DIY Comand Repair tommorrow - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Ok Ive got tommorrow off :bannana:, and my new Gyro arrived yesterday in the post, so gonna bite the bullet and try and remove the comand from my W210 :confused:. Any tips on this? Ive seen a mini guide on merc-upgrades.com on how they come apart, but wondered if there was anything else I should know like easy to break parts or wearing rubber gloves to avoid static etc etc

Any asiatcne much appreciated.

If that goes well I may also tr and put the new sidelight bulbs in, and have a fiddle with the CD changer thats a bit tempremental (not unexpected for the age/model).

Cheers

Earthing wise I think you will be okay while the Comand is intact ie as you get it out of the car.

Once indoors, keep the component boards away from anything that will generate static electricity. That includes paper....

Ohh and make sure you have little pots for the screws as you take them out.

And make sure you have the tools you need with you, before starting.

Last edited:
And make sure you have the tools you need with you, before starting.

Iv a hammer, stanley knife, a phillips screwdriver (no handle) and a 10mm spanner - will that be enough?:ban:

Nope

You will also need a mahoosive file to "fettle" the bits that don't fit right when you reassemble.

Don't say I didn't warn you :devil:

Top tip. Take lots of photos as you dismantle it.

It's astonishing how "It'll be obvious how this goes back" turns to "HTF does this fit" in about thirty seconds.

Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:
You know because you have watched me repairing mobiles.

Thank god for YouTube :D

Ok Ive got tommorrow off :bannana:, and my new Gyro arrived yesterday in the post, so gonna bite the bullet and try and remove the comand from my W210 :confused:. Any tips on this? Ive seen a mini guide on merc-upgrades.com on how they come apart, but wondered if there was anything else I should know like easy to break parts or wearing rubber gloves to avoid static etc etc

Any asiatcne much appreciated.

If that goes well I may also tr and put the new sidelight bulbs in, and have a fiddle with the CD changer thats a bit tempremental (not unexpected for the age/model).

Cheers

Dont worry this isnt as bad as it may look.

Remove the comand from the car. To do this remove the fascia around the comand unit. I think there are two screws hidden behind/under the ashtray (its a long time since I did one of these). The comand is then held in with two screws. Remove these and unplug the connections on the back.

Take the comand indoors and place it on a clean table. You can prise the lid off carefully (no screws) to reveal the Cd mechanism. Next to this is the Gyro. Make a clear note of its position. Offer the new one up to familiarise yourself with how it fits. Carefully remove the coloured clip noting where it fits and the angle. Disconnect the power to the gyro and pop it out. Connect power for the replacement and install the new one. Put the clip back in the same place as before, replace lid. Place into car and test.

It may well take a while for the satellites to be found. Once there are four or more, test the car on a reasonable drive.

Thanks Alfie, I have taken out the two screws at the bottom of the fascia, but the fascia wont come fully out, it seems to be held in. Do I need to find any other screws ? Im assuming the whole of the fascia needs to come out before I can get to the screws that secure the comand, or am I in need of some special tool?

Sorru so many questions, am currently searching net for articles on fascia removal!

Dont top vents have to come out cant remember myself!

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom