DIY Ceramic Coating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisk2010

MB Enthusiast
Car
C230 w203
Later in the year I'm planning a full detail on the car and i seriously considering applying a ceramic coating, it just seems to be the next step in detailing.

I aware of what it takes to prep the car but was wondering if anyone has any experience applying it themselves or brand recommendations?

I have been leaning towards Cquartz UK something like this as a starter.

CQuartz UK Edition 50ml

Good luck - I can't comment on ceramic products but you are going to be getting recommendations for just about every brand.:):p

My 2p.....,

Instead of using a pure ceramic, have you considered trying the new Turtle Wax Hybrid range? Seems to be very well received by the 'pro' detailers and a lot easier to apply than a proper ceramic.

Apparently the pure ceramic can be very difficult to correct if you don't get it right first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant comment on ceramic products but you are going to be getting recommendations for just about every brand.:):p

That's ok i have been looking into it and am prepared for the onslaught but i do want recommendations for brands that have been applied at home rather than by a professional detailer at £500 in a well kitted out space because i do not have a customer made clean room lol.

I have seen a thread a member done his ML a couple of years ago so it is doable.

That's ok i have been looking into it and am prepared for the onslaught but i do want recommendations for brands that have been applied at home rather than by a professional detailer at £500 in a well kitted out space because i do not have a customer made clean room lol.

I have seen a thread a member done his ML a couple of years ago so it is doable.

Yes my comment about pro detailers is because they are the guys testing the Turtle Wax Hybrid range but it is actually made for amateurs like us.

Without doubt it is doable - loads of products out there for amateurs. Also a lot of information on YouTube on how to do it, as well as information on sandpapering off a bad installation (extreme example).

I'm getting ready to do a spring clean on my car and will use the TWH range.

Yes my comment about pro detailers is because they are the guys testing the Turtle Wax Hybrid range but it is actually made for amateurs like us.

Without doubt it is doable - loads of products out there for amateurs. Also a lot of information on YouTube on how to do it, as well as information on sandpapering off a bad installation (extreme example).

I'm getting ready to do a spring clean on my car and will use the TWH range.

I haven't really looked into them that much but will take a looked later on tonight.

I really do want to get a proper Ceramic coating on though to add to my detailing skills.

Once prepped it seems very straight forward to apply i'll be sure to have a few spare applicators and so forth as it pretty much turns to glass on the sponge and i know to remove if applied incorrectly it needs a machine polishing which isn't a problem.

To apply though seems no harder than a good wax given the steps involved, I think once you take the fear of co*king it up away and break it down it's not too bad.

Attachments

• CarPro_CQUK_Instruction.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm in the same boat in wanting to correct the paint then ceramic coat it this spring. But not having a garage and having to do it on a driveway leads me to think I'll try the hybrid wax first, see how it goes and if I still want a ceramic coating, get it done professionally.

Do you have an indoor garage, completely dry and preferably humidity controlled?

I do not but come the time will have access to a decent area to work in.

That is why i was looking at Cquartz uk:

From their website
Features:
  • Compare to the best professional coatings available but easy to use for the amateur detailer
  • CQuartz UK is the easiest to apply coating on the market. No matter how cold, hot, or humid the application is simple
I do understand that timing, wind, dust and any other containment will be crucial and my very footsteps will kick dust up but ....... i am not worried my car is 14 years old and with the stone chips touched up by the previous owner it's never going to be car show perfect but it is in good hands and within my ability to pull it off.

To add i think the key will be just to go slow and work on small areas at a time, carefully and methodically because it flashes so quickly you just wouldn't be able to do a big area.

What i am interested in has anyone pulled it off if so how did you get on and was it worth the results?

Last edited:
.... i am not worried my car is 14 years old and with the stone chips touched up by the previous owner it's never going to be car show perfect but it is in good hands and within my ability to pull it off.

Is there any point going to all that effort then when there are easier products to use. I understand ceramic coatings on a new or nearly new car but with old touched up paintwork it will just show every imperfection in glaring high gloss detail.

Is there any point going to all that effort then when there are easier products to use. I understand ceramic coatings on a new or nearly new car but with old touched up paintwork it will just show every imperfection in glaring high gloss detail.

The way i see it is the car will undergo a full detail and paint correction whether or not i ceramic coat, but i do think a ceramic coat might be the best way to protect all my hard work.

Is it worth protecting that glossy finish in high detail after hours off prep and polishing? Well she ain't bad for a 14 year old car.

IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0587.JPG

That's a machine polish with a thin layer of Fusso coat no glazes.

Zymol was going to be the next wax i buy £50 odd and the Ceramic coating is £50 odd.

Last edited:
I've just been doing it to my wheels, I'm half way through at the moment. It's 'easy' to do, but I'm finding it difficult to be able to see where it's been applied, even with a powerful LED head torch/multple light sources. You end up 'using the force' most of the time. Probably easier on a car's flat panel, and it depends on the colour of the paint.

I'd say I'd only DIY if you have a machine polisher (and know how to use it) and the paintwork is in excellent condition and a dry, dust free environment with great lighting. Oh, and don't need to use the car for a couple of days!

It’s easy in a sense although I still wouldn’t have a go, personally

dust free environment, temperature controlled for 9-12h after applying is not something I could do unless renting a unit out overnight

I would approach it in the same sense as learning to use a DA, buy a scrap bonnet from eBay/local scrapyard and practice on that first, from decon to correction, polish and then coating

I have done it to brand new alloys, fudged the first attempt thus wasting approx £30 of product, with not enough left to finish so spending another £50. The result when done right is amazing but I think I’ll stick to fresh alloys out of a box

You’d be surprised what dust is floating about in what you think is the cleanest space, I have air quality test pumps in the van and often let contractors have a look under the microscope to show them what they’re breathing in. I could make a killing selling P3 masks if I carried them with me!

A nice quality wax on top of a nice sealant (and glaze if applied) will give plenty of protection on a mop’d car

ZYMOL Carbon

21083587_10155231082737284_8239973563196274952_o.jpg

21082831_10155231082667284_6192482456895756906_o.jpg

Thanks Ash now we're getting somewhere! I think the Pro stuff is more prone to temperature and so forth.

The one i am looking at seem to be more resilient.

Specifications:
  • Recommended working temperatures: 3c to 40c
  • Durability: 18-24 months
  • Water contact angle: 110 degrees
  • Light marring filling properties
  • Thick layer: 1~2 Micron each
and cures a bit quicker:
CarPro UK After Tips:
  • Park vehicle in direct sun any time after application is complete.
  • Keep surface dry for at least one hour after application
  • Wipe any water off the surface during the first 24 hours after application
  • Avoid washing with any soaps for the first 7 days
Ok i admit the middle two there ^ seem to conflict a little but none the less still seems perfectly doable without a high tech facility.

Unfortunately i am aware of what floats in the air in my early days working in a spray both i have seen all sorts stick to a freshly sprayed panel and paint fish eye because some dope polished a plastic panel on the other side of the workshop with pineapple shine.

Now days more aware as deal with LEV inspections but i think going slow panel at a time could still achieve great results.

ZYMOL Carbon

21083587_10155231082737284_8239973563196274952_o.jpg

21082831_10155231082667284_6192482456895756906_o.jpg

I was hoping for Brutus to make an appearance, gorgeous! I'm saving those btw your pictures disappear :p

If you could have had Brutus Ceramic coated Gav would you? Being a black car.

One panel at a time may work, but time between panels leaving those to the elements you may need to wash the other panels inbetween

One panel at a time may work, but time between panels leaving those to the elements you may need to wash the other panels inbetween

I did think about that. When i did my last machine polish i wiped each panel with an IPA solution before polishing to clear any dust before polishing because i done it outside i had to great care to make each panel was clear before starting.

If you could have had Brutus Ceramic coated Gav would you? Being a black car.

I think id miss waxing a car tbh, BUt i can see why plenty do, My cars tend to get used now and again, i dont do lots of miles i get just as much enjoyment cleaning them as i do driving them, weird i know :D

I know where you're coming from i love cleaning my car too but i find myself wanting to spend more time with the kids but more than anything i want to try it.

Those that have had Ceramic coatings swear by them and i'm having a hard time finding anyone outside a professional detailer that has one, which makes me want to do it all the more :D.

Well I’ve just spent over an hour watching half a dozen videos and if anything I’m convinced it’s easy to apply.

Once you past the paint prep and have a squeaky clean car to work with it’s a case of go slow a panel at a time cquartz flashes much quicker than it used to, then buff then hit it with the reload spray and keep dry for 12-24 hours.

It doesn’t need to kept in a homogeneous environment once the reload spray is applied just dry ..... well thats doable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom