Distronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jbo

Car
CL55AMG,CL500(W216)
Does anyone know the exact loaction of the Distronic electronic control unit on a 2003 CL55??

Thanks in anticipation ....

On my last RHD SL it was behind the steering column.

Looking at the picture, I suspect its in the same place on your car

And, of course, don't forget theres a load of stuff in the radar pickup behind the grille

Whats up with your distronic ?

R

passenger footwell either on side or under the floor plate

Distronic - Cl55

Richard- you asked what is wrong with my distronic system........

.....Whats wrong is, its not fitted to my car!!!!

I am looking to try and retrofit the system. I have been looking to do this for some time and recently saw a partly burnt out CL55 on the internet. I have managed to purchase the radar unit and control unit, for very little money!!, off the current owner. I will be ordering the new wiring harnesses and the new grille badge to complete the parts required. Then all i have to do is SOMEHOW plug it all together and have the instrument cluster re-programmed to show the new distronic menu (i believe) and maybe also have the radar unit alignment setup!?!?

There appears to be two different,complete grilles listed by MB and two different badges if brought seperatley. Looking at my car i can remove the old badge from the original grille and hopefully replace it with the distronc version, therefore not having to buy a complete new grille..

Has anyone else ever tried this retrofit and may be able to give me any support if required???

The previous owner has found the control unit under the passenger footplate, thanks zerocool.

just had a look on wis but it doesn't show retrofit info for distronic,I can get you a wiring diagram though and block diagrams if it helps

zerocool -Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated as im sure that this is not going to be that straight forward. Would the info be able to be faxed of emailed ??

Do you work at a delaer or have you just got access to WIS??

Richard- you asked what is wrong with my distronic system........

.....Whats wrong is, its not fitted to my car!!!!
so thats why it doesnt work :) If you spot a burnt out SL55 let me know .. I have the grille but nothing else.

I think you need the switches as-well (at least my last SL55 had some extra switches for the distronic, maybee CL is different)

I suspect that the brakes need to be told that there is distronic as-well as the cluster.

Cheers
Richard

so thats why it doesnt work :) If you spot a burnt out SL55 let me know .. I have the grille but nothing else.

I think you need the switches as-well (at least my last SL55 had some extra switches for the distronic, maybee CL is different)

I suspect that the brakes need to be told that there is distronic as-well as the cluster.

Cheers
Richard

There are two kinds of early Distronic. 2 part version and all-in-one. Then there is Distronic Plus.

To get distronic working would be something like this
- front grille
- wiring harness
- switches and wood panel
- distronic sensor
- attachment kit
- (radiator support)

- cluster coding
- EIS coding
- (front SAM)
- ME unit SCN string
- (EPS module)

In short I believe that it is not possible to install unless MBENZNL does it. The explanation would take several pages. Gathering the parts will not produce any kind of result unless the Datacard is modified.

Distronic retrofit

:bannana:

Distronic now retro-fitted and in full working order..... all i can say is what a difference it makes !!!

Total cost was £895 inc vat

Second-hand parts = radar,control unit and distronic switch harness. Total £400

New parts = Main distronic wiring harness(£110), New distronic grille badge(£95) and New distronic switch(£75)

Fitting of the wiring harness = £50

Re-programming of the vehicle control units by Merc Dealer = £165

And a big thanks to "Richard" for advice and support = £free (just shows the excellent information available through these forums)

Last edited:
:bannana:

Distronic now retro-fitted and in full working order..... all i can say is what a difference it makes !!!

Total cost was £895 inc vat

Second-hand parts = radar,control unit and distronic switch harness. Total £400

New parts = Main wiring harness(£110), New distronic grille badge(£95) and New distronic switch(£75)

Fitting of the wiring harness = £50

Re-programming of the vehicle control units by Merc Dealer = £165

And a big thanks to "Richard" for advice and support = £free (just shows the excellent information available through these forums)

You can call me Richard if you want to but I wont answer.

Sorry not ths time Miro.....i thought you said that you believed "that it was not possible unless MBENZNL does it" !?!?!

The information i gathered was from access to WIS and EPC as well as having access to the donor vehicle. Richard provided support with his technical knowledge of Mercs with some additional clarification from Steve at MBENZNL.

So the thanks has to be directed to "Richard" on this occasion for his behind the scenes support.

Sorry not ths time Miro.....i thought you said that you believed "that it was not possible unless MBENZNL does it" !?!?!

The information i gathered was from access to WIS and EPC as well as having access to the donor vehicle. Richard provided support with his technical knowledge of Mercs with some additional clarification from Steve at MBENZNL.

So the thanks has to be directed to "Richard" on this occasion for his behind the scenes support.

So if you had not contacted Steve or been a member of this forum do you think that you would have enabled the outcome ?

I think thats the point i was making in my previous post !!!

Most things are achievable with the right support and knowledge.. and this forum has provided all of that and the technical know-how to complete the install....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom