy I used was actually a theft, as occurred in your case. That would be due to the actions of a third party, for which the manufacturer could not be held responsible.

If as a general principle manufacturers were to be held responsible for any perceived design defect, where would you stop? Should all cars be fitted with brackets for chains which could be passed around the car to secure the doors against theft, with the chains and padlocks provided by the manufacturer, to prevent thieves opening the doors?

You've been unlucky, it's annoying, and I sympathise, but I don't think MB can be blamed.

Thanks, interesting to hear people’s thoughts on this, I disagree with the notion that mb are not liable to take any action regarding this matter. At the very least it’s negligence by design/manufacture therefore, (traditionally) not something that what result in a recall as on the surface mb would argue safety is not put at risk.. but they should be, at the very least be compensating customers. That said, one could argue you are putting the safety of your customers at risk as after the radar is removed the customer is subsequently losing two key safety aspects of the vehicle; the automatic collision/braking system as well as the adaptive cruise control.

Someone used the analogy of your smart phone being lost then asking Apple to pay for it. I would totally disagree with that idea. I would liken this case more to the Apple fiasco of slowing down iphones and battery life becoming compromised- in which case Apple then accepted liability (somewhat) compensated customers. Another example is Toyota offering catlock’s at a reduced price for those victim to a cat converted theft, where seemingly toyota vehicles are vulnerable to. I think people would have a different mindset if this happened to you. Mb cost for this work is over £1,300 (yeah, got your attention!). All for a measly badge being prized off which takes a thief under ten seconds to carry out. The parts are ridiculously expensive. Hmm who benefits from that.

I seriously urge anyone with the distronic radar kit to protect / apply adhesive as soon as possible. This is like mb placing pop on nut covers on their alloys and not having any lock nuts underneath. now would that be an acceptable design? I think not, you would have alot of alloy wheel thefts. Not good enough to say you live in a city so this is what you would expect, a certain Mr Khan said that and we all know how well that statement went down.
Extremely disappointed and surprised how negligent mb have been here
I'm sorry but that's absurd. MB sell cars with out the OPTIONAL distronic equipment, if you are worried about it being stolen then don't buy a car with Distronic. It's your choice to make, MB are not liable for your bad decisions. This is the same as all those cretins who whinge about crabbing in 4 Matic cars, nobody needs an AWD car if you live in the city, but you choose it so you must live with the limitations of using the incorrect product for your needs.

There is zero negligence from the manufacturer. They are not going to compensate you for your bad choices (not having secure parking) so have a word with yourself.

If you cant afford Mercedes parts then don't buy a Mercedes. And its not Mercedes fault you live in the inner shitty, again, your choice. Classic English city slicker problem, want it all, want to look like you have it all, but wont pay for it and expect someone else to pay for it for you.

I have said this before, its a very English problem. People want it all, want to look like they have it all, but wont pay for it. That's why this stuff happens.
Is It? Because it happens in England doesn't mean everyone involved is English, maybe there are other aspects to your hypothesis or it isn't true at all?

That's two thefts I have read about recently, both in Birmingham area. My best advice is don't live in an inner city, its more than likely teaming with thieving scum bags.

Well it's obvious that the parts were stolen to order, for an accident repair garage that had a similar car with front collision damage waiting for work to begin...

Tracing the garage that ordered the Toyota parts might be difficult, but surely the police could trace the Merc parts thieves if the put their mind to it - how many AMG GT cars with front end damage were there in the Birmingham area at the time? Surely not too many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom