DIY expert? Shower re-grout advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
The time has come to re-grout my shower. It's a double size rectangular.
I have no idea where to start or what materials I need. Also I need to take off the shower control thing which doesn't look easy :/

All advice taken with thanks :)

Dave

Give it a very good clean. Then try and rake out some of the old grout. Then regrout with a tub of grout from your local DIY shop. Leave the control thing in place...unless you know plumbing.

Shower control unlikely to need plumbing works - post a pic up of it.
A grout rake is invaluable to help get the old out.

I disagree with the above - you need to obtain the grout from where the trade buys their stuff, not a diy shop. Tradesmen will not use a crappy product that lasts a short time.

Agree with that, go to a shop that only sells tiles and get the professional wall grout for showers there is a difference.
The average DIY store will try and sell you adhesive/grout universal rubbish

Go to a proper tile shop and ask for 'Bal' grout. That should do the trick.

Probably best then to give your recommendations.

I would add for the OP, that raking out grout is hard...very hard. If your old grout is merely discoloured, then rake out the loose stuff after a thorough cleaning and then use a creamy solution of grout to bring it back to the way you want it. Work in small areas at a time and clean as you go...good luck.

Last edited:
I'll check what my guy used at Christmas and come back with the results.

Hi, Mapei is one of the market leaders at the moment but there is nothing wrong with bal either. I've been a tiler for nealy thirty years and bal has stood the test of time whilst others have come and gone. Definately do not buy ready mixed grout or universal adhesive \ grout. Its like oil and water for your car ,they dont come in the same container.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom