DIY Gatso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Located in South Ascot, which I happened upon this morning.

I've no idea why it's actually there. It was not there last week, and I don't think your old faithful Origin or Roadangel, etc will pick this one up.

As an aside - when I went to take these pics this afternoon a 5 series beemer nearly drove into the back of a female teenager driving a Mk II Golf, who slammed on the anchors when she saw the 'camera'.

1scam.gif
2scam.gif
3scam.gif

Click here for the bigger images

K

Last edited:
:D Wonder where all the money goes from all the fines?

more cornflakes perhaps?

To make more empty cornflake box cameras :p

K

That just looks like some bored kid on a sunday afternoons project :s

It's probably there because the residents are hacked off at pulling cars from the surrounding countryside - especially the Golf and 5 series variety.

Just look at the road - junctions / entrances left and right, overhanging trees, poor road surface, chance of mud and leaves and s bends in the distance. Just the thing Max P Nova driver wants to razz his steed down.

Still no excuse for adding to the potential for accidents of a different variety (rear end shunt) though.

DIY Gatso…

Originally posted by clk270
It's probably there because the residents are hacked off at pulling cars from the surrounding countryside - especially the Golf and 5 series variety.

Just look at the road - junctions / entrances left and right, overhanging trees, poor road surface, chance of mud and leaves and s bends in the distance. Just the thing Max P Nova driver wants to razz his steed down.

Still no excuse for adding to the potential for accidents of a different variety (rear end shunt) though.

I don't suspect the the Forces of Law and Disorder will be banging on the property owners door and asking him any arkward questions. I know that area all too well. Loads of retired hoorays and Army Officers types who want to keep the riif-raff out old chap! I wonder what would happen if I tarted up my V class to look like my local constabularies Rapid Response Vehicle? Well, I would definately not get cut up any more :), but as I probably don't belong to the right club I would probably be nicked :-(

I have to confess that stretch of road is not really suitable for hacking up/down on. It's really littered with potholes and bumps, etc.

It's bad enough on regular suspension with 15" steels - Good old Kev in his Mk1 Fiesta XR2, with 60mm lowered ultra-hard sports setting suspension and 17" alloys would loose all his fillings and most of his car parts.

CLK - There is another road approx 2 miles away which is exactly as you describe - with cars sitting on their side in the ditch. When I was on nights on a saturday night (1 in every 4 weeks) I could guarantee to a shout where there was a repored car in the ditch - which we had to investigate each time in case of bodies still in the car. In all my time we never ever found anyone!

Vito - yes the residents are generally exactly as you describe (with the exception of me of course).

Also Vito - as your local, you might be interested in this: Welcome to Sunninghell

Last edited:
Just found out it was featured in one of the Bracknell newspapers last week - along with pics of the person responsible (Retired Major Tarquin Ponsonby Biscuit-tin).

K

IIRC this guy was told by the police to take it down.

Gav.

Through the lanes to Aylesbury from Chipping Camden, I think it is in the village of Lower Heyford someone has made what looks like a speed camera out of wood. The full size jobby. It also doubles up for a bird box. Looks effective the first time you see it.

Dave

What an ar*e..... is it not sufficient for a Talivan to park in a bus stop along that road with monotonous regularity!:crazy:

....As an aside my wife now feels very stupid - she was caught by the van in the layby opposite the new flats on the A30 - 38 in a 30...

Whta's worse is that it's my car:rolleyes:

BTW love the Sunninghell site!

R

oh yes - that infamous van on the A30.

8 people at work got done by it in a 5 minute stretch, at approx 08:30, during the summer.

Our MD sent a very strongly worded letter of complaint to the necessary folks.

Never heard what happened.

As for Tracey getting done - bummer - you could do a Hamiltons special (and I don't mean the bacon & eggs - hummmm), but plead the "we can't remember which one of us was driving" line. And ask for a copy of the pic - to see if you can be done for it. If it's inconclusive - I'd go for it.

Up for xmas beers?

K

I think she's going to take the points(she's already got 3), we did think about what would be the best solution for insurance costs - 1 driver with 6 or 2 with 3 each.....

But of course that's illegal isn't it ;)

Yes, I'll drop you a note about the beers - Berkshire mini GTG anyone?

R

... update .... update .... update ....... update ......

Well ...

Spoke to a very decent chappie at TVP L area.

Legally speaking the 'scamera' is 100% legit.

Because it is sited in a private garden and is not causing an obstruction, there is nothing they can do.

I asked if there have been any accidents on that stretch recently, and all they have is a biker was knocked off his bike in September and a report of a dangerous driver in october. However, as the road is 2 or 3+ miles long, it's highly unlikely that they occurred at that specific spot.

He suggested my next step would be to contact the local council and request that councils highways and traffic dept investigate.

He did say that and I quote (not verbatim) that should there be a bonfire for example, then it would be an issue. I don't know if he was suggesting or implying something !

I'm not sure I fancy taking on the Council, who are more interested in backhanders and **** scratching than actually responding to the needs of it's parishioners (see http://www.sunninghell.com for reference).

I suppose what I could do is erect some signs along the lines of: "WARNING - FAKE camera ahead"

Then again - I'd probably get done for it.

K

burn them, burn them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom