diy head gasket w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

japimport

Car
mercedes c200 sport,mercedes c200 elegance.
hi all,some time soon im going to attempt to change the head gasket on my c 200 95,ive a bad oil leak just above the timing chain tensioner,i only changed the oil a couple of weeks ago, and now it shows that its half on the dipstick,im already armed with a haynes manual,so thats a start,has anyone any pointers/tips for me before i take this on,what brand of head gasket kit to use,and while i have the head off,what else should i replace,
any help would be great,and ill do a (how to) on it with lots of pics,
im confident ill be able to do it,just need some advice before i go near it, thanks as always for your help, i really appreciate it.;)

There's this which is basically the same except yours is with 4 cylinders PeachPartsWiki: Head Gasket Replacement

different engine here but lots of useful tips

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/howto/63184-howto-change-head-gasket-12v-3ltr-m103.html

this deals with the water pump and v belt tensioner detail- not that you need to replace the water pump of course!

Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

You must use a true Mercedes head gasket part no A1110162620 [BUT CHECK AGAINST CHASSIS NO] Êàòàëîã

Use new cylinder head bolts as this engine was known for stretching bolts.

Make sure to get the head skimmed/trued at an engine machine shop-it will probably be warped slightly---- to avoid this job again in 6 months!!!

The one thing that can be a PITA is removing the pin holding the top of the timing chain guide to the cylinder head-good idea to have a new one to hand. You may want to renew some of the timing gear while you are in there it depends on wear/mileage but the duplex chain system lasts a long time.

ps:- A word to the wise altho seemingly straightforward the job has enough pitfalls to deter all but the most experienced DIY mechanics :eek: and is not IMHO---- just an afternoon job :wallbash:--- especially for one person on their own :dk: if you have done lots of CHG's already then that's a different story of course :thumb:

Last edited:
when re timing the camshafts make sure your emgine is set at 25 degrees not TDC or you will bend valves and have to start all over again. Also make sure you reset the chain tensioner or you will snap a cam.

Last edited:
thanks for your help lads,il need all the help i can get,do you think ill have to get the head machined,its not like i have mayo in the oil etc,if i just run a straight edge over it would that be ok,i know all about the chain tensioner on theese cars, i have already changed mine last year,so ill just order the head gasket kit from mercedes/or will gsf be ok,is ther anything else ill need

jesus. This is why i wish a was a mechanic and not a hair stylist. I would love to do something like this! Except i wouldn't have a hell hope in knowing where to start...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom