DIY aftermarket parking sensors kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twosnowmen

Car
ML430, BMW 120d Sport
As title suggests, my ML doesnt have factory fitted parking sensors, (I only want them fitted tot he rear of car), Ive seen quiet a few DIY kits available on market.

Problem is, do I have a go myself, or pay a garage to fit them for me (£80-100) fitting costs?

Are they simple enough to fit? Ive got full towbar electrics and somebody told me that make's the job even easier but want to know what you chaps would do.

Would or have you had a go and done it succesfully?

Andy

For £100 I would get them fitted..

To do the job properly the bumper has to be removed and of course drilled etc.

Probably right, £70 for the kits (ish) and £100 fitting isnt to bad, but with recession, every penny counts.

Say's me with a 4.3litre V8.......

I dont like the look of parking sensors in bumpers so I fitted these Sensors and they work really well.

I bought a kit from Ebay, £16, including a drill bit for the holes, and fitted to a Vauxhall. 4 wires to the sensors, 1 to the reverse light circuit. 40 minutes to fit, and works a treat. All you need to be able to get at is a couple of inches behind the rear bumper and the reverse light wire.

Mine were around £30 off ebay and fitted myslef on my old ML. Worked a treat. Just had to slide bumper off runner a bit not removed completly.

DSCF7691.jpg

DSCF7659.jpg

DSCF4646.jpg

Marty,

Was it easy to fit? Did you need to completely remove the bumper?

Thanks,

Alistair

I left the rear bumper on and removed the bumper strip and stuck the tape behind it. There was already a hole to get back into the boot for connections so it only took about an hour.

It gets you pretty close to cars before the constant beep sounds so if you have a towbar i'd bare that in mind.

I bought a kit from Ebay, £16, including a drill bit for the holes, and fitted to a Vauxhall. 4 wires to the sensors, 1 to the reverse light circuit. 40 minutes to fit, and works a treat. All you need to be able to get at is a couple of inches behind the rear bumper and the reverse light wire.
Same on our focus, didn't distrub the bumper - managed to "fish" wires from below and poke though into boot - good colour match too.

Would buy the £70 invisible one for a Merc though.

Fitted a targa sr2 to our mpv. Fits around the number plate to no exposed bumper drilling. Does the job really well. Cost about £40 and fitted myself in a couple of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom